The Student Room Group

To all current Y11s. Be confident in yourself and your decisions.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lostintrnslation
i don't understand why they can't just let you do what you want, but i guess i don't know you or your situation. honestly job/uni prospects would be so much better if you got good a level grades in subjects you enjoy rather than not very good grades in subjects you hate that you only took because they 'look good' and because your parents wanted you to. this is so unfair on you.

I know what you mean but my parents pretty much think that science and maths are the only 'good A levels' :frown: I'm not entirely a failure at those subjects, I just don't enjoy them,some people just don't understand that you can hate a subject and still be ok in it.
Original post by niv1234
I know what you mean but my parents pretty much think that science and maths are the only 'good A levels' :frown: I'm not entirely a failure at those subjects, I just don't enjoy them,some people just don't understand that you can hate a subject and still be ok in it.

languages are great subjects to study. stem subjects might lead to well-paid jobs, but everyone's taking them these days, which is why stem fields are so competitive. on the flip side, much fewer people are choosing to study languages so your latin and german knowledge would be desired by many companies and you would be far more likely to get a job because there would be less people with your skill set. at the very least see if you can combine science and languages, they are a great combination and will make you stand out to employers. but honestly doing a levels in subjects you hate, especially ones that are notoriously difficult, will be an absolute killer.
languages are great subjects to study. stem subjects might lead to well-paid jobs, but everyone's taking them these days, which is why stem fields are so competitive. on the flip side, much fewer people are choosing to study languages so your latin and german knowledge would be desired by many companies and you would be far more likely to get a job because there would be less people with your skill set. at the very least see if you can combine science and languages, they are a great combination and will make you stand out to employers. but honestly doing a levels in subjects you hate, especially ones that are notoriously difficult, will be an absolute killer.

I guess so I am really hoping I can at least do German too next year
Original post by niv1234
I guess so I am really hoping I can at least do German too next year

yeah, definitely see if that is possible. it's so much better than being miserable. god, i'm so sick of people thinking that stem subjects are superior to all other subjects.
yeah, definitely see if that is possible. it's so much better than being miserable. god, i'm so sick of people thinking that stem subjects are superior to all other subjects.

Me too, What subjects are you doing next year (assuming your in year 11)?
There is a very good reason why a lot of people tell Y11 not to completely take the subjects they like. Because they can be indecisive and want to change later or the subjects plainly have no connection.

Please do not hurt your future by thinking just about the future of your next 2 years. This is a very essential advice! Think about now itself what course you want to apply for and which universities you would like to study in! Imagine the horror you could have if you find out you want to do a particular course but do not have the required A levels subject (although the courses usually have flexible subject courses, not all do!). Seriously, spend time on this and think about it.

I took Geography, Politics, Business and Psychology because I loved those subjects but then I realized it is a huge mistake because it offers no help for my courses. I replaced them with Bio Math Chem Geography after having various discussions with my peers. (they told me that a student of my potential should be aiming for challenge not wanting to slack).

And I do not mean to be biased but definitely take Maths. Maths is that one subject that is almost always good to take for any course you want to apply for at university.

Thank you for reading and good luck kids!
Original post by niv1234
Me too, What subjects are you doing next year (assuming your in year 11)?

french, german, theology
Original post by alevez2ez
There is a very good reason why a lot of people tell Y11 not to completely take the subjects they like. Because they can be indecisive and want to change later or the subjects plainly have no connection.

Please do not hurt your future by thinking just about the future of your next 2 years. This is a very essential advice! Think about now itself what course you want to apply for and which universities you would like to study in! Imagine the horror you could have if you find out you want to do a particular course but do not have the required A levels subject (although the courses usually have flexible subject courses, not all do!). Seriously, spend time on this and think about it.

I took Geography, Politics, Business and Psychology because I loved those subjects but then I realized it is a huge mistake because it offers no help for my courses. I replaced them with Bio Math Chem Geography after having various discussions with my peers. (they told me that a student of my potential should be aiming for challenge not wanting to slack).

And I do not mean to be biased but definitely take Maths. Maths is that one subject that is almost always good to take for any course you want to apply for at university.

Thank you for reading and good luck kids!

I agree. The university course I have chosen does not require Maths, but my second choice course would require Maths, and I would have been stuck had I not chosen my first choice.
french, german, theology

Thats nice. I do French now and I love it, I love German too. I have never done theology though, thats RS right?
Original post by niv1234
Thats nice. I do French now and I love it, I love German too. I have never done theology though, thats RS right?

yeah, theology's just philosophy which is questioning your existence and religion. i plan on doing languages at uni, so my third a level could be whatever.
Can someone help me I'm planning on doing these A levels

Biology
Psychology
Geography
Graphics

But then they told me to choose 3 of these A levels due to A level reforms and I don't know which one to remove since I love Geography and Graphics and I need Biology or/and a social science to go to a course that I want to do (Midwifery)
Original post by niv1234
Thanks thats good advice. Sadly my parents chose my Alevels for me and forced me to do subjects I really don't want to do. Now its too late to do anything and I have just accepted I am going to be miserable in the future.

Oh no why and which subjects ?
Original post by Starlight15
Can someone help me I'm planning on doing these A levels

Biology
Psychology
Geography
Graphics

But then they told me to choose 3 of these A levels due to A level reforms and I don't know which one to remove since I love Geography and Graphics and I need Biology or/and a social science to go to a course that I want to do (Midwifery)

Remove Graphics. It's the least facilitating and also your other subjects will be more relevant to Midwifery. Check the entry requirements of your universities as well to see if they don't want another science.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
Remove Graphics. It's the least facilitating and also your other subjects will be more relevant to Midwifery. Check the entry requirements of your universities as well to see if they don't want another science.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by niv1234
I wish it were that easy.

Your parents want you to be a medic, it seems.
yeah, theology's just philosophy which is questioning your existence and religion. i plan on doing languages at uni, so my third a level could be whatever.

Thats nice :smile:
Original post by nisha.sri
Oh no why and which subjects ?

Biology, Chemistry and Maths :frown:
Original post by niv1234

That's terrible! You should definitely do what you want to do - your A Level choices effectively decide your whole future as they will determine what you will be able to do at uni (if you want to go) and your type of degree will guide you towards certain jobs. I'm pretty sure it's not too late to change? As far as I'm aware, schools allow students to change their subjects on results day in case they don't get their required grades for their choices so you still have a lot of time! :smile:
Original post by surina16
That's terrible! You should definitely do what you want to do - your A Level choices effectively decide your whole future as they will determine what you will be able to do at uni (if you want to go) and your type of degree will guide you towards certain jobs. I'm pretty sure it's not too late to change? As far as I'm aware, schools allow students to change their subjects on results day in case they don't get their required grades for their choices so you still have a lot of time! :smile:

I hope thats true my school is aware of my situation so they said I could change my options early next year if I don't like them.
Original post by niv1234

I've picked that too :smile: Why did your parents pick them though ? What did you want to pick?

Quick Reply

Latest