The Student Room Group

Are these the right subjects for me?

Hey! I'm currently in the middle of my GCSEs, and so obviously the looming prospect of A Levels are getting closer and closer every day. I already know that I want to study Psychology at university, but I'm not sure if the subjects I want to take for A Level are the right choices.

I want to take French, Psychology and Physics (all at A2) and then also do the EPQ. However, before Physics became an option for me, I wanted to take Health & Social Care, but I was informed by the careers lady that it wasn't a very good subject to choose if I wanted to go to a Russell Group uni because they didn't really see it as an actual A Level.

So do you think that these are good subjects to take, or is there anything else you guys recommend instead?
Original post by Elena H
Hey! I'm currently in the middle of my GCSEs, and so obviously the looming prospect of A Levels are getting closer and closer every day. I already know that I want to study Psychology at university, but I'm not sure if the subjects I want to take for A Level are the right choices.

I want to take French, Psychology and Physics (all at A2) and then also do the EPQ. However, before Physics became an option for me, I wanted to take Health & Social Care, but I was informed by the careers lady that it wasn't a very good subject to choose if I wanted to go to a Russell Group uni because they didn't really see it as an actual A Level.

So do you think that these are good subjects to take, or is there anything else you guys recommend instead?

They aren't bad choices at at all. However, generally, when picking your a levels, you should be aware of the career path you want to follow so the A-levels you choose will correspond to them. For example, If you were to do let's say psychology at Uni, you would pick subjects like Maths and bio which are suited to them and required. When looking at your subjects, the don't seem to compliment each other and do not relate to each other very much. Would you mind telling me what you are hoping to do in the future, or what you think you would like to do?
P.S Physics is considered the toughest A-level, so if you are not hoping to do anything in the future which requires Physics, I would urge you to pick something else.
Original post by Elena H

Would you not want to take Biology over Physics? I think that if you like Physics, you'd cope with it as long as you put in the work, but surely Biology would be more relevant for Psychology? And bear in mind that you'd be doing Physics without Maths, which is something I was personally warned off doing.
Reply 3
Original post by Hasanalm
They aren't bad choices at at all. However, generally, when picking your a levels, you should be aware of the career path you want to follow so the A-levels you choose will correspond to them. For example, If you were to do let's say psychology at Uni, you would pick subjects like Maths and bio which are suited to them and required. When looking at your subjects, the don't seem to compliment each other and do not relate to each other very much. Would you mind telling me what you are hoping to do in the future, or what you think you would like to do?
P.S Physics is considered the toughest A-level, so if you are not hoping to do anything in the future which requires Physics, I would urge you to pick something else.

In the future I'm definitely hoping to do something along the lines of Forensic Psychology, or something to do with criminal psychology. Anything along those lines really. Physics is my best science out of the three, (Biology is my worst) so I thought if I had to do a science subject (which I was recommended to do) I would choose Physics.
Reply 4
Original post by Edminzodo
Would you not want to take Biology over Physics? I think that if you like Physics, you'd cope with it as long as you put in the work, but surely Biology would be more relevant for Psychology? And bear in mind that you'd be doing Physics without Maths, which is something I was personally warned off doing.

Yeah, out of the three, Physics is my best science. I am hopeless at Biology! Also, if I'm lucky I'll get a B in Maths at GCSE level, so I really don't know if I would be able to handle Maths at A Level. What do you think about Health & Social Care? Is that a no-no? It's an A Level, not a BTEC, but apparently most universities still don't see it as an A Level?
Original post by Elena H
Yeah, out of the three, Physics is my best science. I am hopeless at Biology! Also, if I'm lucky I'll get a B in Maths at GCSE level, so I really don't know if I would be able to handle Maths at A Level. What do you think about Health & Social Care? Is that a no-no? It's an A Level, not a BTEC, but apparently most universities still don't see it as an A Level?

Well, Physics A-Level has a lot of Maths, and some of my friends who were doing triple science but no Maths had to have extra Maths lessons to catch up in Physics because they hadn't done M1 (the Maths module). I'm not too sure about Health and Social Care, as traditional, facilitating subjects are always your best bet. I think you should perhaps try contacting some of the universities that you intend to apply to, but if I'm honest, I would say take another subject over Health and Social Care. If you want to apply for Psychology, I think some universities require two sciences, anyway (i.e. Biology, Chemistry, Maths or Physics). Best of luck and feel free to ask me any more questions, although I'm no expert.
Reply 6
I have done A2 Physics, it is hard and requires lots if time, and don't see why you want to choose Physics when you want to do Psychology
Original post by Elena H
In the future I'm definitely hoping to do something along the lines of Forensic Psychology, or something to do with criminal psychology. Anything along those lines really. Physics is my best science out of the three, (Biology is my worst) so I thought if I had to do a science subject (which I was recommended to do) I would choose Physics.

Forensic psychology is not available as a bachelors course (I think?) & it requires chemistry knowledge.
Reply 8
Original post by alevez2ez
Forensic psychology is not available as a bachelors course (I think?) & it requires chemistry knowledge.

Yeah, I'd be doing something like Psychological and Behavioural Sciences. I'd rather do not any sciences if I'm honest, but I've been told I have to basically.
Reply 9
Original post by Reda2
I have done A2 Physics, it is hard and requires lots if time, and don't see why you want to choose Physics when you want to do Psychology

I was told I had to do a science (doesn't matter which) and as Physics is my best, I decided to choose that.
Original post by Elena H
Yeah, I'd be doing something like Psychological and Behavioural Sciences. I'd rather do not any sciences if I'm honest, but I've been told I have to basically.

If you want to study psychology in a decent university, you will have to take 1-2 subjects outside your comfort zone. Sorry but that is just the way it is! Don't completely be worried though, a lot of people are in the same boat and a lot of them start growing to like the subject. You may find yourself hating biology now, but who knows..you may like it later.

It does suck. I'd rather take business, drama, psychology over [hard subject] alone..but over time I took the subject as a challenge and enjoyed learning it. You could do it as well.. just change your mentality.

As for Biology, I loved this subject since the very beginning.
Original post by Elena H
I was told I had to do a science (doesn't matter which) and as Physics is my best, I decided to choose that.

If this is the case then just check some universities you would like to go to and see if your subject choices meet their subject requirements. If you get positive results, you're most likely good to go. :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by Elena H

In all honesty some line like forensic psychology will have a lot of biological content. Biology is definitely suited to psychology. Sometimes it nice to make your a level subjects tie in with each other and what you want to do in the future. Are you sure this is what you really want to do?
From what I've seen psychology has done biological aspects to it.
Health and social care is a big no for Russell group unis. It's rarely counted as a proper a level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest