The Student Room Group

relationship advice

So I am almost 18 and have been dating my boyfriend almost 4 years. There is one big problem, my parents are not aware of this. I come from a muslim background, although I do not wear a hijab an am not religious, my parents would absolutely kill me I they were to ever find out. Its coming to a point where its just difficult to hide now and it has caused arguments within our relationship. Him being a white English guy, I dont think he fully understands the reasons for me having to keep it a secret (although he says he does) we will be going to different unis soon and I just worried that we might not be able to make it work which would be such a shame because its been so long and I cant really imagine life any different. Is there any hope for us? :/
Thanks in advance
Just give your parents scenario like "imagine if ____ went out with a white guy , what would your opinions be "

Or you can just come out and say it , whatever happens .. Happens
Reply 2
I have done this and they've just said they would no way accept it in a million years.
I have thought about telling them just straight up but its so difficult because my sister made the mistake of doing it and they actually made her split up with her boyfriend, that's the main reason what's held me back from telling my parents
thanks for the reply btw
Reply 3
Will you be living out for uni or at home? I wouldn't bother telling them yet because uni tends to have an impact on existing relationships, it may not work out if you're going to different uni's, one of you might end up liking somebody else who you're spending more time with at uni. If both of you are living out it might be easier for you to be together like you could stay over in each others halls.
Reply 4
Original post by aarora
Will you be living out for uni or at home? I wouldn't bother telling them yet because uni tends to have an impact on existing relationships, it may not work out if you're going to different uni's, one of you might end up liking somebody else who you're spending more time with at uni. If both of you are living out it might be easier for you to be together like you could stay over in each others halls.

we will both be living at home, so yeah it will be very difficult but we managed it with nearly four years together but I think you're right, uni will be different. Despite that I do want to really try to see if we can make it work as you can imagine we have been through so much over the years. I guess my question is, is it worth trying or do you think we should both move on before it gets in a situation which can make us both unhappy
thanks for the reply

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending