The Student Room Group

What would America want from a British citizen?

Since l am applying to study in America next year in July, l was hoping to know a little bit more about the course l want to do which is microbiology, and of course l did research but it wasn't giving me the details l was searching for.

In America, what would universities want from me to in order to study microbiology? Is it like England where you have to have set biology? Or Not?

Do you also think l ahould revise for my SAT/ACT because l've done a test paper on one and l got a good score tbh, it seems straight forward.

Thanks x

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the.chantele
Since l am applying to study in America next year in July, l was hoping to know a little bit more about the course l want to do which is microbiology, and of course l did research but it wasn't giving me the details l was searching for.

In America, what would universities want from me to in order to study microbiology? Is it like England where you have to have set biology? Or Not?

Do you also think l ahould revise for my SAT/ACT because l've done a test paper on one and l got a good score tbh, it seems straight forward.

Thanks x

You don't generally apply to study specific subjects at American universities/colleges. For four-year college degrees, you apply to schools, follow a broad curriculum in the first two years, and then pick a major and minor in the final two years. (I think.)

You would need the usual qualifications (GCSEs, A Levels/Advanced Highers/IB), plus SATs/ACT. And references, essays, etc.. And extra-curriculars.

@Student403 can probably tell you more, having successfully applied to Cornell this year. :woo:

@iEthan, please move to Studying in North America. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
@iEthan, please move to Studying in North America. :smile:

:ninja:
Oh wow, thats it...

I've just done my AS exams and l'll be sitting my SAT/ACT exams in July.
Original post by iEthan
:ninja:

So how did you do your way to study in America?
So how did you do your way to study in America?

I don't study in America! :colondollar: I'm just a mod, so I had to move your thread to the right place :colondollar: sorry I couldn't help you!
Original post by iEthan
I'm just a mod

'Just' a mod. Interesting concept. :lol:
Does anyone have a website/link where I can get SATs papers
Original post by Hydeman

grrrrr
Original post by Hydeman

:colonhash:

Once upon a time we were just like the rest of you. A few extra privileges don't mean much in the grand scheme of things :tongue:
Original post by ODES_PDES
Does anyone have a website/link where I can get SATs papers

Have you tried Googling for them? I seem to remember finding some fairly easily when I was briefly contemplating applying to American universities.

Original post by Indeterminate
:colonhash:

Once upon a time we were just like the rest of you.

Yes. And then you left us. How could you. :emo:

A few extra privileges don't mean much in the grand scheme of things :tongue:

Whatever you say. :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman

Yes. And then you left us. How could you. :emo:

Ever considered joining us? :colone:

Whatever you say. :tongue:

B-b-but... I'm exactly the same as I was before :cry2:
Original post by Indeterminate
Ever considered joining us? :colone:

I did actually. :beard: I applied once when I had a pretty tainted community record, predictably got rejected, and by the time I got a clean slate (well, as near as it's possible to get to one with posting tips), I'd changed my mind about wanting to join. :tongue:

B-b-but... I'm exactly the same as I was before :cry2:

You're all purple and squishy now. :emo:

Spoiler

Oh wow, thats it...

I've just done my AS exams and l'll be sitting my SAT/ACT exams in July.

Why are you taking both? Just stick to one. They only need one. Do the one you find easier to score higher on

Thanks x

It's not as important to have done so much biology. It's hard to say exactly since I don't know if you're applying to really competitive ones or not. Also do check out the SAT/ACT percentiles for colleges you're targetting, so you know what to aim for. Generally the course is much broader at first than that in the UK.
Original post by Hydeman
I did actually. :beard: I applied once when I had a pretty tainted community record, predictably got rejected, and by the time I got a clean slate (well, as near as it's possible to get to one with posting tips), I'd changed my mind about wanting to join. :tongue:

Aha fair enough :tongue:

You're all purple and squishy now. :emo:

Spoiler

Purple, yes, but squishy? :hmmmm: :laugh:

You'll usually enter the Biology/Life Sciences general pool. Study for 1-2 years of the 100/200 series courses and declare a major by the end of your 1st/2nd year (really depends on the school, and which courses you've taken). Your grades will matter when declaring for microbiology/immunology, so don't slack off. This will vary school to school, but it holds true for the majority of cases.

Thanks x

Your accent

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zombiejon
You'll usually enter the Biology/Life Sciences general pool. Study for 1-2 years of the 100/200 series courses and declare a major by the end of your 1st/2nd year (really depends on the school, and which courses you've taken). Your grades will matter when declaring for microbiology/immunology, so don't slack off. This will vary school to school, but it holds true for the majority of cases.

So when applying for a uni, l apply for biology and at the end of the 1-2 years l declare a major and that will determine whether l do microbiology or not...?

👌🏾
Original post by Student403
Why are you taking both? Just stick to one. They only need one. Do the one you find easier to score higher on

It's not as important to have done so much biology. It's hard to say exactly since I don't know if you're applying to really competitive ones or not. Also do check out the SAT/ACT percentiles for colleges you're targetting, so you know what to aim for. Generally the course is much broader at first than that in the UK.

can't l do two...just to show off?
So when applying for a uni, l apply for biology and at the end of the 1-2 years l declare a major and that will determine whether l do microbiology or not...?
🏾

Pretty much. Bear in mind that it's usually at the end of the 2 year mark, although some 1st years will reqister due to having transfer credit. Take a look at the Microbiology department requirements when looking at schools to double check. For example, Cornell has the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, along with the College of Arts and Sciences, and biology majors can enroll in either one. UCLA's Micro department has posted their requirements on their departmental web page.

The usual requirements for micro are 1 year PHY, 1 year BIOL and 1 year CHEM. There might be other pre-reqs to get into Micro, and there will be required courses to stay with that major.

If you really aren't sure, you could email one of the department/academic advisors once enrolled at a university, and ask them about how to set up your schedule. There should be a day where departments will have a booth handing out flyers so students can understand the requisite courses better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending