The Student Room Group

Why do some young people want to leave the EU?

I find it unfathomable that some young people actually think leaving the EU would be the best option. Mark Carney (Gov of the Bank Of England) stated that there would be a sharp recession due to lower trade as a result of leaving the EU. How can you argue with that?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sahil19
I find it unfathomable that some young people actually think leaving the EU would be the best option. Mark Carney (Gov of the Bank Of England) stated that there would be a sharp recession due to lower trade as a result of leaving the EU. How can you argue with that?!

It's more about the people who take advantage of the EU.
To be honest, Britain is destined for doom so leaving the EU is not going to change our fate.
Also, david cameron is a selfish shellfish who only seems to think about the upper class.
Reply 2
Because they've been fed the line that the only reason people want to leave is due to racism and xenophobia.
Reply 3
Original post by CorpusLuteum
It's more about the people who take advantage of the EU.
To be honest, Britain is destined for doom so leaving the EU is not going to change our fate.
Also, david cameron is a selfish shellfish who only seems to think about the upper class.

I agree with your last point, as a Labour member, but this isn't about party politics. It's SUCH a risk even considering the idea of leaving..
Original post by sahil19
I agree with your last point, as a Labour member, but this isn't about party politics. It's SUCH a risk even considering the idea of leaving..

Well, no matter what we try to do to sway the government, they'll always find a cheeky way to do what they want so. Eh.
Original post by sahil19

Well with the large campaigns run by both Leave and Remain, it focuses on effects that simply won't be noticed by many people and so both have been ineffective and definitely exaggerated. For a lot of young people this has turned them off from engaging and many have either turned to other sources such as discussions they hear around them from friends and families (though perhaps less friends). There are pros and cons to leaving and remaining either way so I think it's perfectly acceptable for people to choose either, I highly doubt a massive impact will be felt either way. The case from statistics is just too unreliable, most young people have 0 faith in them so they definitely aren't making a decision on the basis of such speculative claims. So yeah, some young people will have specific reasons to leave though in my opinion there are some spurious correlations made to justify their stance against the EU such as those on immigration and the economy.
Original post by sahil19

When was the last time Mark Carney predicted something like that correctly? He hasn't been able to predict the economic indicators correctly, and they are much easier to predict than recessions. He is a liar or a fool if he claims to know the future.

Also, you should realise that Mervyn King, the former governor of the Bank of England has said that the economic consequences of Brexit have been exaggerated. So there goes your entire argument. Although King isn't always right either. Economists are usually wrong when it comes to predicting the future, and always have been. Economists analyse the past.

Either way, you must realise that people aren't going to make informed votes, and you are kidding yourself if you believe otherwise.
Reply 7
Original post by george-90
When was the last time Mark Carney predicted something like that correctly? He hasn't been able to predict the economic indicators correctly, and they are much easier to predict than recessions. He is a liar or a fool if he claims to know the future.

Also, you should realise that Mervyn King, the former governor of the Bank of England has said that the economic consequences of Brexit have been exaggerated. So there goes your entire argument. Although King isn't always right either. Economists are usually wrong when it comes to predicting the future, and always have been. Economists analyse the past.

Either way, you must realise that people aren't going to make informed votes, and you are kidding yourself if you believe otherwise.

"There goes your entire argument." It's not Mark Carney's new idea, it's common sense that leaving the EU means less trade with our biggest partner which has a detrimental affect on the economy (a recession.)
Original post by sahil19
"There goes your entire argument." It's not Mark Carney's new idea, it's common sense that leaving the EU means less trade with our biggest partner which has a detrimental affect on the economy (a recession.)

A sharp recession, or a slight recession? Not all recessions are significant. And how do you know that other economic factors will remain constant? How do you know that a fall in regulation won't increase business in the UK? How do you know that trade with other countries won't pick up? How do you know what trade agreements will be established? etc. etc.

If only predicting the future economy was that easy - maybe people would actually be able to do it. There are countless factors that cannot be controlled for. This isn't a scientific process.
Reply 9
Original post by george-90
A sharp recession, or a slight recession? Not all recessions are significant. And how do you know that other economic factors will remain constant? How do you know that a fall in regulation won't increase business in the UK? How do you know that trade with other countries won't pick up? How do you know what trade agreements will be established? etc. etc.

If only predicting the future economy was that easy - maybe people would actually be able to do it. There are countless factors that cannot be controlled for. This isn't a scientific process.

It isn't a scientific process but when the Leave camp are asked about the economy, jobs etc. they reply with "we just don't know" Remain have a clear idea about the future of Britain.
Original post by sahil19
It isn't a scientific process but when the Leave camp are asked about the economy, jobs etc. they reply with "we just don't know" Remain have a clear idea about the future of Britain.

At least they are being more honest. Nobody knew the economic consequences of abolishing slavery in the US, and it turned out to be economically beneficial. (Of course the moral arguments are not equal - just provided an easily accessible example)

However, the Leave camp does have just as good idea of what the economic consequences are - they are just more honest about the unknowable nature of them.

You should also understand that the economic consequences are not decided by any party or ideology or either of the two camps. Both are likely wrong - that is just the due to the nature of economics. It relies on so many factors that predictions are highly subject to chance. In truth, nobody knows what would happen.

That doesn't mean that one shouldn't be voting based on political consequences. The pro-democracy arguments are certainly much stronger than economic arguments from either side. That is what makes the Leave argument stronger - each side's economic predictions are just as unlikely, but at least the Leave camp has strong political and moral points also.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sahil19

Implying that Carney must be correct and the only consideration should be the economy in the short term.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sahil19

They don't have a clear idea, they want to look like they do, the job of those who make economic forecasts, especially long term ones, are to make astrologers look good. We were predicted doom and gloom if we left the ERM. Similarly if we didn't join the euro. If this is doom and gloom twice over imagine how incredible the economy would be if we didn't pull out of the ERM and joined the Euro!

Some of those forecasting the apocalypse also said in 2007 "everything is fine, nothing bad is going to happen for ages," and said of Greece in 2010 that there will be a short recession and then sunshine and rainbows, look what actually happened.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I am a young person and I will be voting out because I see very few valid reasons as to why we should remain and plenty of valid reasons as to why we should leave. Simple as that.

To be honest, Britain is destined for doom

Is that your opinion or is it written somewhere in the Bible?
Original post by ByEeek
Is that your opinion or is it written somewhere in the Bible?

What's the bible got to do with this? Are you referring to the parable...
The parable of david cameron that ends with 0 population in the UK?

Lol get out man
Original post by Jammy Duel
Implying that Carney must be correct and the only consideration should be the economy in the short term.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, if you can't get a job in the short term for a couple of years, the long term is pretty irrelevant. By the time things do pick up, you are pretty worthless to most employers - degree or no degree. Being on the dole is not really very good work experience to put on your CV.
What's the bible got to do with this? Are you referring to the parable...
The parable of david cameron that ends with 0 population in the UK?

Lol get out man

Ha - you said the UK is doomed, completely out of the blue. Just exactly why is it doomed? Looks pretty good from where I am sitting although a weather front from the east is slightly obscuring the sun right now.
Original post by ByEeek
Ha - you said the UK is doomed, completely out of the blue. Just exactly why is it doomed? Looks pretty good from where I am sitting although a weather front from the east is slightly obscuring the sun right now.

Yeah, of course it's doomed. David cameron is selfish and so desperately is trying to keep the UK a first world country. He should probably think about the people before he thinks about the taxes and the countries income. Maybe a simple life would be better for the citizens.
Original post by ATW1
I am a young person and I will be voting out because I see very few valid reasons as to why we should remain and plenty of valid reasons as to why we should leave. Simple as that.

Like what?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending