The Student Room Group

Poor UMS in Year 11 AS

I was wondering, firstly, whether UMS for all AS levels taken have to be declared in the Cambridge SAQ, even if it was taken outside of the 2 year sixth form period. Secondly, if how would below average UMS in early entry ASs affect my application? My school made me take 3 AS Levels in Year 11, alongside some of my GCSEs. At the time, I was quite annoyed about it and didn't put much effort in bc it wasn't going to be part of my main 4 a levels for any uni offers anyways.

My average UMS in all 3 were all As overall but all below 90% which I know is below Cambridge standard, but idk if it'll matter. The A-Levels aren't that relevant to my subject choice (Economics or maybe Maths). Also my module UMS are kind of all over the place:

Here is the breakdown if it's relevant (and I believe Cambridge get the whole module break down right?) the averages don't add bc some units are weighted more than others.

Citizenship: Overall 89%
Unit 1 - 72.5%
Unit 2 - 100%

English: Overall 83%
Unit 1 - 74.2%
Unit 2 - 96.3%

Science: Overall 87.3%
Unit 1 - 85.6%
Unit 2 - 91.3%
Unit 3 - 80%

So what do you think? Anyone have experience with applying with ASs taken during GCSE years?
Reply 1
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
I was wondering, firstly, whether UMS for all AS levels taken have to be declared in the Cambridge SAQ, even if it was taken outside of the 2 year sixth form period. Secondly, if how would below average UMS in early entry ASs affect my application? My school made me take 3 AS Levels in Year 11, alongside some of my GCSEs. At the time, I was quite annoyed about it and didn't put much effort in bc it wasn't going to be part of my main 4 a levels for any uni offers anyways.

My average UMS in all 3 were all As overall but all below 90% which I know is below Cambridge standard, but idk if it'll matter. The A-Levels aren't that relevant to my subject choice (Economics or maybe Maths). Also my module UMS are kind of all over the place:

Here is the breakdown if it's relevant (and I believe Cambridge get the whole module break down right?) the averages don't add bc some units are weighted more than others.

Unit 1 - 72.5%
Unit 2 - 100%

Unit 1 - 74.2%
Unit 2 - 96.3%

Unit 1 - 85.6%
Unit 2 - 91.3%
Unit 3 - 80%

So what do you think? Anyone have experience with applying with ASs taken during GCSE years?

Yes all grades (and UMS) must be declared in the SAQ - and indeed the grades must also be declared in your UCAS application. You can also mention the circumstances of having to take them earlier in the SAQ too.

If the subjects aren't that relevant for your intended course the admissions tutors won't be that concerned by them.

Unit 1 - 72.5%
Unit 2 - 100%

Unit 1 - 74.2%
Unit 2 - 96.3%

Unit 1 - 85.6%
Unit 2 - 91.3%
Unit 3 - 80%

Hi,

Don't worry! Right next to where it says your UMS it also says the year the exam was sat, so we'll be able to see you took it really early. 'Lower' UMS (they're not that low at all!) in less relevant subjects taken early won't count against you.

What will count against you (I can't believe people even think about doing this, never mind those that actually do it) is if you lie and don't declare all your exams on your application. If you get found out (and you probably) will, it can mean that any and all offers made through UCAS might be invalid and could be withdrawn without warning at any point, leaving you with no offers on results day. Universities really don't like dishonesty.
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Hi,

Don't worry! Right next to where it says your UMS it also says the year the exam was sat, so we'll be able to see you took it really early. 'Lower' UMS (they're not that low at all!) in less relevant subjects taken early won't count against you.

What will count against you (I can't believe people even think about doing this, never mind those that actually do it) is if you lie and don't declare all your exams on your application. If you get found out (and you probably) will, it can mean that any and all offers made through UCAS might be invalid and could be withdrawn without warning at any point, leaving you with no offers on results day. Universities really don't like dishonesty.

Thank you for this! Also do you know how u will calculate UMS averages next year or if you will calculate them at all?
Thank you for this! Also do you know how u will calculate UMS averages next year or if you will calculate them at all?

We will continue to use UMS in the same way as in the past if UMS is available. Remember that averages don't tell us very much and we look at individual scores in module-by-module detail.
We will continue to use UMS in the same way as in the past if UMS is available. Remember that averages don't tell us very much and we look at individual scores in module-by-module detail.

Hi, I am hoping to apply to Cambridge for modern languages AS results permitting, although I have heard that the average UMS score for successful humanities applicants is 93%. I feel that I could achieve around this result in all except one of my subjects; if I were to do really well in three subjects, and get a low/medium A in another, how would this affect my application?

Thanks a lot!
Original post by Stringer8ell
Hi, I am hoping to apply to Cambridge for modern languages AS results permitting, although I have heard that the average UMS score for successful humanities applicants is 93%. I feel that I could achieve around this result in all except one of my subjects; if I were to do really well in three subjects, and get a low/medium A in another, how would this affect my application?

Thanks a lot!

If you're on track for A*AA you can make a competitive application. There's a lot of rubbish doing the rounds about that 93% figure. 93% is the figure for compulsory pooling, the significance of which is very much overestimated by many on here. People can and regularly do get offers with lower UMS.
If you're on track for A*AA you can make a competitive application. There's a lot of rubbish doing the rounds about that 93% figure. 93% is the figure for compulsory pooling, the significance of which is very much overestimated by many on here. People can and regularly do get offers with lower UMS.

Ok, thanks for the response.

Ok so for the example of me, i will only have UMS in maths/further maths (bc reforms) so will my UMS average just use those two or would u use my year 11 AS UMS as part of my average?
Original post by jneill
Yes all grades (and UMS) must be declared in the SAQ - and indeed the grades must also be declared in your UCAS application. You can also mention the circumstances of having to take them earlier in the SAQ too.

If the subjects aren't that relevant for your intended course the admissions tutors won't be that concerned by them.

No way.. I took AS level Maths early and did okay in two modules and completely failed the third (which i didn't prepare for but was entered in) :/
What if I've retaken all the modules ? I can just specify my new UMS right?
Ok so for the example of me, i will only have UMS in maths/further maths (bc reforms) so will my UMS average just use those two or would u use my year 11 AS UMS as part of my average?

Don't worry about averages, we look in much more detail than that :smile:

Around 40% of applicants in previous years don't present with UMS averages as they're not taking UK A levels. This proportion will increase due to the reforms, but we're experienced in assessing people without averages, and looking past numbers to see the candidate underneath.
Don't worry about averages, we look in much more detail than that :smile:

Around 40% of applicants in previous years don't present with UMS averages as they're not taking UK A levels. This proportion will increase due to the reforms, but we're experienced in assessing people without averages, and looking past numbers to see the candidate underneath.

ok ty :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Someboady
No way.. I took AS level Maths early and did okay in two modules and completely failed the third (which i didn't prepare for but was entered in) :/
What if I've retaken all the modules ? I can just specify my new UMS right?

Nope. All modules have to be declared. But you can explain the circumstances in the SAQ.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Nope. All modules have to be declared. But you can explain the circumstances in the SAQ.

RIP to my soul 2016.
Reply 14
Original post by Someboady
RIP to my soul 2016.

1 "poor" module may not necessarily break your application. Cambridge understands people can have an off day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
You go Harris Westminster right? I'm struggling to decide between Harris and Kings Maths School:biggrin:
Original post by jneill
1 "poor" module may not necessarily break your application. Cambridge understands people can have an off day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh thats brilliant:biggrin: will they understand an off year? :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending