The Student Room Group

I don't want to live the life my parents want me to do!

They want me to become a doctor I don't want to study until I am 24 then 3 years training or longer if I want to became a surgeon lets say.I will be then earning about 30,000 per year.I am passionate about fashion and I want to wear what I want they don't want to get me designer clothing then if they want me to make my own money then sorry I am not becoming a doctor with crappy salary it only gets good if you have plenty of experience I don't want to wait until my 40s to wear what i want.I want to feel confident that is all I want all my life i felt ashamed of myself because of my clothes I felt ugly and not confident all I want is to feel good about myself.My parents could afford designer clothing but they only purchase it for themselves never for me.I just want to look nice i am tired of always looking ugly it makes me sad.

Scroll to see replies

Holy run on sentences, Batman!

Although I definitely sympathize with your situation, and wanting to lead your own way in life, I think your priorities are still not ideal. You're mixing your need for designer clothing with a career. Judging by your post, it seems like you wouldn't be successful in Medicine anyway, considering you don't have any interest in it. You should take time to think over what you really want to study, and how you may be able to convince your parents of that, or come to a consensus.

And you should also think about leaving behind this notion of judging your self worth by your possession of designer clothing, and turn it into your goals in life; whether they be of physical appearance or academic success (or anything really).
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't care that cheap clothes are also nice because expensive clothes are different I can never find anything similar to the clothes I like and I want to wear what i want I want to feel good about myself I did not ask to be born and if they want me to live their little dream of being a doctor then pay up because this will mean I am sacrificing myself for you to live your silly little dream of me being a doctor I mean please i used to be interested in medicine last year but money is what interests me not working shitty hours and sign shifts for what?No respect and poor pay no thank you.
Original post by BristolFresher15
Holy run on sentences, Batman!

Although I definitely sympathize with your situation, and wanting to lead your own way in life, I think your priorities are still not ideal. You're mixing your need for designer clothing with a career. Judging by your post, it seems like you wouldn't be successful in Medicine anyway, considering you don't have any interest in it. You should take time to think over what you really want to study, and how you may be able to convince your parents of that, or come to a consensus.

And you should also think about leaving behind this notion of judging your self worth by your possession of designer clothing, and turn it into your goals in life; whether they be of physical appearance or academic success (or anything really).

I am tired of waiting I have all my life wanted one thing which is to feel good about myself and look nice just once in my life I feel absolutely hideous and worthless I feel unmotivated to study.I just want to feel good I am tired of feeling ashamed of my appearance i am tired of having a low self-esteem.Ok I had enough I live my life dreaming and waiting and waiting i am tired of waiting to wear what I want I feel depressed because I feel like i am getting nowhere and i don't feel like studying anymore because to reap the rewards takes a long time and I want to feel confident in who I am.
Original post by Anonymous1502
I am tired of waiting I have all my life wanted one thing which is to feel good about myself and look nice just once in my life I feel absolutely hideous and worthless I feel unmotivated to study.I just want to feel good I am tired of feeling ashamed of my appearance i am tired of having a low self-esteem.Ok I had enough I live my life dreaming and waiting and waiting i am tired of waiting to wear what I want I feel depressed because I feel like i am getting nowhere and i don't feel like studying anymore because to reap the rewards takes a long time and I want to feel confident in who I am.

The only person that can change the way you feel about yourself is you. Feeling good comes from within, not from what you have.
Always always live for you. You have to be a bit selfish sometimes and do what's right for you even if the people close to you get in a nark (or more than a nark).

Be true to yourself and don't live a lie else you will only end up feeling resentful.
Reply 6

Which other high paying careers do you have in mind?

Spoiler

Expensive clothes won't make you feel whole. I think this is resentment towards your parents more than a clothing thing.

Self esteem can be affected by parents who make you feel that you're not good enough and your post seems to portray a sense of this. You are a worthwhile person no matter what your parents do or do not say and do.
Youd have to be pretty good to get past the interviews and you seem more orientated by money.

Its your life, so chase the money if thats what you wnat and know how to deal with your parents. Your rnat sounds a bit superficial, but your choice.
Original post by Shumaya

Spoiler

Investment banker,stock broker,they will make me feel a lot better because you feel so different when you ry a burberry coat than a gap coat for example I know this its true.
All I will advise is choose to do something you have a passion for first and something which you enjoy! :smile:
Doing what you love will make you happy rather than something you have no interest in.
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
Expensive clothes won't make you feel whole. I think this is resentment towards your parents more than a clothing thing.

Self esteem can be affected by parents who make you feel that you're not good enough and your post seems to portray a sense of this. You are a worthwhile person no matter what your parents do or do not say and do.

I just feel worthless and humiliated everyday when i wake up I cannot bear stand in front of a mirror it hurts so much to see how badly dressed I am.No one understands how it feels to feel absolutely worthless I feel like my personality and looks are both not good if I had the looks then I would feel a lot more confident I don't think my personality is good enough.My parents wouldn't notice or care if I cried for my eyes for hours in the bathroom they never comfort me or make me feel like I am important no one is ever there for me when I cry people only like me when I act like a happy person and lie my way through a conversation.
Original post by Pulscate
All I will advise is choose to do something you have a passion for first and something which you enjoy! :smile:
Doing what you love will make you happy rather than something you have no interest in.

i like expensive clothes and dressing nice,I am interested in medicine but this is not where my passions lay.I like writing english essays but the thing which would make me happy is to be able to wear what I want to feel worthy.
Original post by Shumaya

Spoiler

You cannot find a gap coat or a zara coat that looks like a yohji yamamoto coat ok I looked and looked and all affordable clothing are ugly compared to designer as none look similar.I never see any avant grade clothing only ugly conservative clothing and plain scarf made out of cheap cotton no cashmere or silk.
You cannot find a gap coat or a zara coat that looks like a yohji yamamoto coat ok I looked and looked and all affordable clothing are ugly compared to designer as none look similar.I never see any avant grade clothing only ugly conservative clothing and plain scarf made out of cheap cotton no cashmere or silk.

If you feel like **** in conservative clothing then investment banking is not the career for you
Reply 15
They want me to become a doctor I don't want to study until I am 24 then 3 years training or longer if I want to became a surgeon lets say.I will be then earning about 30,000 per year.I am passionate about fashion and I want to wear what I want they don't want to get me designer clothing then if they want me to make my own money then sorry I am not becoming a doctor with crappy salary it only gets good if you have plenty of experience I don't want to wait until my 40s to wear what i want.I want to feel confident that is all I want all my life i felt ashamed of myself because of my clothes I felt ugly and not confident all I want is to feel good about myself.My parents could afford designer clothing but they only purchase it for themselves never for me.I just want to look nice i am tired of always looking ugly it makes me sad.

I'm not even going to go into the doctor malarkey.
1. its not your god given right to demand clothes off your parents, if you want expensive clothes get a part time job? Things wont be handed to you on a plate forever.
2. Investment banker is long, tedious, awkward hours with crap pay until you're into your 40s too, as well as the other jobs you mentioned
3. If you really want to live in expensive clothes, you're going to struggle at uni. Pretty much everyone I know lives in Primark clothes... good bye top shop!
4. Quite frankly you sound pretty spoilt. People can tell if all you wear is designer clothes and 9/10 it comes across as up yourself and spoilt.
Original post by Shumaya
If you feel like **** in conservative clothing then investment banking is not the career for you

There are work clothes and out of work clothes conservative at work avant grade afterwork.
Original post by anna__
I'm not even going to go into the doctor malarkey.
1. its not your god given right to demand clothes off your parents, if you want expensive clothes get a part time job? Things wont be handed to you on a plate forever.
2. Investment banker is long, tedious, awkward hours with crap pay until you're into your 40s too, as well as the other jobs you mentioned
3. If you really want to live in expensive clothes, you're going to struggle at uni. Pretty much everyone I know lives in Primark clothes... good bye top shop!
4. Quite frankly you sound pretty spoilt. People can tell if all you wear is designer clothes and 9/10 it comes across as up yourself and spoilt.

I have 1 designer jumper 2 designer t shirts 1 designer jeans.There is nothing wrong with being spoilt we say it is because we envy spoilt children including myself am envious of them.Please give me a list of high paying respectable jobs then I will appreciate it thank you.

if you want expensive clothes, go and buy them, but I'm pretty sure cheaper clothes don't make you ugly, unless it's neon pink sweat shirts.
Reply 19
I have 1 designer jumper 2 designer t shirts 1 designer jeans.There is nothing wrong with being spoilt we say it is because we envy spoilt children including myself am envious of them.Please give me a list of high paying respectable jobs then I will appreciate it thank you.

doctor,lawyer, translator to name a few...
but you won't get rich quick.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending