The Student Room Group

Cambridge International 2016 Chemistry (9701) Paper 2

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Dohaeris
How'd you find the bio exam? What variant did you do?

I did 42.

Hey. I did 42 too! I thought it was good. I mean I expected worse. what about you?

I had a few doubts though, like what was the answer for :
the type of reaction,
Phosphorylated glucose to glucagon
and glucagon to phosphorylated glucose?

I forgot a bit on continuous variation.

Which question did you do from section B?
I was so confident on 9.

Although people said it was hard.

Ready for tomorrow?
Original post by A.S.J
Hey. I did 42 too! I thought it was good. I mean I expected worse. what about you?

I had a few doubts though, like what was the answer for :
the type of reaction,
Phosphorylated glucose to glucagon
and glucagon to phosphorylated glucose?

I forgot a bit on continuous variation.

Which question did you do from section B?
I was so confident on 9.

Although people said it was hard.

Ready for tomorrow?

I also had no clue about those two reactions, so I just said polymerisation and hydrolysis :/ What did you put?

For continuous variation, I also wasn't too sure. I just mentioned that they consisted of quantitative differences, that some of its genes could have an additive effect (such as for height), and that the environment could affect it.

I also did Q9 :biggrin: It was much easier, though 9 marks seemed like quite a lot for the Krebs cycle.

Hopefully, is there anything you're finding difficult in chem?
Reply 42
I also had no clue about those two reactions, so I just said polymerisation and hydrolysis :/ What did you put?

For continuous variation, I also wasn't too sure. I just mentioned that they consisted of quantitative differences, that some of its genes could have an additive effect (such as for height), and that the environment could affect it.

I also did Q9 :biggrin: It was much easier, though 9 marks seemed like quite a lot for the Krebs cycle.

Hopefully, is there anything you're finding difficult in chem?

I swear1 I had no clue.
No I put the first as reduction the other as oxidation. Because I read somewhere, it said glycogen is oxidised into phosphorylated glucose. Idk if I'm right!

I just said that genes could randomly switch on causing variation and all

True, so I started with Links reaction. but the ms does give one mark for each tiny tiny thing so I wrote every single thing I knew. Hope to get good in bio. How's paper 5?
Oh ad the genetic question? I found that challenging too.

Yea the electrode potential calculation. Calculation E cell is giving me a hard time.
And the rest is okay. I love transition elements. And organic is easy also I feel. wbu?

By the way did you do deprotonation for transition elements? Apparently its not in the syllabus and not required.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by A.S.J
I swear1 I had no clue.
No I put the first as reduction the other as oxidation. Because I read somewhere, it said glycogen is oxidised into phosphorylated glucose. Idk if I'm right!

I just said that genes could randomly switch on causing variation and all

True, so I started with Links reaction. but the ms does give one mark for each tiny tiny thing so I wrote every single thing I knew. Hope to get good in bio. How's paper 5?
Oh ad the genetic question? I found that challenging too.

Yea the electrode potential calculation. Calculation E cell is giving me a hard time.
And the rest is okay. I love transition elements. And organic is easy also I feel. wbu?

By the way did you do deprotonation for transition elements? Apparently its not in the syllabus and not required.

The one with GM mosquitoes? There were a couple annoying questions in there, yes. Paper 5 is good, I don't find it too difficult, so with some luck I can score highly in it.

Yeah, I think I'm ready. Just nervous, hoping that the exam isn't too difficult. Going over my notes now, I don't really have anything left to do :/

What's deprotonation? No clue what that is
Reply 44
The one with GM mosquitoes? There were a couple annoying questions in there, yes. Paper 5 is good, I don't find it too difficult, so with some luck I can score highly in it.

Yeah, I think I'm ready. Just nervous, hoping that the exam isn't too difficult. Going over my notes now, I don't really have anything left to do :/

What's deprotonation? No clue what that is

Really? No I found that was nice. And we had a GM mosquito in our mock exam as well. similar.
Yea true. But I'm planning on working hard for it just in case you know.
You take only 2 subjects?

I swear. me too. Our chem sir just sent us all revision notes, just doing those and then go over past papers and once again do specimen paper.

The acid base reaction with transition complexes? It was in his revisio notes so I got scared and asked.
Original post by A.S.J
Really? No I found that was nice. And we had a GM mosquito in our mock exam as well. similar.
Yea true. But I'm planning on working hard for it just in case you know.
You take only 2 subjects?

I swear. me too. Our chem sir just sent us all revision notes, just doing those and then go over past papers and once again do specimen paper.

The acid base reaction with transition complexes? It was in his revisio notes so I got scared and asked.

How much do you reckon you're likely to get?

Na, I also take maths, but that's still a while away.

Yeah, it's not in the syllabus, so it won't be coming.
Original post by A.S.J

So how'd you find it :/
Reply 47
So how'd you find it :/

Not good. what about you.
It was bad. It was hard and weird. completely different! I didn't expect this:/
Original post by A.S.J
Not good. what about you.
It was bad. It was hard and weird. completely different! I didn't expect this:/

Same here, and with pretty much my entire class. Almost every question was tricky, the kinda questions that would only make up one or two questions on past papers, and there were plenty of places were I lost marks. Really quite upset about it, I'd been doing really well on past papers.

Regardless of that, though, the grade thresholds are most probably going to be quite low, what with it being so difficult.
Reply 49
Same here, and with pretty much my entire class. Almost every question was tricky, the kinda questions that would only make up one or two questions on past papers, and there were plenty of places were I lost marks. Really quite upset about it, I'd been doing really well on past papers.

Regardless of that, though, the grade thresholds are most probably going to be quite low, what with it being so difficult.

Same. Im so upset.. and Im hoping it doesn't effecmy coming papers.
I still have a chance for Chemistry in paper 5 3 and 1. In shaa Allah to do good.
Even our Head of centre, our chem teacher too, he said gt will be low and we can write a complaint to cie.

By the way, if you don't mind me ask, you live in AD right? which school?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by A.S.J
Same. Im so upset.. and Im hoping it doesn't effecmy coming papers.
I still have a chance for Chemistry in paper 5 3 and 1. In shaa Allah to do good.
Even our Head of centre, our chem teacher too, he said gt will be low and we can write a complaint to cie.

By the way, if you don't mind me ask, you live in AD right? which school?

Really? Did your teacher have a look at the paper? What did he say?

Na, I live in Dubai.
Reply 51

Na, I live in Dubai.

No, I don't know why he wasn't in the exam hall then. but we told him.
My family friend di chem too, she said people in her class were crying too.
Reply 52
Na, I live in Dubai.

Na, I live in Dubai.

All the best for tomorrow I hope its a good paper.
Reply 53

Na, I live in Dubai.

So how did you find it??
I thought it was okay. I finished early though.
Original post by A.S.J
So how did you find it??
I thought it was okay. I finished early though.

Yep, I found it good, there was nothing difficult. Also finished quite early
Reply 55
Praying to get an A now.

Reply 56

I know peopke who keep saying chen was so easy. Im scared now
Original post by A.S.J