The Student Room Group

My Masterful GCSE A* JOuRnEy

This thread is dedicated to the guys and gals who want to win the bread and avoid the dread this year. My aim is an entourage of A*s, but I'm not there just yet...so imma be highlighting my journey on a daily, or even 6-hourly basis for the world to see!

Enjoy!

GCSE'S: Maths, English, Science....

I've already completed all my Science exams, and I'm on track for an A*. Got the highest in college for my ISA exam :smile: 44/50 (moderated down from 46 to 44!)

English: I got 100% in my coursework, so yeah, one of the best scores in the UK! Have the exam now!

TODAY: 31.05.2016 - Woke up super late today; 5pm in the evening after having a late-night binge on a popular TV series last night. I guess the stress just got the most of me, and I felt like there's more to life then a bunch of squirmy algebraic fractions. Will be making up for that today.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Genialtropism
This thread is dedicated to the guys and gals who want to win the bread and avoid the dread this year. My aim is an entourage of A*s, but I'm not there just yet...so imma be highlighting my journey on a daily, or even 6-hourly basis for the world to see!

Enjoy!

Good luck m8
Original post by IXxi HIIDA ixXI
Good luck m8

Cheers! I'm pushing myself to the limit,
#Mathlete
Cheers! I'm pushing myself to the limit,
#Mathlete

When are your exam dates and have you already had any?
When are your exam dates and have you already had any?

Had 3/6 exams already (U1 Math, & U5/6 Science)...the remaining 3 I have left are...

7th June 2016 - Reading & Writing (English)
9th June 2016 - Unit 2 (Maths)
14th June 2016 - Unit 3 (Maths)

Exam boards are all AQA
Had 3/6 exams already (U1 Math, & U5/6 Science)...the remaining 3 I have left are...

7th June 2016 - Reading & Writing (English)
9th June 2016 - Unit 2 (Maths)
14th June 2016 - Unit 3 (Maths)

Exam boards are all AQA

Maths shouldn't be difficult to get an A* in, just to loads of past papers and watch videos if you don't understand any topics completely.

I got a B in English so idk any good advice for that, except write lots in the exam. That's what I did and I was predicted to get D
Maths shouldn't be difficult to get an A* in, just to loads of past papers and watch videos if you don't understand any topics completely.

I got a B in English so idk any good advice for that, except write lots in the exam. That's what I did and I was predicted to get D

Impressive. I'm literally just refreshing all the U2 topics in Math so I get a thorough understanding before I go in deep with the papers. I have plenty at my disposal so that shouldn't be an issue.

For English, there's techniques which I'll be utilising. For example, all the 8 markers require a different approach than the 16 markers, and the 24 markers are where producing some creative writing of your own via a letter or some other form of media....is required.

But to be squarely honest, I have A LOT to do in MATH :L
Impressive. I'm literally just refreshing all the U2 topics in Math so I get a thorough understanding before I go in deep with the papers. I have plenty at my disposal so that shouldn't be an issue.

For English, there's techniques which I'll be utilising. For example, all the 8 markers require a different approach than the 16 markers, and the 24 markers are where producing some creative writing of your own via a letter or some other form of media....is required.

But to be squarely honest, I have A LOT to do in MATH :L

You've got enough time, don't waste a day
You've got enough time, don't waste a day

Yes. And I feel this would be a good time to say goodbye :smile: Stay around! Will be updating the thread tomorrow...

...*embraces some more Maths*....

Hi I saw you said it is not difficult to get an A* in maths. But I have a problem...
Basically up until the exam I was get A's and A*'s in all the papers we were doing. Then I did the non calculator exam on thursday and I had a panic attack- I could not understand even the most simple things on the paper and it went really badly- but I have worked really hard!
I was aiming for an A* but I now really need to get an A!
I am going crazy and am really scared to do the calculator paper! Please give me some advice...
Original post by sunshine774
Hi I saw you said it is not difficult to get an A* in maths. But I have a problem...
Basically up until the exam I was get A's and A*'s in all the papers we were doing. Then I did the non calculator exam on thursday and I had a panic attack- I could not understand even the most simple things on the paper and it went really badly- but I have worked really hard!
I was aiming for an A* but I now really need to get an A!
I am going crazy and am really scared to do the calculator paper! Please give me some advice...

Seems like you have a problem dealing with exam anxiety and being under pressure rather than the actual maths.

There isn't any good advice I could give you, but I can find some links for you to check out?
Seems like you have a problem dealing with exam anxiety and being under pressure rather than the actual maths.

There isn't any good advice I could give you, but I can find some links for you to check out?

Thank you so so much!:biggrin:
Why so few exams? Most GCSE students have between 17 and 25?
Original post by NiamhM1801

I have 31 exams :frown: for 12 gcse's
Original post by jazz_xox_

Wow... how do you cope!

Spoiler

Wow...I have 23 for 11! It sounds small compared to you (you unlucky soul) but it's a lot compared to many!
What is it that's made you have so many??
Wow...I have 23 for 11! It sounds small compared to you (you unlucky soul) but it's a lot compared to many!
What is it that's made you have so many??

I do separate science (9 exams)
English language and literature (4)
Maths and further maths (4)
Media (1)
French (2)
RE (2)
RS (4)
IT (3)

-oops I think I have 29, must have miscounted, still a lot though :frown:
I do separate science (9 exams)
English language and literature (4)
Maths and further maths (4)
Media (1)
French (2)
RE (2)
RS (4)
IT (3)

-oops I think I have 29, must have miscounted, still a lot though :frown:

Oh gosh I have 20, but some of my friends have around 12-14 because they don't do triple science. Does anyone have any clashes or days in isolation?

I'm a a mature student who's polishing up on his grades, so I basically chose to redo all the 'main' ones, hence I have so many fewer exams than ya'all. I can only reminisce how challenging it would be to do around 30 exams!

I did mine 4 years ago (20 y/o now)...

Quick Reply

Latest