The Student Room Group

Do guys have feelings...??!?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Missimperfect18
I guess you have a point tbh media is an influence and some women can be really emotional but I was just asking not initiating an argument I sincerely apologise if you felt I was trying to portray women as the most appropriate emotional example.

Not an "argument", an argument. As in, synonymous to a discussion, not yelling at someone because they left the toilet seat up again :tongue:

But yeah, the media and social influence that everyone feels upon their lives dictates how they act, to a degree. Unless you reject the notion of fitting into any stereotype boxes, of course. Then you're free to act how you see fit (but some people will still undoubtedly judge you for it because they adhere to the attitudes instead of rejecting them).
Original post by Zuki
word

we feel hungry right? I guess that's a feeling :cry2:

:frown:.......
Reply 22
Original post by fatima1998
They do but some of them! In today's world, media have messed them up :sad:

"us" sounds more fitting.
Reply 23
just to clarify...I am not trying to be judgemental but...
I DID SAY every guy I come across and that's fewer than majority...
yes I did mean a romantic sense as an example but....many boys I am friends with do not really care about their surrounding I mean it seems like nothing evokes beneath the surface of their heart...
and I am just wondering if they do this to act tough or they really are this tough..
what do you think...
feel free to correct me please as this is not an argument this is just a girl trying to understand...

Fair enough. Well, a lot of guys are mentally strong, a lot of guys are not. In general, I'd guess that many will try to some extent to give the appearance of being so, whether they are or not, as they think it is more socially desirable. This is not to say half of guys are actively cultivating a different personality, they just might simply downplay certain emotional reactions they have beneath the surface (there are many who are perfectly comfortable not doing this as well, people are different)

Some will try and lessen their reactions on the outside not to hid themselves in any way but to feel better on the inside - contrary to popular belief, "letting it all out" is not always the best thing, or at least not for guys. When I was a kid up until maybe 12 or so I would cry every day. I'd cry publicly. I was so annoying lol. All this did was feed my negative feelings more. Now, I do my best to stifle strong emotional reactions. And it makes me more relaxed, relatively speaking. For instance, guys are in the main insanely competitive and I am probably moreso than average. Losing games can fill me with an almost comical level of rage. But if I just stand there, and let nothing out, and let it wash over me, I calm down. If I just lost it, I wouldn't be letting anything out, it'd just build up more and more.

However, there are cases where this mechanism can be destructive. Indeed this is not unique to men at all, it's a human thing. Sometimes, in the direst times, emotions really can't be pent up. I think even the strongest of guys will find themselves needing to cry and succumbing to it in the darkest times - close family deaths and the like. In general, I think it is felt that men showing negative/"weak" emotion is fine, under the right circumstances, but these circumstances are pretty limited.

This was all waffle and didn't really answer you but oh well
media ??!?!!? how ??!??!

like showing skinny hot women in movies and thats where attraction come from = big booty and all that :blah: :blah:
showing romantic scenes which increase their testosterone which they tend to replicate e.g. if they are going out with someone, they would have sexual intercourse first and then decide whether he loves her or not :colonhash:
but they also have feelings and it will show when they loved someone deeply and she dumped him or something else cause them to be apart
same applies to females as i well i guess :colone: but this is specifically for males... plus girls are more emotional when it comes to relationships :cry2:
Original post by Eriasu
"us" sounds more fitting.
nope! its them :u: didn't mess me up plus its about males so talking about them in particular
honestly I apologise if I sound rude but every boy I've come across is for emotionally detached...or OVER ambitious...
I mean do they even love....or is it just attraction for the time being....

Its just lust. Anything to satisfy the little man down there apparently.
Reply 26
nope! its them :u: didn't mess me up plus its about males so talking about them in particular

If you actually think females aren't effected by media then you're ignorant.
Original post by Eriasu

feel like you think that because i dont know where i mentioned that :hmmmm:
Reply 28
feel like you think that because i dont know where i mentioned that :hmmmm:

Then can you be specific on where media messed up males only?
Original post by Eriasu

Females are affected by media in terms of body image amongst other things The media doesn't target female emotions it doesn't tell us how to feel whereas the media does target male emotion.
There are a few possibilities- the guy is trying to be a macho man

-the guy is in deep thought

-the guy is apathetic/hates society (but the right people can always find a way to their heart)
Reply 31
Original post by Anonymous
Females are affected by media in terms of body image amongst other things The media doesn't target female emotions it doesn't tell us how to feel whereas the media does target male emotion.

Thanks for specifying.
Ok so I couldn't help but join in.

When I was younger I used to think that all guys were emotionally insensitive, but in my experience (especially with romantic relationships) men tend to be more vulnerable to "infatuation" and are often more emotionally invested than women.

The issue arises from social pressures on men to not show emotions and for them to only care about physical needs (women also expect them to act like this). In reality the stereotypes are false: There are women who prioritize sexuality over romantic emotions and there are men who do the opposite.

Since society has educated men to be less sharing with their emotions than women, often this leaves them less equipped to deal with emotional stress (which may be why men are very likely to suffer from depression)
Original post by theKTanator
Ok so I couldn't help but join in.

When I was younger I used to think that all guys were emotionally insensitive, but in my experience (especially with romantic relationships) men tend to be more vulnerable to "infatuation" and are often more emotionally invested than women.

The issue arises from social pressures on men to not show emotions and for them to only care about physical needs (women also expect them to act like this). In reality the stereotypes are false: There are women who prioritize sexuality over romantic emotions and there are men who do the opposite.

Since society has educated men to be less sharing with their emotions than women, often this leaves them less equipped to deal with emotional stress (which may be why men are very likely to suffer from depression)

emotionally invested like how?
Original post by Zuki
lol feelings ive been dead inside for years

Aww, thats soo sad, why do u feel like that :frown:
honestly I apologise if I sound rude but every boy I've come across is for emotionally detached...or OVER ambitious...
I mean do they even love....or is it just attraction for the time being....

to be honest i am a girl, and i think that they can love, but maybe some of the boys choose not to, as they may be afraid of getting hurt :smile:
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Fair enough. Well, a lot of guys are mentally strong, a lot of guys are not. In general, I'd guess that many will try to some extent to give the appearance of being so, whether they are or not, as they think it is more socially desirable. This is not to say half of guys are actively cultivating a different personality, they just might simply downplay certain emotional reactions they have beneath the surface (there are many who are perfectly comfortable not doing this as well, people are different)

Some will try and lessen their reactions on the outside not to hid themselves in any way but to feel better on the inside - contrary to popular belief, "letting it all out" is not always the best thing, or at least not for guys. When I was a kid up until maybe 12 or so I would cry every day. I'd cry publicly. I was so annoying lol. All this did was feed my negative feelings more. Now, I do my best to stifle strong emotional reactions. And it makes me more relaxed, relatively speaking. For instance, guys are in the main insanely competitive and I am probably moreso than average. Losing games can fill me with an almost comical level of rage. But if I just stand there, and let nothing out, and let it wash over me, I calm down. If I just lost it, I wouldn't be letting anything out, it'd just build up more and more.

However, there are cases where this mechanism can be destructive. Indeed this is not unique to men at all, it's a human thing. Sometimes, in the direst times, emotions really can't be pent up. I think even the strongest of guys will find themselves needing to cry and succumbing to it in the darkest times - close family deaths and the like. In general, I think it is felt that men showing negative/"weak" emotion is fine, under the right circumstances, but these circumstances are pretty limited.

This was all waffle and didn't really answer you but oh well

reading this and a few other people's opinions I guess guys have feeling after all
but they tend to hide it until the are comfortable with person they know wont judge them perhaps... and yes It is a human thing YES !! AGREED :smile:
Nah. They're stone cold.
Original post by Anonymous
we all have feelings until some girl breaks their heart

I completely accept it!!
Can't speak for all men, but I've become more emotionally detached and as I got older. I'm quite literally dead inside, it's kinda concerning ngl :indiff:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending