The Student Room Group

Is there any difference between amylase and carbohydrase?

I read that amylase is an enzyme which breaks down starch into glucose but I also read that carbohydrase does the same thing? I also read that amylase is produced in the mouth and salivary glands - does that mean carbohydrase is produced there too?

Reply 1
I think amylase is a specific type of carbohydrase, correct me if im wring though
Original post by metrize
I think amylase is a specific type of carbohydrase, correct me if im wring though

yeah this is correct
Original post by metrize

Original post by Mayhem™
yeah this is correct

Cool! Thanks guys! :smile:
Reply 4
amylase is an example of a carbohydrase enzyme :smile:
Reply 5
yes carbohydrase refers to a group of enzymes and amylase falls under that category. It is specific as it breaks down starch into maltose
Reply 6
thanks, i was wondering this too
amylose and amylosepeptin are what make up starch to amylase is the enzyme that breaks down the amylose part of starch down into the monosaccharide alpha glucose bonds 1-4
agreed, i was also wondering this !
thanks everyone
Original post by Zx12r1
yes carbohydrase refers to a group of enzymes and amylase falls under that category. It is specific as it breaks down starch into maltose

Sorry what is the difference between Starch, Maltose and Glucose?
Thanks
Amylase is a subcategory of carbohydrase . There are various enzymes in carbohydrase and amylase is one type of it.Hope that helps:smile:
Original post by Andyroo_88
Thanks

Starch is a plant Fiber that is broken down by amylase. Maltose is a type of sugar compound that is broken by maltase and glucose is also a type of sugar molecule
Original post by Andyroo_88
Thanks

Starch is a very large storage molecule composed of many glucose molecules bonded together in long chains. Maltose is a disaccharide - composed of two glucose molecules bonded together - that's produced when starch is broken down by the enzyme amylase. Glucose is a simple sugar that's used as the main fuel source for the human body and most other life.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Starch is a very large storage molecule composed of many glucose molecules bonded together in long chains. Maltose is a disaccharide - composed of two glucose molecules bonded together - that's produced when starch is broken down by the enzyme amylase. Glucose is a simple sugar that's used as the main fuel source for the human body and most other life.

Thank you so much!
You have helped me revise for my bio test

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending