The Student Room Group

How important really are GCSES?

I'm a Y11 student, currently sitting my GCSEs. I'm one of those people who puts A LOT and I mean A LOT of pressure on myself to do well. However, I feel like I've somewhat let myself down during these exams, and just need some help/reassurance to put my mind at rest. How deeply do Unis consider GCSEs? Will I be put at a disadvantage if I obtain one B in maths? (I'm not looking at Oxford, but other good Unis!!) Any help which can put my mind at rest will be much appreciated !
(edited 7 years ago)
what about unis like manchester nottingham etc? thanks for the help
That's a huge relief, I got AABBCCDE for my GCSE's but I'm predicted for A*AA in maths, biology and chemistry for a-levels now
Reply 3
Original post by studentgirl1409
i think no matter what you do you'll fail and end up somewhere in a bin. you sound pretty stupid to me i mean, a b in maths? you'll be lucky to make it out of your parents attic babes...

*parents'
Maybe learn how to use grammar before you post a hateful stupid comment. You appear to be the one who is stupid here
Original post by eliwats
*parents'
Maybe learn how to use grammar before you post a hateful stupid comment. You appear to be the one who is stupid here

thank you ! people who have nothing valid to say shouldn't say anything at all
Original post by IXxi HIIDA ixXI
That's a huge relief, I got AABBCCDE for my GCSE's but I'm predicted for A*AA in maths, biology and chemistry for a-levels now

you'll have to update us on how your application goes!
Original post by eliwats
*parents'

apologies comrade me and the author of this delightful thread are MATES, understandable that one should object to such treatment in such an abrasive manner but hey ho its all good banter at the end of la jour x x
Reply 7
Original post by tashaaparsons
I'm a Y11 student, currently sitting my GCSEs. I'm one of those people who puts A LOT and I mean A LOT of pressure on myself to do well. However, I feel like I've somewhat let myself down during these exams, and just need some help/reassurance to put my mind at rest. How deeply do Unis consider GCSEs? Will I be put at a disadvantage if I obtain one B in maths? (I'm not looking at Oxford, but other good Unis!!) Any help which can put my mind at rest will be much appreciated !

I've got offers from Russell Group universities (Exeter, Warwick, York) with a B in Maths GCSE, you should be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by eliwats
*parents'

sarcasmˈsɑːkaz(ə)m/
noun

the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

Reply 9
i think no matter what you do you'll fail and end up somewhere in a bin. you sound pretty stupid to me i mean, a b in maths? you'll be lucky to make it out of your parents attic babes...

I know you're trolling but I have a sibling who got a B in maths and got a 1st and I think top of the year in a Russell Group uni course
lol
Original post by TMC113
I've got offers from Russell Group universities (Exeter, Warwick, York) with a B in Maths GCSE, you should be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahh this is just what I needed to hear ! thank you! what were the rest of your results like?
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I know you're trolling but I have a sibling who got a B in maths and got a 1st and I think top of the year in a Russell Group uni course
lol

I'm only joking she's my friend!!!!!!!! IM SORRY EVERYONE IM GETTING A B TOO I WAS JOKING
you'll have to update us on how your application goes!

I've currently got provisional places at university of birmingham, sheffield, cardiff and manchester.
But I fear they may change due to the competition
Original post by IXxi HIIDA ixXI
I've currently got provisional places at university of birmingham, sheffield, cardiff and manchester.
But I fear they may change due to the competition

that's really good !! best of luck
Reply 14
ahh this is just what I needed to hear ! thank you! what were the rest of your results like?

RS A*
English language, 3 sciences, business, drama - A
Maths, Spanish, English Lit - B
Stats - C

They only really asked for English and maths though. They mainly look at predicted A level grades
Original post by TMC113
RS A*
English language, 3 sciences, business, drama - A
Maths, Spanish, English Lit - B
Stats - C

They only really asked for English and maths though. They mainly look at predicted A level grades

thanks, thats helped to calm me ahah
Reply 16
apologies comrade me and the author of this delightful thread are MATES, understandable that one should object to such treatment in such an abrasive manner but hey ho its all good banter at the end of la jour x x

is it really banter? I imagine people who are not confident in maths may find that comment only exacerbates their sentiments and make them feel even less confident.
These threads are public, think twice before posting something like that please in order to keep this a place where people can safely ask questions without fearing negativity, no matter it's nature.

Get ABB+ at A-level and gcses will mean nothing

my friend got into warwick to do maths with a D in english ****. nobody care !

Quick Reply

Latest