The Student Room Group

Why do people think animals have the same rights as humans?

But then happily eat meat without thinking twice about what happened to that animal in front of them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

How do you know they are the very same people?
Reply 2
Original post by ODES_PDES
How do you know they are the very same people?

These are the type of hypocrits that make up the Green party.
Reply 3
There are people who think that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pulse.
There are people who think that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Personally, I consider humans and animals to have the same rights (if anything I think human's should have less than animals because animals haven't f*cked everything up) but I still eat meat because I see it as part of the food chain. Small animal is eaten by big animal, that's how it is for animals and in the wild and I see no reason why it should be different for us. I do not condone the bad treatment of animals and knows this does go on, but it's a lot better than it was 50 years ago and I hope that by 50 years time it'll be a lot better, sometime getting to the point where animals are treated how they should be.

Let us not forget that humans are animals as well. We just have bigger egos.
so you have like a little stick of carrot with your huge 5 pound steak?
Reply 7
Original post by similarBlank
Personally, I consider humans and animals to have the same rights (if anything I think human's should have less than animals because animals haven't f*cked everything up) but I still eat meat because I see it as part of the food chain. Small animal is eaten by big animal, that's how it is for animals and in the wild and I see no reason why it should be different for us. I do not condone the bad treatment of animals and knows this does go on, but it's a lot better than it was 50 years ago and I hope that by 50 years time it'll be a lot better, sometime getting to the point where animals are treated how they should be.

Animals should have the right to vote and to a fair trial?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RobML
Animals should have the right to vote and to a fair trial?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You realise those things are artificial, man-made, right?
Reply 9
You realise those things are artificial, man-made, right?

All rights are man made ...
The notion of "natural rights" is itself man made

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RobML
All rights are man made ...
The notion of "natural rights" is itself man made

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed. What I meant was I believe there is a level of, I guess, common curteousy that should be maintained. When an animal strikes it's prey it isn't intending to cause pain for sadistic reasons, it's just going along with the process of the food chain. I'm just saying, I hope all unnessary wrong treatment is eradicated in the future in our part of the process of the food chain.
Reply 11
Agreed. What I meant was I believe there is a level of, I guess, common curteousy that should be maintained. When an animal strikes it's prey it isn't intending to cause pain for sadistic reasons, it's just going along with the process of the food chain. I'm just saying, I hope all unnessary wrong treatment is eradicated in the future in our part of the process of the food chain.

Eating animals is itself unnecessary. If something is natural, that doesn't mean it's a good/acceptable thing to do. Some animals eat other animals, some also eat their young; do you think you could begin to justify the latter?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surely you see that this is hypocritical? If animals deserve greater rights than humans, then killing and eating animals would be prohibited as you would certainly not be allowed to do that to humans.

Unless you're arguing that human beings should be granted far fewer rights, and it should be fine to kill and degrade people, then your position is incoherent.
Original post by RobML
Eating animals is itself unnecessary. If something is natural, that doesn't mean it's a good/acceptable thing to do. Some animals eat other animals, some also eat their young; do you think you could begin to justify the latter?

Posted from TSR Mobile

All animals are different. I'm not saying we should eat our young, if I did I might as well say we should all walk on all-fours, use our teeth to kill and live outside. I'm not saying we should copy what othe ranimals do, we are our own species. I'm saying, we are different but that does not make us special. Some humans consider themselves to be above other animals because we're different, which I consider wrong. Specism, I think it's called. I'm just saying that we should treat animals as though they are conscious, living beings, which they are.

Original post by tengentoppa
Surely you see that this is hypocritical? If animals deserve greater rights than humans, then killing and eating animals would be prohibited as you would certainly not be allowed to do that to humans.

Unless you're arguing that human beings should be granted far fewer rights, and it should be fine to kill and degrade people, then your position is incoherent.

I wasn't saying animals should be given greater rights than humans I said, in my opinion, animals deserve greater rights than humans. (Which is why I put that in brackets....)
Reply 14

So I can eat you?
Original post by Hanvyj
So I can eat you?

Do lions eat other lions? Not generally, they eat other animals, which is what we do.

Anything will eat anything given enough pressure from lack of food: lions, humans or any other animals.
How can you be HALF vegan. That's not vegan. Thats meat eating. That's like saying i'm a vegetarian that eats sausages. And if you want to know why some people have the same rights as usual and how these rae abused go watch all the documentaries of inside the slaughter houses
Reply 17
Do lions eat other lions? Not generally, they eat other animals, which is what we do.

Anything will eat anything given enough pressure from lack of food: lions, humans or any other animals.

I'll feed you to my cat then. I don't eat meat from pressure, but for the taste. I think a cat would find eating you tasty.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hanvyj
I'll feed you to my cat then. I don't eat meat from pressure, but for the taste. I think a cat would find eating you tasty.

Did you even read what I said?

I said occasionally animals become cannibalistic, including humans, from pressure but generally, as with us, they eat meat from other animals.
Reply 19
Did you even read what I said?

I said occasionally animals become cannibalistic, including humans, from pressure but generally, as with us, they eat meat from other animals.

Exactly, you are not the same animal as my cat, so it can eat you. Where do you live? I assume you've informed the authorities that our laws need changing.

Quick Reply

Latest