The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Civil Engineering Course

Hi,
I was thinking about applying to Newcastle Uni next year to do Civil Engineering, and I was wondering whether or not your grade requirements are flexible or not? As in, could they go from AAB to ABB for example?
Many thanks,
anyone?
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Original post by mathsaddict1234
Hi,
I was thinking about applying to Newcastle Uni next year to do Civil Engineering, and I was wondering whether or not your grade requirements are flexible or not? As in, could they go from AAB to ABB for example?
Many thanks,

I suppose it will depend upon how much experience you have. They usually let people in if they have relevant experience in the field with lower grades. Show them you're passionate and diverse.
Original post by amingo26
I suppose it will depend upon how much experience you have. They usually let people in if they have relevant experience in the field with lower grades. Show them you're passionate and diverse.

what work experience do you recommend for civil engineering
what work experience do you recommend for civil engineering

You could look for an internship at companies. I know Thales and Lloyds Register do them. Do you have any smaller companies in the local area? You could ask if you could spend some time with them, shadow or do some admin for them. At least you are in the environment and can get them all important references. I'm not sure where you are in the UK but I know a local company in Leeds that I could contact or so on...

If not civil engineering, find some other engineering experience or town/urban planning (every council has a department for this).
Hi,
Many thanks,

Hi,

If your offer was AAB and you ended up getting ABB on results day then you would count as a 'near miss.' This means your applications would be re-considered in August along with all other 'near miss' candidates.

The selector will decide individually whether or not they want to still offer you a place. Whether you're successful or not depends on how close you are to the conditions and whetherthere are spaces left on the course. As a general guideline applicants who achieve ABB or above and put Newcastle as their firm choice are given preference. So if you're on track for ABB and have a strong personal statement I don't think you'd have much to worry about :smile:

All the best

Persephone
Original post by Newcastle University
Hi,

If your offer was AAB and you ended up getting ABB on results day then you would count as a 'near miss.' This means your applications would be re-considered in August along with all other 'near miss' candidates.

The selector will decide individually whether or not they want to still offer you a place. Whether you're successful or not depends on how close you are to the conditions and whetherthere are spaces left on the course. As a general guideline applicants who achieve ABB or above and put Newcastle as their firm choice are given preference. So if you're on track for ABB and have a strong personal statement I don't think you'd have much to worry about :smile:

All the best

Persephone

Hi,

Thank you for the reply!
I have another question, do you know roughly how many places are given out each year for this course and how competitive it usually is?

Many thanks
Take a look at: http://www.whatuni.com/degree-courses/csearch?subject=civil-engineering&university=newcastle-university it gives you all the civil engineering courses at NCL and you can click on specifics for last years data.

For Civil Engineering BEng Hons (3 years) last year at NCL, 235 people applied and 203 people got in.

Hope this helps
Take a look at: http://www.whatuni.com/degree-courses/csearch?subject=civil-engineering&university=newcastle-university it gives you all the civil engineering courses at NCL and you can click on specifics for last years data.

For Civil Engineering BEng Hons (3 years) last year at NCL, 235 people applied and 203 people got in.

Hope this helps

Thank you so much! How can I find out that information for myself?
Thank you so much! How can I find out that information for myself?

Click the link! www.whatuni.com is an amazing website you can find all sorts of statistics about different unis, different courses and those courses at the unis!
Click the link! www.whatuni.com is an amazing website you can find all sorts of statistics about different unis, different courses and those courses at the unis!

I'm currently on the Newcastle uni page for civil engineering, do I click request info?
I'm currently on the Newcastle uni page for civil engineering, do I click request info?

Hi, no. Just press the course title (the blue one)
Hi, no. Just press the course title (the blue one)

I can't find any information about how many people applied?
I can't find any information about how many people applied?

Found it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending