The Student Room Group

Why do some young people want to leave the EU?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CorpusLuteum
Yeah, of course it's doomed. David cameron is selfish and so desperately is trying to keep the UK a first world country. He should probably think about the people before he thinks about the taxes and the countries income. Maybe a simple life would be better for the citizens.

You have said David Cameron is selfish (probably) and that he should think of the people before the economy (your opinion), but you haven't said why the UK is doomed.
Original post by ByEeek
You have said David Cameron is selfish (probably) and that he should think of the people before the economy (your opinion), but you haven't said why the UK is doomed.

Because...
Right, well you know, the parable of david cameron says so - hence it must be true.
The weathers not that great either so that's a bonus.
Because they want to take control of their country, and not be dictated to by the EU. The UK is a glorious nation that deserves to prosper, and the best way for it to do so is by voting to LEAVE the EU.
Original post by CorpusLuteum
Because...
Right, well you know, the parable of david cameron says so - hence it must be true.
The weathers not that great either so that's a bonus.

Never heard of that parable I'm afraid. I'll put you down as a "Don't know" to the question "Why is the country doomed?"
Original post by ByEeek
Never heard of that parable I'm afraid. I'll put you down as a "Don't know" to the question "Why is the country doomed?"

Lol, very generous.
Original post by ATW1
I am a young person and I will be voting out because I see very few valid reasons as to why we should remain and plenty of valid reasons as to why we should leave. Simple as that.

Exactly; some young people have seen the light and that's why they want to leave the EU.
Original post by sahil19
I find it unfathomable that some young people actually think leaving the EU would be the best option. Mark Carney (Gov of the Bank Of England) stated that there would be a sharp recession due to lower trade as a result of leaving the EU. How can you argue with that?!

That's quite an irresponsible thing to say in my opinion. There is no real plan for the terms by which we'd leave so nobody knows what trade agreements may be left in place. It seems a lot of people want to leave because they're labouring under the delusion that immigrants come here and sponge

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by Captain Jack
Like what?

EU is undemocratic. Those at the top with the power were appointed not elected. One of them is a former communist.

No control on EU immigration whatsoever. Unskilled EU citizens have the right to live/work/not work in the UK while skilled non-EU migrants have to go through the system.

Norway, Iceland and several other European countries aren't in the EU and have perfectly healthy economies and have trade deals with rest of Europe.

We pay £55m a DAY to the EU. Imagine what that could be spent on in this country. We get some of it back, yes, but why can't it go directly to farmers etc. rather than going through the EU.

National security would be at even greater threat. Any terrorist with an EU passport can freely travel to the UK with no questions asked. The claim that we are somehow safer in the EU is complete nonsense.

Should I continue?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Underscore__
That's quite an irresponsible thing to say in my opinion. There is no real plan for the terms by which we'd leave so nobody knows what trade agreements may be left in place. It seems a lot of people want to leave because they're labouring under the delusion that immigrants come here and sponge

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's obviously not the case though..
Oi Donald, your dad gave you a small loan of a million dollars aye?
Original post by Lord Gaben
Because they want to take control of their country, and not be dictated to by the EU. The UK is a glorious nation that deserves to prosper, and the best way for it to do so is by voting to LEAVE the EU.

In what way is the UK not prospering? We have surely never had it so good!
Original post by Salsa123
Well with the large campaigns run by both Leave and Remain, it focuses on effects that simply won't be noticed by many people and so both have been ineffective and definitely exaggerated. For a lot of young people this has turned them off from engaging and many have either turned to other sources such as discussions they hear around them from friends and families (though perhaps less friends). There are pros and cons to leaving and remaining either way so I think it's perfectly acceptable for people to choose either, I highly doubt a massive impact will be felt either way. The case from statistics is just too unreliable, most young people have 0 faith in them so they definitely aren't making a decision on the basis of such speculative claims. So yeah, some young people will have specific reasons to leave though in my opinion there are some spurious correlations made to justify their stance against the EU such as those on immigration and the economy.

Why u indirecting me
Original post by Nikhilm
Why u indirecting me

I wasn't even asking or suggesting anything about you but you can REMAIN in this thread if you wish.
Original post by sahil19
That's obviously not the case though..

The sponging off of the state or the exit agreements?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ATW1
I am a young person and I will be voting out because I see very few valid reasons as to why we should remain and plenty of valid reasons as to why we should leave. Simple as that.

^ This.
Original post by ByEeek
In what way is the UK not prospering? We have surely never had it so good!

Never had it so good on what metrics, I imagine it shouldn't be too hard to find better cases with at least most metrics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are economists on both sides of the argument so its almost impossible to just go off that. Honestly, i've been undecided for ages but one of the things thats tipping me to the leave is some of the silly things the in campaign is pushing (the one that really got the me was the "if we leave the EU we can no longer eat butter") There are chances for recessions on both sides but, personally, i'm holding more weight with the industry leaders that are saying we should leave for their industry so that they can sell to a wider audience. We can honestly say we don't know what will happen if we leave. To guess we have to go back 40 years when things were different but Remain can say more likely what will happen because they can extrapolate forward with their ideas from now. Many believe that the extra tariffs that are threatened on goods will be cancelled out by the money that will be saved from sending it to the EU. Its almost an impossible debate to have as both sides can only speculate but, not matter which side you agree most with i would worry against trusting banks after the last recession that they lead us in to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending