The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sweeneyrod
I speculate that they won't bother calculating 3 subject averages, because so few students will have them, but that they will still be very interested in your AS Maths and Further Maths UMS and uninterested in your other AS's. If you get 100% Maths and Further Maths I think you are practically guaranteed an interview and very likely to get an offer unless you really mess up your interview (like you turn up drunk or don't know what the number 7 is).

Na not for maths, if you get 100UMS in M and FM it looks good but you would still a good interview. Someone had 99% avg in all AS levels and still got no offer for maths.
Tbh I don't see a mathematical difference between 95% n 100%. UmS is the worst tripos indicator for Mathmos.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
ok thats good to know. does this hold for economics as well as maths?

Not sure about economics, I only know that they care alot about stats modules.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths

Fair enough. I'd have thought they'd be relatively free with offers because of STEP. I think a very high proportion of people with 100% UMS probably get offers, but most of them probably interview well as well, so who knows.
(edited 7 years ago)
Na not for maths, if you get 100UMS in M and FM it looks good but you would still a good interview. Someone had 99% avg in all AS levels and still got no offer for maths.
Tbh I don't see a mathematical difference between 95% n 100%. UmS is the worst tripos indicator for Mathmos.

Posted from TSR Mobile

out of curiosity, why do you think UMS is a bad tripos predictor for maths when it's good for every other subject?
ok thats good to know. does this hold for economics as well as maths?

Why did you take so many ASs early?

But either way they won't be that concerned. It's your most recent results or performance that's important.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I speculate that they won't bother calculating 3 subject averages, because so few students will have them, but that they will still be very interested in your AS Maths and Further Maths UMS and uninterested in your other AS's. If you get 100% Maths and Further Maths I think you are practically guaranteed an interview and very likely to get an offer unless you really mess up your interview (like you turn up drunk or don't know what the number 7 is).

You overestimate 100UMS average too much. This year no one below an interview score of 6 or something got an offer for maths, and it is not like you get a score higher than 6 'just' by not turning up drunk or knowing true number 7.

Source of interview scores: FOI somewhere, can't link but it is easy to find.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I agree. I myself didn't even have a UMS average, I think they put me in Z category or whatever it is called for those without UMS average across 3 subjects.

I think Zacken was the same way, or I might be wrong but I think he applied without AS on other subjects but maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill

But either way they won't be that concerned. It's your most recent results or performance that's important.

Posted from TSR Mobile

uhhh well my school is weird so i did most of my gcses 2 years early (2014) so then i did random AS levels that my school decided (i had no choice) alongside the rest of my gcses the next year (2015). and now i am here doing completely different subjects
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

She wrote earlier that she was forced by her school or something lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Insight314
You overestimate 100UMS average too much. This year no one below an interview score of 6 or something got an offer for maths, and it is not like you get a score higher than 6 'just' by not turning up drunk or knowing true number 7.

Source of interview scores: FOI somewhere, can't link but it is easy to find.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough, although I expect most people with 100% UMS did get an interview score of 6+.
out of curiosity, why do you think UMS is a bad tripos predictor for maths when it's good for every other subject?

It's just complicated statistics that only Zacken would understand. They make up some kind of distribution or something for the people that get a specific grade in their Tripos based on their UMS, GCSEs, STEP II/III grades and then they have found that STEP III best indicates success in Tripos and is substantially a better indicator than UMS averages. Sorry if that doesn't make much sense, I just remember some bits of what Siklos told us on STEP Easter School about how they decide their rejections and acceptances for Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fair enough, although I expect most people with 100% UMS did get an interview score of 6+.

Not always. Interview tests knowledge of the subject whereas high UMS tests help given by school, and how well they can memorise mark schemes or grind through past papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because Maths and Further Maths A-Levels are a bit of a joke for mathmo applicants, all of them get high UMS so it doesn't differentiate well between candidates and it just tests the wrong skills required for the Tripos, hence the purpose of STEP.
@Insight314 Oooh did they just do a FOI for maths or did they do it for other subjects too?
Original post by PhysicsIP2016
@Insight314 Oooh did they just do a FOI for maths or did they do it for other subjects too?

It was only for Maths, sorry. To be precise, I think it was only for Churchill. :biggrin: I am a Churchill applicant so I was pleased that I didn't do terribly on the interview haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Insight314
It was only for Maths, sorry. To be precise, I think it was only for Churchill. :biggrin: I am a Churchill applicant so I was pleased that I didn't do terribly on the interview haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw yay well done! :biggrin: I would be so interested to see what I got - I thought I messed mine up :rofl:
I'm a vampire for pen blood...
WIN_20160531_00_14_39_Pro.jpg
Original post by EricPiphany
I'm a vampire for pen blood...
WIN_20160531_00_14_39_Pro.jpg

Is it sad that I know you're doing 2001, I, Q7?
Original post by Zacken
Is it sad that I know you're doing 2001, I, Q7?

No, that's not sad at all.
Fears grow for missing Cambridge University student, 21

http://dailym.ai/24052dY
Sad, hope he is found.

Original post by Serine Soul
That's awful. I hope he's found safe

Yes, he was found "safe and well" a few days later.

http://www.varsity.co.uk/news/10302
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Cambridge-student-Matthew-Campsie-safe/story-29301664-detail/story.html

Latest

Trending

Trending