The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mjcal1
Do you want me to bring you the evidence for the permissibility of beating your wife?

I would have said EXACTLY the same before I knew about it aswell lol.

I would like it if you did give me evidence...
Reply 61
Original post by CorpusLuteum
I would like it if you did give me evidence...

Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded; and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in the sleeping-places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great.
Al nisa 4:34

I left the surah and the verse so you could check it out for yourself aswell. You'll find a way to justify it anyways so good luck.
Yeah, the reason christianity is more appealing is that God is a more loving character however in Islam you're taught that if you do one thing wrong then a list of bad things will happen to you. However in the quran it is said very frequently that:

Say, "O My servants who have transgressed against themselves [by sinning], do not despair of the mercy of Allah. Indeed, Allah forgives all sins. Indeed, it is He who is the Forgiving, the Merciful."

So I (imo) muslims need to grasp that more than the fact they feel some sort of guilt for everyone 'sinning' when really the quran teaches you - if there's nothing to be done about it then it's not your business anymore man.

Amen.
The last paragraph isn't even just a issue with some muslims, a lot of people in general seem to feel the need to dictate other people's lives since they have a very "my way is the right way" mentality.

Muslims need to invest time in bettering themselves and not trying to enforce sharia in a christian country and **** like that.

You can set a good example :wink:

I think some of the Hadiths are necessary but they must be looked at throughout sunni and shia sources to find the one that appeals most to islamic values. I don't think anyone should personally approve a hadith until they have read all documents of it. Personally, I think a lot of the hadiths have a lot of errors because lots of bias must have been present after the death of the prophet (i.e. sunni's, shias, whatever). Some may not even be true but as long as they encourage good then it's fine.

Fair points.
If you ever want to read silly Sahih ones just search any topic on sunnah.com.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mjcal1
Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded; and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in the sleeping-places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great.

I left the surah and the verse so you could check it out for yourself aswell. You'll find a way to justify it anyways so good luck.

I'd rather you read the arabic version, then became a scholar who understood arabic in 500 AD then came here and told me exactly what that meant (along with ... um, i dont know, maybe when the verse was brought down and the prophet himself.)
Original post by macsalaama
Amen.
The last paragraph isn't even just a issue with some muslims, a lot of people in general seem to feel the need to dictate other people's lives since they have a very "my way is the right way" mentality.

You can set a good example :wink:

Fair points.
If you ever want to read silly Sahih ones just search any topic on sunnah.com.

Posted from TSR Mobile

More like, sunnah...com
Original post by Mjcal1

I'd rather you read the arabic version, then became a scholar who understood arabic in 500 AD then came here and told me exactly what that meant (along with ... um, i dont know, maybe when the verse was brought down and the prophet himself.)

http://www.qtafsir.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=672&Itemid=59
Worth reading... I'll myself out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66

Are you serious right now? You're really really just going to look at that and tell me I need to be a scholar that can read ancient Arabic to understand that beating your wife is wrong?

Are you're parents scholars who understand ancient Arabic? Because by that logic you shouldn't take anything from them either.

Anyways, I knew you would skim past it. (Quite shocked how you responded though lol). Ask your sheikh about it, I'm sure he'll tell you if push comes to shove you're allowed to beat your wife (unless he's a liar)
Reply 67

They're just words on a page... He needs to physically see the sahaba explaining it or else it's fake trololololol
Original post by Mjcal1
Are you serious right now? You're really really just going to look at that and tell me I need to be a scholar that can read ancient Arabic to understand that beating your wife is wrong?

Are you're parents scholars who understand ancient Arabic? Because by that logic you shouldn't take anything from them either.

Anyways, I knew you would skim past it. (Quite shocked how you responded though lol). Ask your sheikh about it, I'm sure he'll tell you if push comes to shove you're allowed to beat your wife (unless he's a liar)

The word you've translated to beating is not a direct translation of the word in the arabic verse. So kind of, yeah.
To be honest, it's not fair to beat your wife and I don't believe it's right. Afterall, the quran is a historic piece of writing that may have some errors. Either that or there's another explanation which I'll look up when I'm not revising about osmosis.
Original post by Cobalt_
You know when you grow up and stop believing in the tooth fairy or Santa.

Same thing, there comes a time where you have to let your imaginary friends go.

If you pray you'll know if shaytan/satan really exists. I've stopped praying because him.
Reply 70
The word you've translated to beating is not a direct translation of the word in the arabic verse. So kind of, yeah.
To be honest, it's not fair to beat your wife and I don't believe it's right. Afterall, the quran is a historic piece of writing that may have some errors. Either that or there's another explanation which I'll look up when I'm not revising about osmosis.

Fair Enough. Good luck on your exam.
Original post by Mjcal1
Fair Enough. Good luck on your exam.

Thanks silly goose.
Take Care.
:P
Original post by *Alisha*
If you pray you'll know if shaytan/satan really exists. I've stopped praying because him.

U wot?

Seriously though, why blame the shaytaan when the truth is you just can't be bothered to do it yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mjcal1
They're just words on a page... He needs to physically see the sahaba explaining it or else it's fake trololololol

Brb, summoning the sahaba as we speak.

He has a point though, the word can be translated to "separate" rather than beating. Although that's not a commonly accepted one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
U wot?

Seriously though, why blame the shaytaan when the truth is you just can't be bothered to do it yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No it isn't...you won't understand.
Brb, summoning the sahaba as we speak.

He has a point though, the word can be translated to "separate" rather than beating. Although that's not a commonly accepted one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just a quick note:

The sahaba wouldn't have exactly been the best of people to explain the quran because they weren't with the prophet when he received the revelations lol... I'd more likely go for Ali Ibn Abi Talib.
No it isn't...you won't understand.

I can't read your mind, do tell me what it is?

Are you telling me the same shaytaan who defied Allah and refused to listen to him has resorted to petty acts like stopping you from praying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can't read your mind, do tell me what it is?

Are you telling me the same shaytaan who defied Allah and refused to listen to him has resorted to petty acts like stopping you from praying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dude, doesn't it make sense that life is a test? and that there would be evil?
Yeah and I'm only 15 and it's been 2 years since I haven't prayed:s-smilie:
I use to get whispers....how about you go on the link below:
https://islamqa.info/en/21052
Have a nice day:tongue:
Dude, doesn't it make sense that life is a test? and that there would be evil?
Yeah and I'm only 15 and it's been 2 years since I haven't prayed:s-smilie:
I use to get whispers....how about you go on the link below:
https://islamqa.info/en/21052
Have a nice day:tongue:

That's cute

If you're getting "whispers" you might want to consider speaking to someone, that's not normal.

Evil and good.. very subjective
If there is evil, and the shaytaan is the one inflicting it he's still not the cause nor the evil one. Ultimately he can't do anything without Allah's will.

So, it was Allah who didn't want you to pray.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's cute

If you're getting "whispers" you might want to consider speaking to someone, that's not normal.

Evil and good.. very subjective
If there is evil, and the shaytaan is the one inflicting it he's still not the cause nor the evil one. Ultimately he can't do anything without Allah's will.

So, it was Allah who didn't want you to pray.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That makes no sense...if Allah was evil then why would we worship him??
And don't ask me, I'm not that religious anymore.

Latest