The Student Room Group

We are all amoral beings

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by xylas
Humans lack morality. Being moral is a fictional, unattainable quality. Most people say they have morals but in reality no-one follows them. My argument is that it is impossible for a human to follow a system of morality. In essence we are amoral beings. Discuss.

You've made a statement, but you haven't demonstrated it at all.
Reply 41
Original post by Jjj90
You've made a statement, but you haven't demonstrated it at all.

Read my other posts. Alternatively take a look at a simplified version of my argument:

P1. Humans act according to their own motivations
P2. There is no universal system that defines morality
C1. Morality is no different than any other human motivation
P3. Human motivations change all the time
C2. Morality changes all the time
P4. It is impossible for a human to follow something that changes all the time
C3a. It is impossible for a human to follow a system of morality
C3b. Humans are amoral beings
Reply 42
Original post by xylas
Simply saying it is unsound is not an argument. Do you have anything else to say?

I proceeded to demonstrate why it is unsound in the rest of my post.

Original post by xylas
Everyone has a different idea of morality thus even if objective morality is true like I said that doesn't mean it is universally defined. Hence it is impossible to follow.

The objective moral system may not have been universally adopted, but that doesn't mean that it hasn't been adopted at all. If there is an objective moral system, which I contend there is, then we can act in a moral and an immoral fashion, and hence we are not amoral beings. You have, again, challenged the view that there is an objective moral system below, which I will reply to.

Original post by xylas
No random does not mean an equal chance of doing any possible act. It just means there is no correlation between an event before or after. This is true of a non-universally defined moral system since there is no way of guessing whether you will follow it one second or the other. Remember you said yourself that you don't always follow it. Are you saying there is a pattern to whether you decide to stop following it or not?

I don't always follow it, but I follow it to a greater extent than I would if I picked every action that I did out of a hat. When I am not following it, I am acting immorally. This claim, that I'm often acting immorally, is not a particularly weird one: most people would acknowledge that they could do more good in the world, and Christians, indeed, often say that they strive to live as Jesus lived, even if they can never get there.

Ultimately, though, whether you think that the notion that we often act immorally is "bizarre" or not is irrelevant.

Original post by xylas
Nothing to do with predicting the point you might stop. Btw it is the cross country runner who decides. When she feels it is too painful. When she knows she can not possibly win anymore etc etc. Unless you believe in determinism (i.e. our actions are caused by factors out of our control)?? This is what you seem to be saying. Also prove that point exists. She might not reach that point, did you consider that.

By your argument, I'm the one who decides when I can no longer do any more, and I might not ever reach that point, just as the runner might not ever reach that point.

Original post by xylas
So you concede that there might be justification for putting your preferences over another. From that point on it is not hard to argue that you should put your preferences over everyone you know, and then one step further to everyone that exists

No, it's extremely hard to argue that from that point. The probability that other people are conscious is extremely high, but it's true that the probability that I am conscious is slightly higher. However, on expected value grounds, when you get to two or more people, their interests should outweigh yours. The probability that I can suffer multiplied by the number of people affected when considering myself is 1 (1 x 1), if we assume that the probability that I can suffer, from my perspective, is 100%.

If the probability that other people can suffer is ~99%, which is reasonable considering the long-term behavioural responses to sources of pain that animals including humans show as well as our shared evolutionary history, then if it's a case of two people's interests vs. my interests, then their interests outweigh my own (2 x 0.99 = 1.98).

Original post by xylas
That's a strong claim against many philosophers who use evolutionary thinking in their arguments. (Do you not accept evolution?) Read: Descriptive Evolutionary Ethics, Prescriptive Evolutionary Ethics or Evolutionary Metaethics to widen your worldview. You can't just dismiss these with 'appeal to nature', not good enough.

There are virtually no philosophers who use evolution to tell us what is right and wrong. Of course I accept evolution by natural selection as the explanation for why we have the complexity of life that we do, but that's entirely descriptive.

I'm aware of the stuff you've listed, but they can be dismissed very easily, in fact. Firstly, descriptive evolutionary ethics, by definition, isn't trying to tell us what is right or wrong: it's about explaining how some of our moral intuitions arose in the first place.

Secondly, prescriptive evolutionary ethics can be dismissed because it does make a logically fallacious appeal to nature. It looks like you may have already visited the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, but if you haven't, its sections on Prescriptive Evolutionary Ethics and Evolutionary Metaethics are indeed interesting, and confirm what I have been saying. It is scathing about Prescriptive Evolutionary Ethics:

From the fact that a certain trait is an adaptation, which evolved through natural selection by virtue of its positive feedback effects on germ-line replication of the alleles that generate the trait, nothing at all seems to follow about whether it is morally good or right, or something we ought to embrace and foster. Certain dispositions may be present in us for good evolutionary reasons without any implication that these traits benefit us, or are moral virtues or produce behaviors that are morally right.

A brief survey of some of the traits that are likely biological adaptations in a number of species—such as a tendency to kill ‘step-children’ or to philander—ought to convince us that even if similar tendencies are likewise adaptations in human beings, present in us for similar evolutionary reasons, this would be no argument at all that we ought to engage in such behaviors. Clearly the burden would be on the prescriptive evolutionary ethicist to explain why a trait's having been good at propagating the alleles coding for it tens or hundreds of thousands of years ago should be thought to have anything at all with the rational or moral justification of our embracing it. And the prospects for meeting this burden have never seemed strong: it is hard to see how such evolutionary facts can possibly have normative authority or force for a rational agent

Section 3.2 describes the pioneering work of the moral psychologist, neuroscientist and utilitarian philosopher Joshua Greene, who has used scientific observations to argue that it is more likely that consequentialism (specifically, utilitarianism) is the rational moral system to adhere to. (If you haven't read his outstanding book, Moral Tribes, I'd highly recommend it.)

The section on Evolutionary Metaethics, meanwhile, is itself fascinating, and describes how some philosophers have used evolution to argue that it is more likely that some moral systems are true than others. The utilitarian philosophers Peter Singer and Katarzyna de-Lazari Radek do so very compellingly in their book, The Point of View of the Universe, in which they argue that our anti-utilitarian moral intuitions are more likely to have arisen because of evolution rather than because they are true; whilst an impartial utilitarian standpoint cannot be explained on evolutionary grounds except as a by-product of our capacity to reason. This suggests that utilitarianism is more reasonable than following our naive moral intuitions and acting in a non-impartialist, self-interested way.

You also seem to be contradicting yourself: if you're citing Prescriptive Evolutionary Ethics as a reason for why we ought to put our own interests above other people's (which is balderdash, as shown above), then you're saying that our actions can involve "questions of right and wrong", and that it would be immoral if we did not put our interests above those of others, meaning that our actions can be "either moral or immoral". This means that, on your view, we're not amoral beings.

Original post by xylas
And it seems you rejected them all with little introspection just like I thought. I do not feel the need to give you more justifications but you can read around my explanations if you want a better understanding.

As you can see, I rejected them with a lot of introspection. This means that you haven't provided a justification as to why your interests matter more than anyone else's, in which case my argument for objective morality still stands (if we are to maximise our own preference-satisfaction - which it is impossible not to do - we should maximise the preference-satisfaction of every sentient being; to do otherwise would be to put our own preferences above those of others, which, as shown above, is illogical).

Consequently, this means that when we do not live up to what a utilitarian moral system requires of us, we are doing something wrong - we are acting immorally, not amorally.

Original post by xylas
If I'm not rational then neither are you.

I'm saying that you're irrational when it comes to this topic, based on the arguments you've put forward. I'm not saying you're irrational in every domain, just as I'm not saying I'm rational in every domain. Humans have the capacity to act and think rationally, but they don't always use it.

Original post by xylas
And finally, you don't see anything wrong with your view making you an immoral person some of the time? Are you joking?

It's funny: you claim that things cannot be right or wrong ("not involving questions of right and wrong", "neither moral nor immoral") yet you seem to have an awfully visceral reaction to the idea that you could be acting immorally. Am I being immoral for saying that I'm an immoral person? What's so wrong about the idea that I'm an immoral person a lot of the time, may I ask?

I don't see anything wrong with my view because, as I've argued extensively above, there are objective moral rights and wrongs, meaning that we can act morally and immorally and our actions are a "question of right and wrong" - they can be "either moral or immoral".
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by xylas
Humans lack morality. Being moral is a fictional, unattainable quality. Most people say they have morals but in reality no-one follows them. My argument is that it is impossible for a human to follow a system of morality. In essence we are amoral beings. Discuss.

Definitions:

Spoiler

This could only be true if there was an objective morality, I do not see how morality is objective, it is obvious that religious morality is set in it's human creation. Can anyone find some moral that is universal and ageless?
Original post by xylas
Agreed. Morality is but a fiction.

Apart from being racist, nothing that you have said contradicts my argument. You have not said why you think we are not amoral.

The world isn't one society, but apart from that you may have a point (albeit not very pertinent).

Ok, since you agree with me that morality is made up by individuals (btw you have not said why you disagree with me) then it is easy for me to argue that humans don't stick to their own subjective rules. And then one step to claim we are amoral.

C3b. Humans are amoral beings

You are going to have to prove P1. P4 is the sticking point, we do accept change, the death penalty argument is now over if you look at the stats, it could easily swing the other way. Morality does not change all the time but evolves over time and like most evolution is a slow process.
Reply 45
Original post by dozyrosie
This could only be true if there was an objective morality, I do not see how morality is objective, it is obvious that religious morality is set in it's human creation. Can anyone find some moral that is universal and ageless?

If you read my argument you would discover that I agree there is no objective morality.

You are going to have to prove P1. P4 is the sticking point, we do accept change, the death penalty argument is now over if you look at the stats, it could easily swing the other way. Morality does not change all the time but evolves over time and like most evolution is a slow process.

What problem do you have with this premise (P1)? I do not need to prove a premise. If every premise could proved or disproved don't you think philosophical problems (and related subjects such as maths) would have been solved long ago? What do humans act according to then if not their motivations? They act according to some mystical force? They act randomly? They at according to whatever is available to them at the time? They act whatever is the path of least resistance? Tell me why you think this premise is incorrect.

P4 does not say we can't accept change. That is a complete straw man. Give me one example of something humans can follow that changes all the time.

Note that 'follow' has many definitions but the one I am using in my argument is:

verb: follow
3. To accept the guidance, command, or leadership of: follow a spiritual master; rebels who refused to follow their leader.
4. To adhere to; practice: followed family traditions.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by viddy9

Spoiler

Ok. You didn't answer the question. Are you saying there is a pattern to whether you decide to stop following it or not? Also are you a Christian (or religious at all for that matter)? That would be very interesting.

Not bizarre, untrue and unnecessary.

Good, I knew the only answer was that you decide. Which is what I've been saying all along that we act according to our own motivations.

I am surprised that you are willing to agree that the probability that you yourself is conscious is higher than for other people. From this premise it would seem you have reached a different conclusion than the one argued by many philosophers whose justifications I have already told you about. We do not need to debate this point but recognise our difference in opinion.

Good that you accept evolution by natural selection. I appreciate that you disagree with this line of thinking as applied to morality and I respect your right as you appear to have at least studied it to a sufficient understanding. I don't necessarily agree with it either but it is still worth mentioning to broaden different perspectives and justifications on this topic.

It is your right to disagree with these arguments. However that does not mean that you have in any way proved your own argument and it certainly is not correct by default. I would argue the opposite actually, that your argument is wrong by default since it makes an extraordinary claim that there exists some objective morality in the universe. And then one step further to argue that utilitarianism a universal moral system.

I repeat: if I'm not rational (when it comes to this topic) then neither are you. In fact I am at least as rational as you seeing as you continue to use fallacies such as the no true scotsman's and shifting the goalposts without realising it.

It's funny: you seem to be confused with morally right or wrong and factually right or wrong. I can not say it is morally wrong since there is no universally system that defines morality. I can say it is likely to be factually wrong that you are acting immorally a lot of the time, since if you know that and can't do anything about it then this implies a level of determinism. Determinism strongly implies that we are amoral beings, since if we cannot choose to act otherwise, then our actions cannot have any culpability as morality would require.

If you know you act immorally sometimes then you are to blame. Under my view, however, no-one is to blame -that is what it comes down to. Answer this: what consequences to you occur as a result of you acting immorally?
Original post by xylas
If you read my argument you would discover that I agree there is no objective morality.

What problem do you have with this premise (P1)? I do not need to prove a premise. If every premise could proved or disproved don't you think philosophical problems (and related subjects such as maths) would have been solved long ago? What do humans act according to then if not their motivations? They act according to some mystical force? They act randomly? They at according to whatever is available to them at the time? They act whatever is the path of least resistance? Tell me why you think this premise is incorrect.

P4 does not say we can't accept change. That is a complete straw man. Give me one example of something humans can follow that changes all the time.

Note that 'follow' has many definitions but the one I am using in my argument is:

verb: follow
3. To accept the guidance, command, or leadership of: follow a spiritual master; rebels who refused to follow their leader.
4. To adhere to; practice: followed family traditions.

We do have a problem here, I being someone who finds philosophy and it's methods to be faulty, you who think you can make an unobserved truth. Mathematics are not a preserve of philosophy but of science, I would agree that being a human construct that math is probably the only science with a duality of discipline, but there are very few mathematicians who are philosophers and those that are, are predisposed to agnosticism than theism.

For P4, you claimed that humans cannot accept change, why do I need to provide an example, even though I did? Are you really claiming that we have to accept a teaching by some priest/spiritualist/american con man?
Reply 48
Original post by xylas
Ok. You didn't answer the question. Are you saying there is a pattern to whether you decide to stop following it or not? Also are you a Christian (or religious at all for that matter)? That would be very interesting.

Insofar as I am aware, there's no pattern. I'm an atheist (most utilitarians generally are!).

Original post by xylas
Good, I knew the only answer was that you decide. Which is what I've been saying all along that we act according to our own motivations.

In a trivial sense, but I believe our motivations can be moral or immoral, whereas you believe that they cannot be.

Original post by xylas
It is your right to disagree with these arguments. However that does not mean that you have in any way proved your own argument and it certainly is not correct by default. I would argue the opposite actually, that your argument is wrong by default since it makes an extraordinary claim that there exists some objective morality in the universe. And then one step further to argue that utilitarianism a universal moral system.

Utilitarianism is a universal moral system: it applies universally to every sentient being, whether they like it or not, because there isn't a sentient being out there who doesn't try to maximise its own preference-satisfaction.

Original post by xylas
It's funny: you seem to be confused with morally right or wrong and factually right or wrong.

This is an interesting criticism, but ethics is about answering the question "how am I to live?", and this gives an answer: the correct answer.

Original post by xylas
Answer this: what consequences to you occur as a result of you acting immorally?

There need not be any consequences for it to be true that I am acting immorally. As I said earlier, I don't believe that there's a celestial being watching over us.
Reply 49
We do have a problem here, I being someone who finds philosophy and it's methods to be faulty, you who think you can make an unobserved truth. Mathematics are not a preserve of philosophy but of science, I would agree that being a human construct that math is probably the only science with a duality of discipline, but there are very few mathematicians who are philosophers and those that are, are predisposed to agnosticism than theism.

For P4, you claimed that humans cannot accept change, why do I need to provide an example, even though I did? Are you really claiming that we have to accept a teaching by some priest/spiritualist/american con man?

You haven't answered my questions. Also you are displaying high amounts of ignorance about philosophy. You can't say its 'methods' are faulty. Faulty according to what? You would have to use philosophy to make such an argument. Secondly, there are many mathematicians who are philosophers (ever heard of a man called Bertrand Russell?). Most unis even offer a joint course in maths and philosophy.

You didn't read anything I wrote. P4 does not say we can't accept change. That is a complete straw man. Give me one example of something humans can follow that changes all the time.

Original post by viddy9
Insofar as I am aware, there's no pattern. I'm an atheist (most utilitarians generally are!).

