The Student Room Group

Aqa gcse english language higher 2016

Does anyone have any tips on how to do well in the higher paper ?
Original post by alexabv15

The main thing is good time management. This is what my teachers recommended.
- 15 minutes highlighting sources 1-3.
- 12 minutes on Q1.
- 12 mins on Q2.
- 12 mins on Q3.
- 24 mins on Q4.
- 25 mins on Q5 (5 planning out ofthis 25).
- 35 mins on Q6 (5 planning out ofthis 35).
Reply 2
Original post by alexabv15

Tips:
Don't copy everything from the article.
Q1) Read the article . Highlight the focus of the question and Summarise - 200 words maximum (Use colon sentences).

Q2) Talk about content(information and ideas in the article) and presentation such as Images,headings,subheading and layout of material. When analysing headlines identify whether the article is positive.

Q3) Find similes, metaphors,repetition,imagery and personification. Also evaluate how effective the language choices are and what the words may convey.

Section B: Plan what you'll say before you start.
You should use subordinate clauses,Anaphora, similes, metaphors, repetition, personification and onomatopoeia. If you use subordinate clauses the examiner will be really impressed. Try to create as many complex sentences.

If you choose the article make fake expert opinions, statistics and case studies.

Print out some exam papers.
Reply 3
I struggle with question 4 of section A. I never manage to get more than 8 marks and always struggle with time
Original post by miless090
The main thing is good time management. This is what my teachers recommended.
- 15 minutes highlighting sources 1-3.
- 12 minutes on Q1.
- 12 mins on Q2.
- 12 mins on Q3.
- 24 mins on Q4.
- 25 mins on Q5 (5 planning out ofthis 25).
- 35 mins on Q6 (5 planning out ofthis 35).

15 minutes highlighting sounds a bit ridiculous don't you think...lol
Original post by graceelle
15 minutes highlighting sounds a bit ridiculous don't you think...lol

It was what my teachers said and not really because they meant reading the three sources as well as highlighting points.
Reply 6
For question 4, just go over a variety of language techniques and the effects of them. By explaining the author's intent and effect on reader you'll be able to reach the higher bands and marks. Also talk 'a lot about a little'. Pick on a word and zoom into it and analyse the connotations. Good luck!
What everyone else is saying is correct! But when analysing quotes, always choose them from the beginning, middle or end as this shows you've understood the text and the question. Give yourself a few minutes at the end to read through your answers and check for any mistakes because you can potentially lose marks if what you've written doesn't make sense and make sure you've correctly used SPAG.

Good luck everyone :smile:
hey peeps! I was reasearching aqa gcse creative writing and now I'm kinda confused... is the creative writing gcse part of the English language exam or is it a completely different exam? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending