The Student Room Group

Is Egyptology a social science?

Just wondering, as I applied for something that said you needed to be studying a social science. I classify it as one, anyhow. I haven't got a reply yet so we'll see what happens. Any opinions?
Original post by Edminzodo
Just wondering, as I applied for something that said you needed to be studying a social science. I classify it as one, anyhow. I haven't got a reply yet so we'll see what happens. Any opinions?

It is a cool subject

Spoiler

Original post by ODES_PDES
It is a cool subject

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

That is what I thought.
:biggrin:
Bump? Is Egyptology a social science? SOMEONE HELP, PLEASE!
No.
No, I don't think it is :smile:
Apparently Egyptology IS a social science, because I'm through to the next round! :biggrin:
Apparently Egyptology IS a social science, because I'm through to the next round! :biggrin:

Irrelevant. It isn't a social science, it's a humanities subject. Frankly I'm amazed you even asked this question.
Original post by Snufkin
Irrelevant. It isn't a social science, it's a humanities subject. Frankly I'm amazed you even asked this question.

I saw an article recently arguing that it was a social science, so that's where my confusion stemmed from.
I saw an article recently arguing that it was a social science, so that's where my confusion stemmed from.

Also irrelevant. Egyptology is a humanities subject.
Original post by Snufkin
Also irrelevant. Egyptology is a humanities subject.

I'm very sorry, I wasn't sure before.
Egyptology would likely be referring to ancient egyptian civilisation and is likely a branch of archaeology without going on to a website to check and using what I consider my own common sense.

Archaeology requires natural sciences such as biology, chemistry and then geography to bring in the social science side, and then when you are talking about history, culture, religion, architecture this would be a mix of social science and humanities.
Original post by post-grad-u-ate
Egyptology would likely be referring to ancient egyptian civilisation and is likely a branch of archaeology without going on to a website to check and using what I consider my own common sense.

Archaeology requires natural sciences such as biology, chemistry and then geography to bring in the social science side, and then when you are talking about history, culture, religion, architecture this would be a mix of social science and humanities.

Because it is focused on one specific civilisation it is like asking if '18th century englandology' is a social science.

Because it is focused on one specific civilisation it is like asking if '18th century englandology' is a social science.

Thank you very much. I understand that it is a mixture and the programme I am applying for simply stated that you must be studying a 'social science'. Therefore, I was unsure whether or not I would be eligible to apply, but I applied anyway and was successful.
Congrats on your success :smile: Some of you in this thread are being quite unnecessarily blunt also.
Original post by Inexorably
Congrats on your success :smile: Some of you in this thread are being quite unnecessarily blunt also.

Thank you very much. :biggrin:
Original post by Inexorably

Not at all. The OP asked a question and got a succinct and not impolite answer. For reasons unknown he then bumped the thread and claimed that Egyptology was in fact a social science even though it isn't.

Quick Reply

Latest