In a trivial sense, but I believe our motivations can be moral or immoral, whereas you believe that they cannot be.

Utilitarianism is a universal moral system: it applies universally to every sentient being, whether they like it or not, because there isn't a sentient being out there who doesn't try to maximise its own preference-satisfaction.

This is an interesting criticism, but ethics is about answering the question "how am I to live?", and this gives an answer: the correct answer.

There need not be any consequences for it to be true that I am acting immorally. As I said earlier, I don't believe that there's a celestial being watching over us.

Of course motivations can't be moral, only actions can. You can't choose your motivations therefore you're view is that you are destined to be immoral before you even do anything! Another instance of you relying on determinism...

You are yet to make an argument for utilitarianism. The premise 'every being tries to maximise its own preference-satisfaction' can easily (I would say much more easily) lead to the conclusion that we are amoral beings.

'How am I to live?' doesn't have a correct (factual) answer. No-one else can tell us how to live our lives. They can only say what we should do in certain instances. And it is our choice to accept or reject them. And if you disagree with the nature of choice then you are a determinist through and through.

If there are no consequences to immoral behaviour then it is not immoral according to most people's (including my own) definition. In fact that's exactly what I'm arguing, nothing we do is 'immoral' by any universal system since we all act amorally anyway.

I'm an atheist too btw :smile:
Original post by xylas
You haven't answered my questions. Also you are displaying high amounts of ignorance about philosophy. You can't say its 'methods' are faulty. Faulty according to what? You would have to use philosophy to make such an argument. Secondly, there are many mathematicians who are philosophers (ever heard of a man called Bertrand Russell?). Most unis even offer a joint course in maths and philosophy.

You didn't read anything I wrote. P4 does not say we can't accept change. That is a complete straw man. Give me one example of something humans can follow that changes all the time.

I will use the same argument that Laurence Krauss used, we all use philosophy, it is akin to 'common sense' but common sense is a poor replacement for truth. Once you use a method of preposition the whole enterprise is faulty.

I read P4 and it definitely claimed we cannot accept change. Morality is always changing, it is not a static belief.
Reply 51
I will use the same argument that Laurence Krauss used, we all use philosophy, it is akin to 'common sense' but common sense is a poor replacement for truth. Once you use a method of preposition the whole enterprise is faulty.

I read P4 and it definitely claimed we cannot accept change. Morality is always changing, it is not a static belief.

That's a point of view. You will have to justify it if you want it to be taken seriously.

"P4. It is impossible for a human to follow something that changes all the time"

Anyone with basic comprehension skills will tell you this does not mean "we cannot accept change".
Original post by xylas
That's a point of view. You will have to justify it if you want it to be taken seriously.

"P4. It is impossible for a human to follow something that changes all the time"

Anyone with basic comprehension skills will tell you this does not mean "we cannot accept change".

You will have to justify all your P's, that is the fault of philosophy. I can use the common sense idea of philosophy, you can't not if you want to prove something. One question, I have asked this before and never received an answer.

Name one proof that has been discovered by philosophy. There are lots of things philosophy got wrong.
Reply 53
You will have to justify all your P's, that is the fault of philosophy. I can use the common sense idea of philosophy, you can't not if you want to prove something. One question, I have asked this before and never received an answer.

Name one proof that has been discovered by philosophy. There are lots of things philosophy got wrong.

If you are making an argument then no you don't have to justify premises. If there is not argument by the premise is the conclusion then this is not allowed.

You seem to have not even comprehended this thread. So far only one person has attempted to challenge my argument.

Name one thing philosophy 'got wrong' according to you.

Philosophy by definition doesn't deal with proofs, it deals with arguments. When you argue something, you know that it can not be absolutely shown to be correct so that everyone agrees with it. Otherwise you would be wasting your time to argue it when you could just show the magic bullet and people will believe you.

Original post by Thomb
If its good you do it if it isnt you don't?

