The Student Room Group

To all current Y11s. Be confident in yourself and your decisions.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Maths(Pre-U), Biology, Chemistry, Physics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by niv1234
I hope thats true my school is aware of my situation so they said I could change my options early next year if I don't like them.

Yeah I think that you can switch classes in your first few weeks of Y12 if you realise the subjects are not for you :smile:
Is your school doing anything about the situation (like talking to your parents, or just allowing you to choose your favourite subjects)?
Reply 42
Sometimes, guidance is good...

I originally planned to take Music, Physics, Chemistry and Maths. My Music department is terrible and I wasn't really a big fan of Chemistry but felt I should take another science just because, out of misplaced STEMphilia I guess. My history teacher wondered why I wasn't doing English or History and reminded me of my exceptional GCSE performances in them. I reflected a bit and decided he was probably right, and, indeed, I very much enjoyed both subjects, not so true of Chemistry. So I swapped it and Music for English and History. History was a nice and valuable AS; I was able to learn more about the history of the system of government in the country I live in which I think is pretty good stuff to know. English was a very nice AS and A2; though Maths has been my "thing" for a while, I have always loved English, and formulating arguments and ideas and interpretations, and discussing contrasting views, and so on. I very much enjoyed that A level.

Most people dropped out of Music or did terribly, and I've heard from many that it's very hard. Chemistry, well, just looking at some of the A level material on that could put me to sleep. So it's always good to reflect, and think about what others tell you. Even if you ultimately decide that they're full of **** lol.
Original post by nisha.sri
I've picked that too :smile: Why did your parents pick them though ? What did you want to pick?

My parents only think of maths and science subjects as 'real' subjects its so frustrating. I wanted to do Latin, German, History .
Original post by surina16
Yeah I think that you can switch classes in your first few weeks of Y12 if you realise the subjects are not for you :smile:
Is your school doing anything about the situation (like talking to your parents, or just allowing you to choose your favourite subjects)?

They tried to persuade my parents but it didn't work. Also because no one else wanted to do the subjects I wanted to do they didn't get put into the options block
Original post by Pulscate
Thank you so much Edminzodo! :smile:
I picked A level maths, chemistry and physics. I'm working at a C in GCSE and I want an A* at A level. See I'm brave! :tongue: :biggrin:

You can't be taking those subjects if your only working at a c grade lmao, im pretty sure there is miniuinm grades you need to get at gcse to do those a level?
Original post by niv1234
They tried to persuade my parents but it didn't work. Also because no one else wanted to do the subjects I wanted to do they didn't get put into the options block

Oh that's annoying. Couldn't your school compromise and make it possible for you to do at least 2 of your options? I think German and History are fairly popular, and then maybe you could do maths or even a science to please your parents?
Original post by surina16
Oh that's annoying. Couldn't your school compromise and make it possible for you to do at least 2 of your options? I think German and History are fairly popular, and then maybe you could do maths or even a science to please your parents?

I can't do German or Latin as not enough people are doing them but my parents have said I can do German as a 4th option if I move to a school that lets you do 4 Alevels. They really want me to do all 3 of those subjects I have tried asking to do biology and chemistry and not maths as I really don't enjoy it and they just looked at me like I am crazy.
Original post by theBranicAc
You can't be taking those subjects if your only working at a c grade lmao, im pretty sure there is miniuinm grades you need to get at gcse to do those a level?

No my sixth form said C is fine and try to get a B anyway:smile:
I would never be able to be a doctor. I hope so , they are making me do all their subjects but they said if I move to a school that lets you do 4 Alevels I can choose my own 4th option.
Reply 50
I am intending on doing maths, further maths, physics and chemistry at a-level in September. Despite working at an A* in all of these subjects at GCSE, I am nervous & unsure wether to take them. I just feel I may be unable to do all of these, despite them being my favourite subjects.
Original post by J__
I am intending on doing maths, further maths, physics and chemistry at a-level in September. Despite working at an A* in all of these subjects at GCSE, I am nervous & unsure wether to take them. I just feel I may be unable to do all of these, despite them being my favourite subjects.

Have faith in your abilities. With hard work, you'll be able to do really well in all of them! Best of luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Original post by Edminzodo
Have faith in your abilities. With hard work, you'll be able to do really well in all of them! Best of luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, that is really reassuring. & good luck for your exams.
Original post by niv1234
My parents only think of maths and science subjects as 'real' subjects its so frustrating. I wanted to do Latin, German, History .

That must be so annoying. You should have done what you wanted to do :smile:
What do you want to become when your older ?
Also, are your parents strict ?
Original post by nisha.sri
That must be so annoying. You should have done what you wanted to do :smile:
What do you want to become when your older ?
Also, are your parents strict ?

Yeah it is. Thats what everyone is saying but I really can't help it :smile: I really like languages- I do a lot of them in school so I wanted to do something with that or something like egyptology, anthropology or archaeology- I really enjoy that stuff. What do you want to be when you are older?

Yeah they are really strict and religious:colonhash:
Original post by J__

They aren't that bad a combo, they complement each other pretty nicely
Reply 56
Original post by samb1234
They aren't that bad a combo, they complement each other pretty nicely

Yeah thats what i thought, they are all related in some ways.
Original post by niv1234
Yeah it is. Thats what everyone is saying but I really can't help it :smile: I really like languages- I do a lot of them in school so I wanted to do something with that or something like egyptology, anthropology or archaeology- I really enjoy that stuff. What do you want to be when you are older?

Yeah they are really strict and religious:colonhash:

Coincidentally, I'm going to be doing Egyptology in September, and even if you take Biology, Chemistry and Maths, I think you'd be able to apply for the subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
Coincidentally, I'm going to be doing Egyptology in September, and even if you take Biology, Chemistry and Maths, I think you'd be able to apply for the subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats good I really didn't know that. What Alevels did you do?
Cheers! I decided to do all the humanities: history, geography and rs. Mainly because I enjoy them and i'm natural at them. I was going to do biology instead of RS but I think I'm glad I didn't choose it.... due to all the workload and graphs :s-smilie: but yeah I'm excited about A Levels, i know they're hard though, but I just want to drop all the crappy subjects haha

Quick Reply

Latest