The Student Room Group

Why are people so upset about this harambes killing?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by P357
Nothing more vile than the sheer psychopathy of your average peta zoophile freak...The world would be a much better place if we treated them like the animals they see as their own equals.

Ok? Bit ironic that you're saying that but you're the one who is coming off as a "psychopathic freak".

I'm entitled to an opinion without some butthurt animal-hater like you insulting me.
Original post by Copperknickers
gorillas ... pose no more danger to humans than a koala. That being said they are very large, and there was clearly a danger of injury to the child in this case,

Contradictory, much?
What am wondering is why no one is mad that the gorilla is locked up in the first place, whilst he should be in the wild,

Human life > animal anytime anyday, except for rapist&peadophile
no matter if the mother did it on purpose by throwing him bare hands into that cage , they did right by killing him, if a 4 year old boys life is in danger
Reply 63
Original post by Serpentine111
Ok? Bit ironic that you're saying that but you're the one who is coming off as a "psychopathic freak".

I'm entitled to an opinion without some butthurt animal-hater like you insulting me.

Not ironic at all. Valuing animal life over human life is psychopathic. Simples.
And i'm no animal hater...Not sure how'd you'd infer that from my post dissing weird zoophiles on the internet who wish death on other people.
Original post by Copperknickers
First of all, gorillas are not 'vicious animals'. They are herbivorous and pose no more danger to humans than a koala. That being said they are very large, and there was clearly a danger of injury to the child in this case, but that was largely because a troop of escaped hairless monkeys were shouting and screaming at the gorilla.

Why people who don't care about animal life care about other humans they will never meet is beyond me. If you have so little empathy as to think its OK to shoot animals for no good reason then why do you even care about your own species beyond family and friends? What kind of mental gymnastics does your brain do to justify such illogical compartmentalised thinking? Nazi Germany was one of the first countries in the world to introduce laws against cruelty to livestock, and yet they committed the Holocaust. And yet the same people who find that fact hard to comprehend somehow manage to commit exactly the same logical fallacy themselves, in reverse.

Great point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mil88
Respectfully, if the Gorilla intended to do that, he would have. However, the fact is that he didn't and indeed was showing signs of protective behaviour.

A gorilla (most cases) only attacks as violently as you have suggested when threatened. This gorilla was certainly not threatened by a 4 year old child, if he was, everyone would have known.

Also, even if taking action is most appropriate, why not use tranquilizers, or distract him with bananas which is what another zoo did?

If a gorilla dragged your 4yr old son through the water, would you like someone to toss some bananas over and hope for the best?
Original post by sarkrista112
I'd choose the gorilla over the child any day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would you choose the gorilla over your own child?
What is weird is how some people believe that animal lives are worth more than a humans. That is absurd. They're not even equal to us. We're above them and take priority.

The experts on the scene deemed it to be a life threatening situation. They acted accordingly. They did what they had to do. It's unfortunate that the gorilla had to die. Especially an endangered species, but that is a better scenario than a dead child.
Reply 68
So you're going to prioritise a gorilla over a 4 year old child when a majority of people in the world eat meat, which involves killing animals.

I wonder if you slipped in the cage instead would you be asking them not to shoot the gorrilla while it's tearing you to pieces.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by NathanW18
What is weird is how some people believe that animal lives are worth more than a humans. That is absurd. They're not even equal to us. We're above them and take priority.

What do you base that assertion on? Why do you feel 'superior', and why do you feel the need to organise the world into a hierarchy of 'superiority' and 'inferiority'?

The experts on the scene deemed it to be a life threatening situation. They acted accordingly. They did what they had to do. It's unfortunate that the gorilla had to die. Especially an endangered species, but that is a better scenario than a dead child.

I agree with that, having seen enough of the video to know that the gorilla was clearly extremely agitated. But since the child is OK, we can now admit that this was a very trafic incident for the gorilla and for its species, and whoever is responsible for allowing this situation to happen is should be held accountable for the death by negligence of a highly intelligent endangered animal. There are enough people out there killing endangered African animals without morons like this.

Original post by James82
Contradictory, much?

Not really. I wouldn't leave a koala unattended with a small child and then scream at it for 20 minutes straight.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cherryred90s
Would you choose the gorilla over your own child?

I cannot anticipate such hypothetical questions because I will never have children. I would choose a gorilla over a child, like I originally stated.
Original post by intelligent con
Why are people going so mental about this stupid gorrilla being killed. The fact is if it hadn't been killed it would have killed a 4 year old which surprisingly a lot of people seem to be ok with. This reminds me exactly of cecil the lion. I will never understand why westerners seem to think vicious animals are cuddly pets just because someone gave them a name and started a twitter hashtag about them.

First of all millions of animals are killed every day to give you mcdonalds or KFC and none of you seem to care about that. Secondly people who actually live in countries with these animals know how vicious they are so don't care if they are killed. Why people seem to think animal life is equal to human life is beyond me.

Because it takes a special amount of stupidity and negligence to allow your child to fall into a gorilla enclosure. A beautiful endangered animal there for your stupid and negligent unworthy ass

Poor creature did nothing wrong and had to endure a horrible death and lacks the comprehension to understand why
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Yes it is rather funny which things people pick to get upset over out of the multitude of events that don't affect them at all

I witnessed a child get brutally murdered and laughed because i find it funny that people get upset over events that dont effect me at all
Original post by BasicMistake
That's lovely and everything but I bet if your sister/brother/mother had fallen into the enclosure, you won't be telling the zookeeper to hold fire.

I would also want my sister/brother/mother to escape punishent if they had broken the law (Most laws). Doesnt mean it should be a rule
Original post by P357
Nothing more vile than the sheer psychopathy of your average peta zoophile freak...The world would be a much better place if we treated them like the animals they see as their own equals.

Psychopathy to value and have compassion for animals. Interesting
Reply 75
Original post by Betelgeuse-
I witnessed a child get brutally murdered and laughed because i find it funny that people get upset over events that dont effect me at all

My point was not that people should never be upset by stuff that doesn't affect them, but that the things that spark the most outrage don't seem, to me, to necessarily be those that warrant all the attention and emotional investment. There are many, many bad things that happen and don't affect you directly. And yet somehow stuff like this and Cecil the lion spark a lot of outrage, while most people aren't crying over the thousands of people starving to death every day, for instance. I guess it's simply a case of if the media sees fit to make a story out of it, i.e. it's brought to people's attention, then they'll lap it up as the thing they need to be outraged over.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
My point was not that people should never be upset by stuff that doesn't affect them, but that the things that spark the most outrage don't seem, to me, to necessarily be those that warrant all the attention and emotional investment. There are many, many bad things that happen and don't affect you directly. And yet somehow stuff like this and Cecil the lion spark a lot of outrage, while most people aren't crying over the thousands of people starving to death every day, for instance. I guess it's simply a case of if the media sees fit to make a story out of it, i.e. it's brought to people's attention, then they'll lap it up as the thing they need to be outraged over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-gf29nuYYA
Original post by sarkrista112
I cannot anticipate such hypothetical questions because I will never have children. I would choose a gorilla over a child, like I originally stated.

Don't make things complicated. Nobody would choose a gorilla over their own child.

What about your niece/nephew/cousin/sibling/parent? You would choose a gorilla over them?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by P357
Not ironic at all. Valuing animal life over human life is psychopathic. Simples.
And i'm no animal hater...Not sure how'd you'd infer that from my post dissing weird zoophiles on the internet who wish death on other people.

And why is that? Why is an animal's life worth less than a humans?

I'm not saying that they should have killed the child or let him die, but there were surely alternatives and it was completely the fault of the mother who is obviously incapable of looking after her 4 year old. The negligence shown on her part is disgusting and what's worse is that an innocent animal has had to be shot just because she's a terrible mother.

The fact that you are "dissing" and calling people "weird zoophiles" shows you are quite clearly someone who lacks any sort of compassion for animals, thus deeming you an animal-hater is pretty appropriate.
Original post by cherryred90s
Don't make things complicated. Nobody would choose a gorilla over their own child.

What about your niece/nephew/cousin/sibling/parent? You would choose a gorilla over them?

Would you choose your dog or cat over a strangers life in Zimbabwe?

Quick Reply

Latest