That's not an argument. According to who? (my answer is according to your own motivations -read my simplified argument:

C3b. Humans are amoral beings)
(edited 7 years ago)
By those definitions, I make distinctions between right and wrong, and I follow most of them most of the time, so I can subjectively call myself not amoral / I can subjectively call myself quite moral / more rarely immoral.
Original post by xylas
If you are making an argument then no you don't have to justify premises. If there is not argument by the premise is the conclusion then this is not allowed.

You seem to have not even comprehended this thread. So far only one person has attempted to challenge my argument.

Name one thing philosophy 'got wrong' according to you.

Philosophy by definition doesn't deal with proofs, it deals with arguments. When you argue something, you know that it can not be absolutely shown to be correct so that everyone agrees with it. Otherwise you would be wasting your time to argue it when you could just show the magic bullet and people will believe you.

Well it is refreshing to hear a philosophical person to finally admit that philosophy does not deal in proof.

As for what philosophy gets wrong either your knowledge of science is ailing or your knowledge of philosophy is, but probably both. How long did we keep the geocentric idea of the universe for? Thanks to Ptolemaic philosophy for almost most of our history, it could have caused the death of Galileo and probably caused the death of other 'lesser' people. How many more examples of the flawed ideas of philosophy do you need. I cannot see much difference between the philosopher (whether he is atheist or not) and the religious, both are sticking to their belief and using bias to preserve it.
Reply 56
Original post by XcitingStuart
By those definitions, I make distinctions between right and wrong, and I follow most of them most of the time, so I can subjectively call myself not amoral / I can subjectively call myself quite moral / more rarely immoral.

That's not an argument. It might be easier to just address mine.

Well it is refreshing to hear a philosophical person to finally admit that philosophy does not deal in proof.

As for what philosophy gets wrong either your knowledge of science is ailing or your knowledge of philosophy is, but probably both. How long did we keep the geocentric idea of the universe for? Thanks to Ptolemaic philosophy for almost most of our history, it could have caused the death of Galileo and probably caused the death of other 'lesser' people. How many more examples of the flawed ideas of philosophy do you need. I cannot see much difference between the philosopher (whether he is atheist or not) and the religious, both are sticking to their belief and using bias to preserve it.

Science and philosophy are not in conflict. One is the pursuit of knowledge, the other is the pursuit of wisdom.

Also philosophy =/= ideology. You really should see the difference between a philosopher and a religious person. One is not necessarily the other.
Original post by xylas
That's not an argument. It might be easier to just address mine.

Science and philosophy are not in conflict. One is the pursuit of knowledge, the other is the pursuit of wisdom.

Also philosophy =/= ideology. You really should see the difference between a philosopher and a religious person. One is not necessarily the other.

Science and philosophy are in conflict, you are just sticking to your belief that philosophy has something to offer, it probably does at some unimportant level, but as a way of discovering truths and evidence it is useless.

What is not an argument? Are you talking about your misconception that philosophy has no errors? You may be interested to know that Science is a self correcting discipline, I do not see that with philosophy, all I see is a bunch of lazy intellectuals(wannabees) who do not have the intellect or the get up and go to study science, and then have the gall to tell me that I do not see their argument.
Reply 58
Science and philosophy are in conflict, you are just sticking to your belief that philosophy has something to offer, it probably does at some unimportant level, but as a way of discovering truths and evidence it is useless.

What is not an argument? Are you talking about your misconception that philosophy has no errors? You may be interested to know that Science is a self correcting discipline, I do not see that with philosophy, all I see is a bunch of lazy intellectuals(wannabees) who do not have the intellect or the get up and go to study science, and then have the gall to tell me that I do not see their argument.

They both have something to offer? Maybe not to you, but open-minded people can benefit from both disciplines.
Original post by xylas
They both have something to offer? Maybe not to you, but open-minded people can benefit from both disciplines.

So all the scientists who ridicule philosophy as mere sophistry are closed minded? Have you ever considered that you may be wrong, that philosophy is just a game of no value. Consider two philosophical ideas that had some value, the Atom and Alchemy, if philosophy had any value for evidence we could have found chemistry and particle physics much quicker, but philosophy is only interested (according to you) in a good argument and any knowledge gained is incidental. Do you even understand why the Atom and Alchemy could be relevant philosophical questions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending