The Student Room Group

Do you support gay marriage?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by #JOSH45#
That's absolutely not what I said. I simply stated that they have the ability to not engage in sexual activities if they were to be facing criminal charges whereas people of colour don't have the same ability.

They have that ability, yes, but is it not also arguable that sexuality is one of the most instinctual things to a human being? The drive to reproduce exists even where reproduction can't happen, as with gay people - they can suppress it, but they shouldn't have to.
Reply 161
Original post by samklipas0
No I am completely against gay marriage! It is not normal for a start. I don't really have much against gay people themselves but why allow something like gay marriage ruin traditional values and traditional wedding values

Tradition =/= Right

It was also once traditional to throw people in prison for being gay, or once traditional to keep slaves, just because something is traditional, doesn't make it right, especially if that tradition negatively affects people.
Original post by Olie
Tradition =/= Right

It was also once traditional to throw people in prison for being gay, or once traditional to keep slaves, just because something is traditional, doesn't make it right, especially if that tradition negatively affects people.

Like I said, it's a known fallacy, the appeal to tradition.
Original post by ivybridge
I just don't buy that any teens or young adults of this century acthally care. It's just an accessible argument. Oh what, you mean like you get to know those you would forbid from being happy and inlove? Lmfao.

Well what does being happy and in love got to do with gay marriage. So going by your flawed logic, you are saying that if someone is happy and in love, then they should marry each other? So every gay college student who is happy and in love should get married then?

I am entitled to an opinion as much as you are - I didn't come here to argue, just give my honest account - honesty - something that doesn't come to light much these days...
I've yet to come across a logical and valid reason why not. Assuming no religious institutions are forced to perform ceremonies (which in itself is still a grey area as the institution itself doesn't have the right to religious freedom, just the people that work there - so maybe individual priests etc.) then I haven't yet encountered a logically valid reason why not.
Original post by Mactotaur
They have that ability, yes, but is it not also arguable that sexuality is one of the most instinctual things to a human being? The drive to reproduce exists even where reproduction can't happen, as with gay people - they can suppress it, but they shouldn't have to.

Yeah, of course it is. To reproduce via a man and a woman. It's hardly a desire to "reproduce" if reproduction is physically impossible in every way, it's more so a desire for sex (not that, that's a bad thing but it stems from a place of pleasure rather than producing offspring). & I didn't say that they should repress anything I'm just saying that they can, which you agree with, so I rest my case.
Reply 166
Original post by Mactotaur
Like I said, it's a known fallacy, the appeal to tradition.

Ah yes, you beat me to it, just saw that :redface:
Yeah, of course it is. To reproduce via a man and a woman. It's hardly a desire to "reproduce" if reproduction is physically impossible in every way, it's more so a desire for sex (not that, that's a bad thing but it stems from a place of pleasure rather than producing offspring). & I didn't say that they should repress anything I'm just saying that they can, which you agree with, so I rest my case.

I'm not sure I agree where it stems from, but as I'm neither a biologist nor have done extensive research into the matter, it seems we agree on most things. Which is good enough for me!
Reply 168
Don't see what the problem is with gay marriage. They are entitled to the right to be just as happy as any other human couple on this planet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 169
Yes, everyone has the right to be happy. It's 2016 not 1979. Some people who have children, who may be gay, think it's fine to abandon their own children. Sounds like 'GREAT' parenting skills.
Original post by minimarshmallow
I've yet to come across a logical and valid reason why not. Assuming no religious institutions are forced to perform ceremonies (which in itself is still a grey area as the institution itself doesn't have the right to religious freedom, just the people that work there - so maybe individual priests etc.) then I haven't yet encountered a logically valid reason why not.

Well at the end of the day, marriage is a religious institution , whether we like it or not and was founded upon very clear rules, it's easily argued that the age old definition of marriage is one that simply doesn't include two people of the same sex. Therefore gay marriage isn't real marriage and why nobody ever opposes civil partnerships because that is more suited.

Not that this is necessarily my view but this would be the view I could understand.
Well at the end of the day, marriage is a religious institution , whether we like it or not and was founded upon very clear rules, it's easily argued that the age old definition of marriage is one that simply doesn't include two people of the same sex. Therefore gay marriage isn't real marriage and why nobody ever opposes civil partnerships because that is more suited.

Not that this is necessarily my view but this would be the view I could understand.

Marriage is a civil institution, not a religious one.
Because you can't choose your sexuality, just like how you can't choose your race. Sure, you can find ways of changing your skin colour or acting in a different way to how you actually feel to make yourself look like you belong to a different race or have a different sexuality, but you cannot choose which you are given.
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't really have much of an opinion on it but I do think it is right that it is legal. I guess I think people should be allowed to do whatever they want to do especially in their private lives as long as it doesn't harm anyone and this isn't harming anyone.
Looking at the arguments put forth against gay marriage in this thread, it is so obvious why those opposed to it so categorically lost the debate (at least in the more advanced and enlightened countries, hopefully the rest will catch up one day).
That's absolutely not what I said. I simply stated that they have the ability to not engage in sexual activities if they were to be facing criminal charges whereas people of colour don't have the same ability.

Edit :: You're clearly also quite an unintelligent person seeing as to how you managed to infer that I was saying gay people shouldn't have sex when I clearly stated "they can refrain" & either way in the older days heterosexual men and women had to remain chaste in order to avoid discrimination and celibacy was something that was expected so don't make it sound as if it would be impossible for gays to be chase.

Men slept around regardless of those standards.
Original post by ivybridge
Men slept around regardless of those standards.

Exactly - women were expected to be chaste, and people turned a blind eye to men.
It is not the right of the government to tell the Church how to practice its religion.

The state should not be involved in marriage at all - it is a religious ceremony.

I am not against gay marriage, if the Church wants to do it I have no issue whatsoever - the government should simply not impede on the rights of the individual's faith/religion.
The history of suffering isn't and gays can refrain from gay activity, blacks can't refrain from being black.

Anyway not gonna engage with you. My mother taught me from a very young age "you can't argue with stupid". Bye.

Gays can refrain from being gay in the same way that you could refrain from ever having a relationship with a person of the opposite sex. It's nominally an option, but it's a very unhappy life. The only humane and decent decision is to allow them to marry. If they can't, they lack a basic human right that the rest of us have.
Original post by Chaz W
It is not the right of the government to tell the Church how to practice its religion.

The state should not be involved in marriage at all - it is a religious ceremony.

Marriage is a civil institution, not a religious one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending