The Student Room Group

To all current Y11s. Be confident in yourself and your decisions.

Dear Y11s,

I know that many of you will be choosing, or will have already chosen, A-Level subjects. I am a current Y13 student, and although I enjoy the subjects I study, I was very unsure of them to begin with. I was struggling to pick between the humanities and the sciences, or a mix of both, and ending up picking the humanities, because I believed that I was 'rubbish' at science, and I had always found humanity subjects easier.

I had previously intended to take Physics, or Maths and Physics, alongside my other subjects, but I was too scared. I ended up with A*s in both of these subjects, but still, even then, I didn't have enough confidence to take them. Now, I wish that I had at least taken Physics so I could prove myself wrong, because I know that I was and am capable of getting a good grade in a subject I am not naturally talented at.

If you are having doubts, please, at least try those subjects that you think that you might not be able to do but want to do anyway. Because more often than not, you can do them.

Best of luck.
Edminzodo

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Edminzodo
Dear Y11s,

I know that many of you will be choosing, or will have already chosen, A-Level subjects. I am a current Y13 student, and although I enjoy the subjects I study, I was very unsure of them to begin with. I was struggling to pick between the humanities and the sciences, or a mix of both, and ending up picking the humanities, because I believed that I was 'rubbish' at science, and I had always found humanity subjects easier.

I had previously intended to take Physics, or Maths and Physics, alongside my other subjects, but I was too scared. I ended up with A*s in both of these subjects, but still, even then, I didn't have enough confidence to take them. Now, I wish that I had at least taken Physics so I could prove myself wrong, because I know that I was and am capable of getting a good grade in a subject I am not naturally talented at.

If you are having doubts, please, at least try those subjects that you think that you might not be able to do but want to do anyway. Because more often than not, you can do them.

Best of luck.
Edminzodo

Thank you so much Edminzodo! :smile:
I picked A level maths, chemistry and physics. I'm working at a C in GCSE and I want an A* at A level. See I'm brave! :tongue: :biggrin:
This is a great point, thank you! Nonetheless I've played safe and have gone with subjects that I'm naturally good at, but enjoy also! It's kinda a win-win I suppose!😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dear Y11s,

Best of luck.
Edminzodo

Thanks thats good advice. Sadly my parents chose my Alevels for me and forced me to do subjects I really don't want to do. Now its too late to do anything and I have just accepted I am going to be miserable in the future.
Reply 4
Remember reading something about a pretty large proportion of Y13s regretting their AS choices. I'd have taken engineering over biology.
Original post by niv1234
Thanks thats good advice. Sadly my parents chose my Alevels for me and forced me to do subjects I really don't want to do. Now its too late to do anything and I have just accepted I am going to be miserable in the future.

which subjects?
Original post by niv1234

I'm sorry to hear that. Could you not speak to your school and change your subjects?
Original post by lolatmaths
which subjects?

Biology, Chemistry,Maths :frown: I wanted to do Latin, German, History :frown:
I'm sorry to hear that. Could you not speak to your school and change your subjects?

I tried, my head of year and the deputy head teacher spoke to my parents but they couldn't get them to change their minds :frown:.
Original post by niv1234
I tried, my head of year and the deputy head teacher spoke to my parents but they couldn't get them to change their minds :frown:.

You might end up enjoying some of your subjects. I hope so, anyway. Could you not come to a compromise with your parents where you take some subjects they want and some that you want? I would have thought that the school would take you choices into consideration. Your own subject choices are strong ones, and maybe if you explain to your parents which degrees you could take and what fantastic jobs you could get with your own choices, this could help?
You might end up enjoying some of your subjects. I hope so, anyway. Could you not come to a compromise with your parents where you take some subjects they want and some that you want? I would have thought that the school would take you choices into consideration. Your own subject choices are strong ones, and maybe if you explain to your parents which degrees you could take and what fantastic jobs you could get with your own choices, this could help?

Sadly the blocks and timetables and everything are set now for next year and nothing can be done any more. They have said that if I move to a school that would let me do 4 Alevels as mine only lets you do 3 I could do German and I guess thats something.
Maths is the bestest. I wanted to talk physics, chemistry and English as well but chemistry and english conflict and honestly I find chem more interesting. Now to choose out of bio or geog for a subject I'm going to drop after 1 year.
Reply 12
Original post by niv1234

Probably for the best that you didn't take those
Original post by EuanF
Probably for the best that you didn't take those

Just out of curiosity, why?
I wish I was that prudent in Y11
Original post by niv1234

I also think its probably for the best, just much better prospects in future. However if you're really that sad about it then im sorry about that. Deffo move and do german, it makes a great combo and theres something to enjoy.
Original post by niv1234

that's a difficult set of a levels to do if you don't even want to do them. your parents cannot make these decisions for you, you have to do what you want and they have to respect that.
Original post by lolatmaths
I also think its probably for the best, just much better prospects in future. However if you're really that sad about it then im sorry about that. Deffo move and do german, it makes a great combo and theres something to enjoy.

I really do love my school though and I know little to nothing about the schools I applied to and I really have no idea what to do next year. But thanks for the advice.
Original post by lostintrnslation
that's a difficult set of a levels to do if you don't even want to do them. your parents cannot make these decisions for you, you have to do what you want and they have to respect that.

I wish it were that easy.
Original post by niv1234
I wish it were that easy.

i don't understand why they can't just let you do what you want, but i guess i don't know you or your situation. honestly job/uni prospects would be so much better if you got good a level grades in subjects you enjoy rather than not very good grades in subjects you hate that you only took because they 'look good' and because your parents wanted you to. this is so unfair on you.

Quick Reply

Latest