The Student Room Group

I want to study medicine but...

So I want to ask people who are studying medicine about how it is. I want to know everything, anything and I want to know as much I can because I want to go down the medical route. Also, I want to ask people who are studying Biology and Chemistry at A-Level about how it is. People say it's hard but I need your help and the utter truth about how it is. All opinions are welcome as I think this could benefit a lot of people. Also, I want to know how the UKCAT is because I looked at a lot of practice questions and they look pretty intimidating like damn. Thanks so much in advance.
Hello there,

Biology and Chemistry are both extremely easy subjects to get your head around. Biology in regards to most other subjects has a
wide content but is extremely interesting and easy to get around.

Chemistry involves a lot of memorization but gets extremely easy once you can connect the dots. I have noticed the usual pattern being that if you cannot dot 1 to dot 2, you will be unable to proceed and connect dot 3 to dot 4. Just the way Chem is, especially Carbon Chemistry.

Medicine is extremely competitive so make sure you work hard and be able to attain A grades in A levels. There will be a lot of people either demotivating you or motivating you.. because of their opinion on Medicine. My teachers for example told me I will be having an extremely hard time applying for Medicine and that I cannot get anything below A in my AS. I got 4 A s anyway :biggrin: but my friend who got AABB was also able to apply for Medicine and got a few interviews. Don't listen to them, just put your standards high and work towards doing your best. If you find out Medicine is not for you, there are just so many other routes you can go towards, worry not!

Oh and be sure to take Maths. It is essential.
What have you researched so far about medicine and the UKCAT?
Depends on how you feel about the Biology and Chemistry that you have taken. Can you cope with a more advanced version?

In terms of the UKCAT, its just aptitude. You can prepare through sheer practice of questions and time management. Give it a few tries and see how you get on.

Another big thing is volunteering/work experience in and out of the healthcare setting.
Reply 4
OMFG I HATE MATHS THO. My ideal uni doesn't require it tho. Thank gosh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Researched quite a bit tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mrs.Grey
OMFG I HATE MATHS THO. My ideal uni doesn't require it tho. Thank gosh.

With the exception of one Cambridge college, no UK medical school requires maths at A Level. Chemistry, biology, and a third academic subject (plus one AS, though I'm unsure how/if that will change with the new A Levels) is sufficient.
Original post by alevez2ez
Oh and be sure to take Maths. It is essential.

I repped your post because it's mostly useful, but this is quite simply false. :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by Mrs.Grey

Spoiler

Medicine is a lot of work but it's not hard. Same for biology and chemistry. More work = more gain. Obviously if you work smart then you don't burn out.

UKCAT is hard, because it is very different to any realistic thing you've done in your life. You will never have to use what you need for it ever again. It's like having to write an essay with your wrong hand without going outside the lines; but I forgot to say you're timed so that you can't stop writing or you won't finish it. (Just so you don't get confused by this analogy, the test is done on a computer at the same place you do driving theory and it is an awful software program with an onscreen calculator that can't even do brackets...)

But don't worry about it. I got a good mark in the end but I only applied to one uni which considered it anyway so it will always be just a useless, fun memory for me :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending