The Student Room Group

ICT BTEC Level 3 HELP

Right, so, my school doesn't offer a Computer Science A-Level although I did it in Year 11. However, they do have BTEC ICT available. How useful is this and will I be able to go on to study Computer Science at University with it?
Reply 1
Original post by ussj
Right, so, my school doesn't offer a Computer Science A-Level although I did it in Year 11. However, they do have BTEC ICT available. How useful is this and will I be able to go on to study Computer Science at University with it?

I'd suggest to do BTEC ICT, so many people in our sixth form did it and came out with a distinction star. The distinction star is the same ucas points of those of an A*. Most of the russell's wouldn't mind it as long as it's with other "strong" subjects like maths and one of the sciences maybe.I'd say do it because if you manage to bag a distinction star and let's say worse comes to worse, muck up on one of your other subjects; ICT will give you a lot of UCAS points.
Original post by ussj

My boyfriend is in exactly the same boat. You can still go into university to do computer science but they tend to either want you to have a solid Maths AS/A Level grade aswell, potentially require you to do a foundation year to get you prepped before transferring to the BSc course and usually ask for anywhere between A*AA to A*A*A*. Hope this helps.
Reply 3
In my opinion the BTEC IT is better preparation for a Computer Science degree than the Computing A level, I did the BTEC Extended Diploma in IT and am now in my second year of my MSci degree at a top 20 uni and the BTEC was honestly very good preparation I've even reused some BTEC assignments in my uni ones where they were quite similar.

Hope this helps
Reply 4
Original post by Mo98
I'd suggest to do BTEC ICT, so many people in our sixth form did it and came out with a distinction star. The distinction star is the same ucas points of those of an A*. Most of the russell's wouldn't mind it as long as it's with other "strong" subjects like maths and one of the sciences maybe.I'd say do it because if you manage to bag a distinction star and let's say worse comes to worse, muck up on one of your other subjects; ICT will give you a lot of UCAS points.

My other chosen subjects are Chemistry, Biology and Psychology. So that will be okay right? Also, do you know if Cambridge or Oxford would mind it being a BTEC, rather than an A-Level?
Reply 5
Original post by Gaya Ramanathan
My boyfriend is in exactly the same boat. You can still go into university to do computer science but they tend to either want you to have a solid Maths AS/A Level grade aswell, potentially require you to do a foundation year to get you prepped before transferring to the BSc course and usually ask for anywhere between A*AA to A*A*A*. Hope this helps.

Does it have to be Maths? I didn't really choose any Maths based subjects. Although I did hear Chemistry has quite a bit of Maths involved, and is one of my chosen A- levels.
Reply 6
Original post by yt7777
In my opinion the BTEC IT is better preparation for a Computer Science degree than the Computing A level, I did the BTEC Extended Diploma in IT and am now in my second year of my MSci degree at a top 20 uni and the BTEC was honestly very good preparation I've even reused some BTEC assignments in my uni ones where they were quite similar.

Hope this helps

Considering it's a BTEC, will it be looked down upon by Universities like Oxford and Cambridge? Also, what is the actual difference between them? Thanks.
Reply 7
Original post by ussj
Considering it's a BTEC, will it be looked down upon by Universities like Oxford and Cambridge? Also, what is the actual difference between them? Thanks.

95% of uk unis accept BTEC and BTECs are statistically more emplyable for when you graduate, i honestly think they are more useful than A levels but a very very small amount of unis will have an issue

Generally top 10 unis will require Maths A level as thats basically what Computer Science is - Maths

Oxford accept the IT BTEC for Computer Science but you need an A* in Maths A level to meet their standard Computer Science entry requrements

Btec is mostly coursework and consists of some practical assignments which are 'work' based to give you actual skills for the industry where as the A level is more exam focussed and just teaches the theory although still valuble but you get this in the Btec too as they are the same level and teach very similar topics, providing your college teaches the good units in the IT Btec i would say it is superior to Computing A level and is statistically more employable.
Reply 8
Original post by ussj
My other chosen subjects are Chemistry, Biology and Psychology. So that will be okay right? Also, do you know if Cambridge or Oxford would mind it being a BTEC, rather than an A-Level?

You really need to read the entry requirements, you need maths a level for Oxford and Cambridge and most other top 10 unis, if thats where you're looking to go you NEED to have Maths, their courses are very theoretical and require a high level of mathematical competency as do a lot of CompSci courses, the whole foundation of Computer Science is maths so you need to be good at it, especially if you are aiming that high

I personally didnt take Maths A level but my uni said either Maths, Computing or Physics so the BTEC IT/Computing was fine on its own as long as i had taken a specific amount of the most relevant units, plus I am pretty good at maths anyway so am finding the course fine

However, without Maths A level there is no way you will even be considered for Oxford or Cambridge, maybe consider swapping for one of the others? Also do your sixth form not do Physics or Electronics? These would be better than the other sciences
Reply 9
Original post by ussj

Yeah that should be alright, I don't think they would mind it. As long as you get 90% and above for each subject then you should be alright.
Reply 10
Original post by yt7777
You really need to read the entry requirements, you need maths a level for Oxford and Cambridge and most other top 10 unis, if thats where you're looking to go you NEED to have Maths, their courses are very theoretical and require a high level of mathematical competency as do a lot of CompSci courses, the whole foundation of Computer Science is maths so you need to be good at it, especially if you are aiming that high

I personally didnt take Maths A level but my uni said either Maths, Computing or Physics so the BTEC IT/Computing was fine on its own as long as i had taken a specific amount of the most relevant units, plus I am pretty good at maths anyway so am finding the course fine

However, without Maths A level there is no way you will even be considered for Oxford or Cambridge, maybe consider swapping for one of the others? Also do your sixth form not do Physics or Electronics? These would be better than the other sciences

They have Physics available, but I chose Psychology instead of it, as I'm interested in going into Psychiatry, hence why I chose it (I don't know if it's completely necessary though, some websites have said it isn't but I'm not too sure if they're reliable). For me, I chose IT because I've been pretty good at it since a very young age and enjoyed it. It's more of a backup in case my medical pursuits don't go as planned. My Teachers have told me Chemistry is quite Maths heavy, would that alongside an A/A* at Maths GCSE not be enough?

Am I allowed to take more than four A-levels, as I've heard this has been possible elsewhere? I'm not too worried about the workload if that's the only problem.
Original post by ussj

This is an Oxford-specific answer, although other top universities are fairly similar.

We don't require Computer Science A Level. However, we want to see evidence that candidates know what Computer Science is about, and that they will enjoy it. Some candidates learn how to code via on-line resources, and then do some small programming projects.

We absolutely require Maths A Level (or equivalent). We strongly recommend Further Maths if your school offers it.

We accept the BTEC, if accompanied by an A* in Maths A Level. But we don't recommend it. Our experience is that candidates are normally less well prepared for academic study than those who have done A Levels. (Of course, we consider each candidate on his/her own merits.)

Gavin
Original post by Gaya Ramanathan

not really the BTEC should include maths an only the top flight will ask for those grades even places like Southhampton generally ask for grades like AAB I did a BTEC and go accepted on to a BEng without having to do a foundation year.
Original post by jonathanemptage
not really the BTEC should include maths an only the top flight will ask for those grades even places like Southhampton generally ask for grades like AAB I did a BTEC and go accepted on to a BEng without having to do a foundation year.

I'm talking about a BSc in computer science - sorry for any confusion
Reply 14
I'm not too familiar with what a foundation year is? Do you do it a year before you go to Uni, simultaneously with your other A- Levels or after you finish them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending