The Student Room Group

A level Physics: How difficult?

Scroll to see replies

Physics...don't do it if you don't do maths xD and also, the exam style has changed a lot, so where I was getting A's in the old papers, I'm getting C's in the new ones... I would pick something easier. I do maths and I still find physics so confusing
Original post by Turtlebunny
You also need to be strong at maths, and with the new specifications, problem solving. Often instead of regurgitating material, especially in the new spec, they want you to use your theoretical knowledge of Physics to answer mathematical questions for example. In my exam, there was a very tough density question, that very few people got, in which you had to use your knowledge of Archimedes principle, in order to solve the mathematical problem.

Thanks, yeah maths is my weak point at the moment so I plan to practise.
I enjoy physics currently and enjoy learning more about it.

Original post by orphan_black
Insanely. Went from an A* at GCSE to an E at AS (got a U in one module and D in the other). good luck!

Ehhhh, Thanks.
I found A level Physics very hard, idk why but i found it very difficult
Original post by CorpusLuteum
Thanks, yeah maths is my weak point at the moment so I plan to practise.
I enjoy physics currently and enjoy learning more about it.

Ehhhh, Thanks.

If you're keen to do some extra practice, using your GCSE knowledge, that will prepare you nicely for A-level, PM me, and I'll send you some questions that I can mark for you if you wish :smile:
If you're keen to do some extra practice, using your GCSE knowledge, that will prepare you nicely for A-level, PM me, and I'll send you some questions that I can mark for you if you wish :smile:

Thanks a lot. Is it okay if I delay that until the end of june? :biggrin:
Thanks a lot. Is it okay if I delay that until the end of june? :biggrin:

Aye, it is. I will be doing my A2 Maths modules on the 21st and 24th and June, so will be busy then, but after that, sure :biggrin:
Aye, it is. I will be doing my A2 Maths modules on the 21st and 24th and June, so will be busy then, but after that, sure :biggrin:

Ah, funny that, I have a Physics3 exam on the 24th, all is well. :P
I've picked A-level physics for my course next year and lots of people say 'oooh, it's so difficult, blah blah. Do something you're good at etc'.

So, in all honesty, how difficult is A level Physics? Is it a real brain overload?
Could you give details on how to prepare for it?

I did cie for science a levels so I don't know how much it will differ but for preperation just start early, I left it till the end at AS and had to resit.

Wouldn't say the maths was difficult there was just plenty of it, especially if you're doing it at AS along with physics (I recommend that with any science btw). Do loads of practice questions from past papers along the way.

Good luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PharaohFromSpace
I did cie for a levels so I don't know how much it will differ but for preperation just start early, I left it till the end at AS and had to resit.

Wouldn't say the maths was difficult there was just plenty of it, especially if you're doing it at AS along with physics (I recommend that with any science btw). Do loads of practice questions from past papers along the way.

Good luck!

Thank you.
Good luck with your studies.
Original post by iMacJack
It is very mentally challenging, however very rewarding and interesting once you can get your head around the content

Hi

Do you learn about the Universe in A level Physics?
Original post by orphan_black
Insanely. Went from an A* at GCSE to an E at AS (got a U in one module and D in the other). good luck!

How can you go from a A to and E? Come on man Gcse physics isn't that easy, or are you just stupid?
I've picked A-level physics for my course next year and lots of people say 'oooh, it's so difficult, blah blah. Do something you're good at etc'.

So, in all honesty, how difficult is A level Physics? Is it a real brain overload?
Could you give details on how to prepare for it?

It is doable. Do some pre-reading on uncertainties and just start going over crap you learn in class regularly and you should be fine.
Original post by Kryptonian
Hi

It depends on your exam board
Original post by theBranicAc
How can you go from a A to and E? Come on man Gcse physics isn't that easy, or are you just stupid?

Lol. GCSE physics is ridiculously easy.
Lol. GCSE physics is ridiculously easy.

You clearly didn't work hard enough then did you!
You thought you were so clever after GCSE so didn't put in enough effort!
You clearly didn't work hard enough then did you!
You thought you were so clever after GCSE so didn't put in enough effort!

Well, getting consistent A's in my physics A level mocks says otherwise (understanding content is harder than regurgitating it), and getting full marks in my A level maths exams suggest otherwise, try again.
Well, getting consistent A's in my physics A level mocks says otherwise (understanding content is harder than regurgitating it), and getting full marks in my A level maths exams suggest otherwise, try again.

Lol I was joking. I'm bored you see. 😄

Good luck and well done for maths!! :smile:
Reply 37
Hi

Find out what exam board you'll be doing at your school and have a look at the specification for the course.
I can speak for the new AQA physics spec though, and no you don't. You do particle physics and a small amount on quantum mechanics but that's about as close as you'll get in AS (I mention these because obviously particles make up everything so in a way you are learning about the universe - moreso than in electricity - but not about space specifically).
In the second year of the course there's nuclear physics and one of the options (of which there are four or five and you pick one) is astrophysics. Now that, that part of the course looks super fascinating. But trust me on this, don't take physics just for that. One of the big reasons I chose physics is because of it, but I didn't really think it through that much because I've really struggled with a lot of the AS course and will likely be dropping it at the end of this year so I won't get to do it anyway, because I find it too hard. Tragic I know. Think it through, if you find enough of the rest of the course interesting, go for it. As long as you're sure and you work hard
Apologies for the huge word vom, hope it's a lil helpful
Reply 38
it's fine... not too hard, it's do able
Original post by quinn f
Find out what exam board you'll be doing at your school and have a look at the specification for the course.
I can speak for the new AQA physics spec though, and no you don't. You do particle physics and a small amount on quantum mechanics but that's about as close as you'll get in AS (I mention these because obviously particles make up everything so in a way you are learning about the universe - moreso than in electricity - but not about space specifically).
In the second year of the course there's nuclear physics and one of the options (of which there are four or five and you pick one) is astrophysics. Now that, that part of the course looks super fascinating. But trust me on this, don't take physics just for that. One of the big reasons I chose physics is because of it, but I didn't really think it through that much because I've really struggled with a lot of the AS course and will likely be dropping it at the end of this year so I won't get to do it anyway, because I find it too hard. Tragic I know. Think it through, if you find enough of the rest of the course interesting, go for it. As long as you're sure and you work hard
Apologies for the huge word vom, hope it's a lil helpful

Hi thank you so much!
I think it is AQA and that's a shame. :frown:
That was one of the main reasons I wanted to learn more about physics...
I like physics but that is fascinating.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending