The Student Room Group

Do you support gay marriage?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by biglad2k16
Nope

For what reasons?

Original post by jake4198
Yes. And there's no excuse for being against it. Two loving people - happy, content and free - should not be excluded from society as atypical or immoral. Religious fanatics who oppose it shouldn't be instilling their religious oppression on other people.

I don't think you should support things on the basis that they love each other, because I doubt that's the basis on which you decide many of your morals, making inconsistent reasoning.

Original post by hoping4thebest
no I don't

For what reasons?

There is nothing fanatical about defending traditional marriage.

Why appeal to tradition? Again, I say this because I doubt you use this consistently, making you also a hypocrite.

Original post by cashcash871
Not really no. I think marriage should be between a man and a woman.

For what reasons? Are you religious? (I need something to work with.)

Original post by BirdIsWord
I don't oppose it but I don't necessarily support it.

For what reasons?

Original post by squish562
No I'm against it.

For what reasons?
Original post by Kraixo
No

Why?

Original post by Ladbants
I'm still making my mind up but so far I'm leaning towards no.

Why?
I'm fine with it as long as no one is forced to carry out gay weddings.
There is nothing fanatical about defending traditional marriage.

Traditional marriage?

In Exodus 21:10, a man can marry an infinite amount of women without any limits to how many he can marry.

In 2 Samuel 5:13; 1 Chronicles 3:1-9, 14:3, King David had six wives and numerous concubines.

In 1 Kings 11:3, King Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines.

In 2 Chronicles 11:21, King Solomon's son Rehoboam had 18 wives and 60 concubines.

In Deuteronomy 21:15 "If a man has two wives, and he loves one but not the other, and both bear him sons...."

There's no such thing as "traditional marriage". Definitions of marriage have been changing since humans started to have more complex cultures and customs.

To Hell with you and the so-called "traditional marriage". LGBTQ people should be able to marry and are able to marry, and that's how it'll stay. Period.
Original post by XcitingStuart
For what reasons?

I don't think you should support things on the basis that they love each other, because I doubt that's the basis on which you decide many of your morals, making inconsistent reasoning.

For what reasons?

Why appeal to tradition? Again, I say this because I doubt you use this consistently, making you also a hypocrite.

For what reasons? Are you religious? (I need something to work with.)

For what reasons?

For what reasons?

Religious beliefs
Original post by serions871
I'm fine with it as long as no one is forced to carry out gay weddings.

A good, fair view.
I think that gay couples should absolutely be able to access the same legal arrangements as straight couples.

Obviously churches and the like should not be obligated to perform the services.
Original post by Withengar
Traditional marriage?

In Exodus 21:10, a man can marry an infinite amount of women without any limits to how many he can marry.

In 2 Samuel 5:13; 1 Chronicles 3:1-9, 14:3, King David had six wives and numerous concubines.

In 1 Kings 11:3, King Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines.

In 2 Chronicles 11:21, King Solomon's son Rehoboam had 18 wives and 60 concubines.

In Deuteronomy 21:15 "If a man has two wives, and he loves one but not the other, and both bear him sons...."

There's no such thing as "traditional marriage". Definitions of marriage have been changing since humans started to have more complex cultures and customs.

To Hell with you and the so-called "traditional marriage". LGBTQ people should be able to marry and are able to marry, and that's how it'll stay. Period.

Well, people are allowed to believe whatever they want.
Original post by XcitingStuart
A good, fair view.

You're only saying that because you agree with him.
No.
Original post by Ladbants
I know it is already legal in the UK but I was wondering what people thought about the issue.

I don't support it but i'm not against it, lt them do what they want lol it's their life
Original post by Anonymous
You're only saying that because you agree with him.

Of course.

I support same-sex marriage because I myself am likely to want one when I am older, and I am invested into a relationship (being mostly attracted to men, the same sex.)

I actually have principles, even if they act disadvantageous to me sometimes. Every time I compromise on my values, I would lose a part of myself, so I don't compromise.

I'm pro-conscience; I think that people should be allowed to have same-sex marriages, but I don't think people in churches should be forced to perform the ceremony, to go against their conscience, especially so as they aren't necessary, and there are currently people willing to do this.

I have adopted this view because I believe it;s a fair view, so why do you make this point?

"pro-conscience" is the vocabulary to take away from this.
Yes!

Original post by qasim-98
Do gay people smell like shi*t..?

Jus for the obvious reasons you know, always been a question I wanted to ask

They both looked beautiful that day ahhh.
Reply 35
Of course gays should marry, why should only straight people suffer.
I swear you're muslim :confused:
Yes, accepting gays means treating them equal. They should have the same rights to enjoy and cherish a wedding day.
Original post by BirdIsWord
I don't oppose it but I don't necessarily support it.

Same.:smile:
huh lol
So you left it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending