The Student Room Group

Do you support gay marriage?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chaz W
It is not the right of the government to tell the Church how to practice its religion.

The state should not be involved in marriage at all - it is a religious ceremony.

I am not against gay marriage, if the Church wants to do it I have no issue whatsoever - the government should simply not impede on the rights of the individual's faith/religion.

In which case congratulations you pretty much support gay marriage as it currently is practised. Religious groups that want to partake in a religious gay marraige can if they wish whilst those that do not are not forced to. The only thing I can see you maybe having an issue with is non religious marriage (gay or other wise)
Original post by samklipas0
Well what does being happy and in love got to do with gay marriage. So going by your flawed logic, you are saying that if someone is happy and in love, then they should marry each other? So every gay college student who is happy and in love should get married then?

I am entitled to an opinion as much as you are - I didn't come here to argue, just give my honest account - honesty - something that doesn't come to light much these days...

Being happy and in love has everything to do with marriage. I'm not saying that every single couple who are happily in love should marry, but they should have the option.

And yes, of course you are entitled to your opinion, just as we are entitled to tell you that it's garbage. The right that you have to an opinion doesn't make you immune to criticism.
Original post by Chaz W
It is not the right of the government to tell the Church how to practice its religion.

The state should not be involved in marriage at all - it is a religious ceremony.

I am not against gay marriage, if the Church wants to do it I have no issue whatsoever - the government should simply not impede on the rights of the individual's faith/religion.

Which they don't.
Original post by ATW1
Inequality is a fact of life. I am not against it, I just accept it as it is. We aren't all equal and that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Sounds like defeatism to me. Injustice may be a fact of life, but where we can reduce it, we have a moral imperative to do so.
Definitely support it, everyone should have the right to marry the person they love regardless of their/their partner's gender
Original post by #JOSH45#
Don't compare being black to being gay. I'm not even black and that offends me. Gays and feminists need to stop trying to steal black peoples civil movement ! Were you enslaved ? No. So cut the crap.

& for those "tolerant" people talking about love. Practice what you preach, you can't call people "pieces of ****" because they don't agree with you and then think you're a tolerant, lovely person.

Erm, there's nothing about the comparison. You said it was like that for many years and should not be changed because of a minority. I ask you then, should black people be discriminated? According to your logic, they should, because 'it was happening for so long and it shouldn't be changed because of a minority'. Ie utter crap.

You evidently appear to forget that homosexuals are still being killed for being homosexuals. Or you're not leaving on this planet at least.

Your later statement makes no sense either. Criticism is a fundamental human right through freedom of speech. You're nobody to change that. End of.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Gays can refrain from being gay in the same way that you could refrain from ever having a relationship with a person of the opposite sex. It's nominally an option, but it's a very unhappy life. The only humane and decent decision is to allow them to marry. If they can't, they lack a basic human right that the rest of us have.

I never said it was a fun option, I said it was an option. Unlike blacks not being black. Again, I didn't say they shouldn't get married I just proposed the idea that it's not real marriage as it doesn't fit the original requirements.
Original post by Olie
I challenge anyone against gay marriage to watch the video of their wedding -

How could anyone be against that? Why would you want to deny them of happiness when it doesn't affect you in the slightest, no-one's forcing you to get married to someone of the same sex or go to a same sex marriage.

Their wedding was so so beautiful. Such a lovely couple :3
Original post by *Stefan*
Erm, there's nothing about the comparison. You said it was like that for many years and should not be changed because of a minority. I ask you then, should black people be discriminated? According to your logic, they should, because 'it was happening for so long and it shouldn't be changed because of a minority'. Ie utter crap.

You evidently appear to forget that homosexuals are still being killed for being homosexuals. Or you're not leaving on this planet at least.

Your later statement makes no sense either. Criticism is a fundamental human right through freedom of speech. You're nobody to change that. End of.

I never said anything about "many years". I said the definition of marriage doesn't include two people of the same gender. No black people shouldn't be discriminated against but it's been happening since the beginning of time and hasn't changed lol and there's nothing that states that's the order in which the world exists - for discrimination to be targeted at black people however the word marriage is synonymous with a man and woman.

Yeah and when anything about gays are said the whole world is in up roar ! About words ! Blacks were being killed and raped left right and centre even into the 90's and governments not only allowed it but condoned it (SA comes to mind).

& freedom of speech is no longer freedom of speech when it's trying to eliminate somebody else's freedom of speech, it's called bullying and censoring. & my main point regarding that actually, genius, was that people shouldn't claim to be tolerant when they don't want others who disagree with them to have a voice.
(edited 7 years ago)
if you leave 50 gay people on an island with no communication etc. come back in 100 years. BAM their gone. on a side track i don't really support gay marriage but i'm not against it either, i think its pointless tbh. the whole 'equality' thing has gone to far with soooo many things
Original post by Jackrosser97
if you leave 50 gay people on an island with no communication etc. come back in 100 years. BAM their gone. on a side track i don't really support gay marriage but i'm not against it either, i think its pointless tbh. the whole 'equality' thing has gone to far with soooo many things

What are you trying to say by the bit in bold?

Also, it is not pointless at all and do explain how you feel it's gone too far.
I never said anything about "many years". I said the definition of marriage doesn't include two people of the same gender. No black people shouldn't be discriminated against but it's been happening since the beginning of time and hasn't changed lol and there's nothing that states that's the order in which the world exists - for discrimination to be targeted at black people however the word marriage is synonymous with a man and woman.

Yeah and when anything about gays are said the whole world is in up roar ! About words ! Blacks were being killed and raped left right and centre even into the 90's and governments not only allowed it but condoned it (SA comes to mind).

& freedom of speech is no longer freedom of speech when it's trying to eliminate somebody else's freedom of speech, it's called bullying and censoring. & my main point regarding that actually, genius, was that people shouldn't claim to be tolerant when they don't want others who disagree with them to have a voice.

Original post by ATW1
I'm not religious but I think it's wrong. Why change a system that has operated successfully for hundreds of years just because of a small minority?

This is the quote I replied to, and to which you replied in turn. Please read before making assumptions.

What are you on about? Black people have suffered, of course. But to say that homosexuals have not would be to display your ignorance straight cut. From about 100AD homosexuals were killed at the spot. It's only been good for the past 10 years. It is hugely irresponsible to say homosexuals have not suffered. And for what? Loving someone of the same sex? Why is it so bad that they deserved to die for?

Erm, are you even thinking what you're saying? Are you suggesting that those who say 'gay should die', 'faggets' and whatnot should not be criticised? Are you listening to yourself? You point makes no sense. When you're being insulted at, your 'fight' back. End of story.

You're just another person with too small a thinking. Like all of those alike you, that is.
(edited 7 years ago)
This is the quote I replied to, and to which you replied in turn. Please read before making assumptions.

What are you on about? Black people have suffered, of course. But to say that homosexuals have not would be to display your ignorance straight cut. From about 100AD homosexuals were killed at the spot. It's only been good for the past 10 years. It is hugely irresponsible to say homosexuals have not suffered. And for what? Loving someone of the same sex? Why is it so bad that they deserved to die for?

Erm, are you even thinking what you're saying? Are you suggesting that those who say 'gay should die', 'faggets' and whatnot should not be criticised? Are you listening to yourself? Your point makes no sense. When you're being insulted at, your 'fight' back. End of story.

You're just another person with too small a thinking. Like all of those alike you, that is.

100% agree.
100%. In Britain our society is completely different to that in America, the entire legal system is different. Some states are more religious than other and this has caused such a widespread debate on such a simple question.
Should two people be allowed to get married - yes. Most would say yes, so I do not understand that when the genders of the individual are the same the answer can turn into NO. To be honest why should anyone care if two people get married as long as they love each other and there is no abuse we should all be happy.

If people are unhappy with Gay marriage or people being Gay then that's their problem. No one born Loving the person of the same gender can change that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Completely.
Original post by Olie
I challenge anyone against gay marriage to watch the video of their wedding -

How could anyone be against that? Why would you want to deny them of happiness when it doesn't affect you in the slightest, no-one's forcing you to get married to someone of the same sex or go to a same sex marriage.

I watched the video. Still against it
Original post by ATW1
If you are going to suggest that we do way with tradition to keep up with social trends, then I presume you are in favour of polygamous marriages and humans marrying their pets?

Original post by ATW1
Demand for gay marriage has grown in the same way that demand for polygamous and animal-human marriage will do in the future.

The slippery slope argument is lazy and is not valid.
Obviously when I talk about adjusting for society, I'm not suggesting that the door is thrown open to every fetish however strange. Homosexuality and gay marriage is not on a par with that.
When you're talking about adjusting the institution of marriage to allow for the LGBT community, it is actually just a minor adjustment to allow people of a different sexual orientation the same legal rights. It's equality. It's not the same as catering to people who want special privileges for their pervy extracurricular activities.
I do i mean sure why not if they are happy?

Erm, are you even thinking what you're saying? Are you suggesting that those who say 'gay should die', 'faggets' and whatnot should not be criticised? Are you listening to yourself? You point makes no sense. When you're being insulted at, your 'fight' back. End of story.

Yeah, they said it, not me, so I don't get why you're addressing me with it 😕😄

Again with the incorrect inferences. Nobody said gays haven't been treated poorly, what I'm saying is that for you to compare that poor treatment to what black people have gone through is incredibly silly. Read a text book, gay men have existed right throughout time, loads of Greek men slept with young boys and nothing happened to them, because it wasn't much of an issue. This has been going on around the world since the beginning and still goes on now, men have sex with men and don't call themselves gay.

Again, nobody said that you can't criticise but then it's a pretty big contradiction to dislike another person because of their opinion and then claim to be tolerant.
& for the rest of it, I don't really understand what exactly you're trying to say , typing errors, I assume.

Anyway like I said to that free loving LGBT hippy before , my mother always used to tell me "you can't argue with stupid" so bye.

Just a little something for you : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V5fVdDBxacU
(edited 7 years ago)
Well at the end of the day, marriage is a religious institution

V3y3QoFnqZc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending