The Student Room Group

Maths Question help for interview

Hiya, Hope you guys don't mind me asking here! I'm currently in the process of interviewing for a job at HMRC and there are Maths/English tests. I was told by a friend there would be questions on Money exchange. I'm so stumped on how to work things out. I'm OK at maths, not great. If for example, 100 Euros is 124.68 dollars and 156.61 Australian Dollars, what is $40 US dollars in Australian Dollars? How would I go about working that out? Sorry if this is really simple!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JackEDeakin
Hiya,Hope you guys don't mind me asking here!I'm currently in the process of interviewing for a job at HMRC and there are Maths/English tests.I was told by a friend there would be questions on Money exchange. I'm so stumped on how to work things out. I'm OK at maths, not great.If for example, 100 Euros is 124.68 dollars and 156.61 Australian Dollars, what is $40 US dollars in Australian Dollars?How would I go about working that out? Sorry if this is really simple!

It is really simple lol. But anyway, forget Euros since that is irrelevant for answering the question. You know that 124.68 Dollars=156.61 Australian Dollars124.68\ \mathrm{Dollars} = 156.61\ \mathrm {Australian\ Dollars} so multiply both sides by 40124.68\dfrac{40}{124.68} and you're done.
(edited 7 years ago)
124.68 US Dollars = 56.61 Australian Dollars

40 US dollars = ? Australian Dollars

First find what 1 US dollar = ?? Australian Dollars then *40 to get 40 US dollars = ? Australian Dollars
Original post by JackEDeakin
Hiya,Hope you guys don't mind me asking here!I'm currently in the process of interviewing for a job at HMRC and there are Maths/English tests.I was told by a friend there would be questions on Money exchange. I'm so stumped on how to work things out. I'm OK at maths, not great.If for example, 100 Euros is 124.68 dollars and 156.61 Australian Dollars, what is $40 US dollars in Australian Dollars?How would I go about working that out? Sorry if this is really simple!

From USD to AUD:

40*(156.61)/(124.68)=50.24
Reply 4
Only a Green party supporter would need help to answer that. Oh wait...
Reply 5
Actually a member of Labour!

I was given that question (including the EURO's) as an example, which threw me off a little bit, as it looked irrelevant.
Reply 6
Original post by IrrationalRoot
It is really simple lol. But anyway, forget Euros since that is irrelevant for answering the question. You know that 124.68 Dollars=156.61 Australian Dollars124.68\ \mathrm{Dollars} = 156.61\ \mathrm {Australian\ Dollars} so multiply both sides by 40124.68\dfrac{40}{124.68} and you're done.

Not simple for all of us, thanks all the same.

Quick Reply

Latest