The Student Room Group

Becoming an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon

Hey there,
I'm a swedish student currently studying dentistry in sweden, but I would love to live and work in the UK someday. The thing is, that I want to be an oral and maxillofacial surgeon (OMS).

To be one here in Sweden you only need a dental degree, but I hear you need a dual dental and medical degree in the UK? So I guess I would have to get a medical degree first too. Is there any advantages aspiring OMSs get when applying to get the second degree in the UK? Like if I already have my dental degree, is that of any help when applying for med school? Or is there maybe any way I can do a fast-forward version so I couldn't have to wait until I'm 40 to start working? Any courses solely focusing on the surgery part of Medicine?
Thankful for any kind of responses, whether it's answers or just speculations.
Em. xx
Reply 1
Original post by Emily.HQ
Hey there,
I'm a swedish student currently studying dentistry in sweden, but I would love to live and work in the UK someday. The thing is, that I want to be an oral and maxillofacial surgeon (OMS).

To be one here in Sweden you only need a dental degree, but I hear you need a dual dental and medical degree in the UK? So I guess I would have to get a medical degree first too. Is there any advantages aspiring OMSs get when applying to get the second degree in the UK? Like if I already have my dental degree, is that of any help when applying for med school? Or is there maybe any way I can do a fast-forward version so I couldn't have to wait until I'm 40 to start working? Any courses solely focusing on the surgery part of Medicine?
Em. xx

There are some universities that offer 3 year medical degrees for people who are already dentally qualified. However, these courses are very competitive and are usually taken by dentists who are already working as an SHO in oral and maxillofacial surgery. The universities that definitely offer 3 year courses are: Barts, Kings, Birmingham, Manchester. There may be more but those are the ones I'm aware of.

It's also possible for you to enter a normal GEP 4 year degree, you will be competing against graduates of biomedical sciences and pharmacy etc. Having a dental degree may or may not be an advantage during your application.

Finally, after exhausting those two options it is also possible to apply as an undergraduate for the 5 year medical course where you will be competing against school leavers as well as graduates who are not elligible/applying for the 4 year GEP medical degree.

Are you dentally qualified already or are you still a dental student?
Original post by Emily.HQ
Hey there,

Em. xx

do you have to take any examinations when you start working in the UK?
Reply 3
Original post by Kartace
There are some universities that offer 3 year medical degrees for people who are already dentally qualified. However, these courses are very competitive and are usually taken by dentists who are already working as an SHO in oral and maxillofacial surgery. The universities that definitely offer 3 year courses are: Barts, Kings, Birmingham, Manchester. There may be more but those are the ones I'm aware of.

It's also possible for you to enter a normal GEP 4 year degree, you will be competing against graduates of biomedical sciences and pharmacy etc. Having a dental degree may or may not be an advantage during your application.

Finally, after exhausting those two options it is also possible to apply as an undergraduate for the 5 year medical course where you will be competing against school leavers as well as graduates who are not elligible/applying for the 4 year GEP medical degree.

Are you dentally qualified already or are you still a dental student?

Hi :smile:
Yes, I'm still a dental student. Thanks for your answer, I'll check out the unis you've mentioned!
Reply 4
Original post by rumana101
do you have to take any examinations when you start working in the UK?

All I know is that I have to register with the NHS, and they accept swedish qualifications.

Quick Reply

Latest