The Student Room Group

I haven't taken chemistry as a choice...

and I am in disadvantage for many courses, can I take both the AS and A level next year? is it worth it to apply for entry in 2017? I'm also taking physics maths and biology, at AS psychology and spanish

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chemari1
and I am in disadvantage for many courses, can I take both the AS and A level next year? is it worth it to apply for entry in 2017? I'm also taking physics maths and biology, at AS psychology and spanish

That is a matter for your school/college. Only they can tell you if it is possible within their timetable. As for disadvantage, that depends on what you are applying for. For medicine, then you have pretty much ruled yourself out by not taking it. For anything else, you will have to look at each course's requirements yourself, but as you chose not to take chemistry originally, I don't imagine you want to apply for courses which will be heavily based on chemistry. You have two other sciences, so that'll be fine for most things.
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
That is a matter for your school/college. Only they can tell you if it is possible within their timetable. As for disadvantage, that depends on what you are applying for. For medicine, then you have pretty much ruled yourself out by not taking it. For anything else, you will have to look at each course's requirements yourself, but as you chose not to take chemistry originally, I don't imagine you want to apply for courses which will be heavily based on chemistry. You have two other sciences, so that'll be fine for most things.
Thank you, I want to apply for engineering, so will it be relevant in my UCAS application a predicted grade for that course in chemistry?
Thank you, I want to apply for engineering, so will it be relevant in my UCAS application a predicted grade for that course in chemistry?

I'm not an engineering expert, but I know someone who is.
@jneill
You have physics and maths. Unless it's chemical engineering I would think you'd be fine without chemistry, but jneill will know.
Reply 4
@jneill
You have physics and maths. Unless it's chemical engineering I would think you'd be fine without chemistry, but jneill will know.
I meant that, say I did get to do AS and A level chemistry, when doing my UCAS application, only a prediction for the grade would appear instead of an AS, is that equally as good as the actual AS(which I would do with the A2 in September)?

You don't need Chem for any kind of Engineering. Not even chemical engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Princepieman
You don't need Chem for any kind of Engineering. Not even chemical engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
thank you, I do find that some universities have it as a preferred subject so I would like to know, whether a prediction for my grade at the end of the summer is worth the same in the application as an actual AS (if I get to do the AS and A2 in one year)?
thank you, I do find that some universities have it as a preferred subject so I would like to know, whether a prediction for my grade at the end of the summer is worth the same in the application as an actual AS (if I get to do the AS and A2 in one year)?

A prediction is a prediction, imo. I still don't see why you need to take it, your current course load is perfectly adequate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Princepieman
A prediction is a prediction, imo. I still don't see why you need to take it, your current course load is perfectly adequate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you, it's that I don't think I've done well in further maths (what I enjoyed the most curiously)
I meant that, say I did get to do AS and A level chemistry, when doing my UCAS application, only a prediction for the grade would appear instead of an AS, is that equally as good as the actual AS(which I would do with the A2 in September)?

Ucas operates fine with predictions in the current system. It'd be a question of whether they thought your teachers had had a long enough time to see what you were like at chemistry, I suppose, but you have other subjects and you don't need chemistry, so I doubt it'd be an issue.
Reply 10
Ucas operates fine with predictions in the current system. It'd be a question of whether they thought your teachers had had a long enough time to see what you were like at chemistry, I suppose, but you have other subjects and you don't need chemistry, so I doubt it'd be an issue.
thank you so much, I was saying it cause I did rather bad in my further maths exams probably coming out with a C overall, which isn't bad for many universities, but with my other grades (I hope good ones) I could probably go to a really good university.
thank you so much, I was saying it cause I did rather bad in my further maths exams probably coming out with a C overall, which isn't bad for many universities, but with my other grades (I hope good ones) I could probably go to a really good university.

Consider whether you are spreading yourself too thinly to do your very best. You already seem to have 5 subjects and are adding a sixth. No university needs more than 3 A2s. Better 3 good ones than 6 mediocre ones.
Reply 12
Consider whether you are spreading yourself too thinly to do your very best. You already seem to have 5 subjects and are adding a sixth. No university needs more than 3 A2s. Better 3 good ones than 6 mediocre ones.
I'll probably drop further maths, and just focus on chemistry and the others (making 5 with Spanish), although for FM I will have the AS
I'll probably drop further maths, and just focus on chemistry and the others (making 5 with Spanish), although for FM I will have the AS

I'd say five is still too many, but it's your call.
Reply 14
I'd say five is still too many, but it's your call.
I'm a native Spanish speaker
I'm a native Spanish speaker

Well, that's obviously a plus, but you still don't need four. Just make sure that you are able to do your best in the time you have with the subjects that count.
Reply 16
Well, that's obviously a plus, but you still don't need four. Just make sure that you are able to do your best in the time you have with the subjects that count.

thank you, I will ask my teachers about what 3 to do in any case, knowing that a prediction for chemistry will be equally as valid as just presenting the AS in it, it should all be fine
Reply 17

@jneill

I'm confused... we have already discussed your AS/A2s in your other posts elsewhere.

And, to be clear, for Engineering, FM at A2 would be better than Chem at A2 - if you can get a good grade in it. But at what point are you adding Chemistrry - according to your previous details you aren't doing Chemistry at the moment at all, so are you planning on doing A-level Chem in 1 year?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by jneill
I'm confused... we have already discussed your AS/A2s in your other posts elsewhere.

And, to be clear, for Engineering, FM at A2 would be better than Chem at A2 - if you can get a good grade in it. But at what point are you adding Chemistrry - according to your previous details you aren't doing Chemistry at the moment at all, so are you planning on doing A-level Chem in 1 year?

yes in 1 year, you get tested on the AS content as well when doing the A2 so it will be just like 1 year but more heavily. I don't know about further maths I'll have to see my results.
Reply 19
yes in 1 year, you get tested on the AS content as well when doing the A2 so it will be just like 1 year but more heavily. I don't know about further maths I'll have to see my results.

So it won't really help your application because you won't have done much work in time for the 15th October Oxbridge application deadline and therefore the predicted grade may be unreliable.

Yes, see what happens with your AS-level Further Maths before deciding what to do.

Quick Reply

Latest