The Student Room Group

Should I do A-levels?

Hello everyone, I have a question to ask. Here's the situation I'm 17 years old (Soon to turn 18), I have been going to college now for nearly 2 years, since school finished back in 2014. And its getting to that time again when I have to decide what I want to do come September course wise. So far I have done the courses public services level 2 and a got a pass grade, I am currently doing Creative Media level 2 and I am predicted to get a merit quote distinction. However, I am still doing GCSE English because, by the laws that be say that you need to get a C grade minimum, as a lot of you I'm sure you know and can I just add there I am more then good at English, its just I have a tendency when answering a question to go off track a bit in my explanation, which I will correct in my GCSE English exam 7th May, third time lucky right?. I get the feeling that I am rather lacking in academic credentials, so this naturally made me both very concerned and very depressed. So I got the idea to improve my educational credentials by planning to take A-levels in September. I wanted to take A-levels immediately after secondary school, even in school but they wouldn't let me due to predictions, this new "system" they tried called "pathways" and poor attendance due to depression, bullying and jobsworth teachers personal vendettas, in a nutshell my old school was my personal Alcatraz. And I am now more determined then ever to give the finger to those who wronged me, the system, the teachers and of course the ********s that took all their personal ****ing pain out on me. Sorry for getting carried away there people, back to the question. I was thinking of choosing A-levels that compliment each other and these A-levels are what I had in mind; A-level History (I like History as a hobby anyway so I'm already set anywhere from Ancient Rome up to modern day), A-level Government & politics (I have always had an interest for politics since an early age), A-level Geography (Geographical locations just stick with me for some reason, I know all 50 US states off by heart, no idea how) and finally A-level Law (To compliment Government & politics of course). You guys are probably wondering what I want to do as a job? Well I was hoping somewhere in business, maybe entrepreneurial like Branson, politics I could join a political party and finally possibly going to Sandhurst, if you don't know what Sandhurst is its officer school for the armed forces. Thank you for reading people and I appreciate you taking the time to read my question.
Instead of law, why not do business studies, economics or even maths
Reply 2
Original post by DauntlessOne
Hello everyone, I have a question to ask. Here's the situation I'm 17 years old (Soon to turn 18), I have been going to college now for nearly 2 years, since school finished back in 2014. And its getting to that time again when I have to decide what I want to do come September course wise. So far I have done the courses public services level 2 and a got a pass grade, I am currently doing Creative Media level 2 and I am predicted to get a merit quote distinction. However, I am still doing GCSE English because, by the laws that be say that you need to get a C grade minimum, as a lot of you I'm sure you know and can I just add there I am more then good at English, its just I have a tendency when answering a question to go off track a bit in my explanation, which I will correct in my GCSE English exam 7th May, third time lucky right?. I get the feeling that I am rather lacking in academic credentials, so this naturally made me both very concerned and very depressed. So I got the idea to improve my educational credentials by planning to take A-levels in September. I wanted to take A-levels immediately after secondary school, even in school but they wouldn't let me due to predictions, this new "system" they tried called "pathways" and poor attendance due to depression, bullying and jobsworth teachers personal vendettas, in a nutshell my old school was my personal Alcatraz. And I am now more determined then ever to give the finger to those who wronged me, the system, the teachers and of course the ********s that took all their personal ****ing pain out on me. Sorry for getting carried away there people, back to the question. I was thinking of choosing A-levels that compliment each other and these A-levels are what I had in mind; A-level History (I like History as a hobby anyway so I'm already set anywhere from Ancient Rome up to modern day), A-level Government & politics (I have always had an interest for politics since an early age), A-level Geography (Geographical locations just stick with me for some reason, I know all 50 US states off by heart, no idea how) and finally A-level Law (To compliment Government & politics of course). You guys are probably wondering what I want to do as a job? Well I was hoping somewhere in business, maybe entrepreneurial like Branson, politics I could join a political party and finally possibly going to Sandhurst, if you don't know what Sandhurst is its officer school for the armed forces. Thank you for reading people and I appreciate you taking the time to read my question.

genuinely love your attitude it takes serious motivation to keep trying with the english gcse till you get what you want!! if you want to do them, definitely go for it, but its not going to be a breeze at all. why are you going to take 4 a levels, especially ones which overlap greatly and are considered 'abstract' and not valued much (e.g. law).

if you would like to be involved in business you 100% need to show maths skills, why not try doing A level maths, its the easiest subject there is! you could teach yourself 3 modules in 6 months max!

of course though if you want to take these subjects because youre really interested then i encourage you to take them. but you might be disappointed because the courses might be different to how you anticipate, e.g. geography doesnt really require you to memorise where places are, its all about case studies, the science behind the formation of natural landmarks etc

good luck!
These are great replies guys! You have given me great insight to considering A-level maths! I'm defiantly interested in respected and smiled upon A-levels, as I don't want to waste time studying something overlooked. :smile:
Original post by dnr_23
genuinely love your attitude it takes serious motivation to keep trying with the english gcse till you get what you want!! if you want to do them, definitely go for it, but its not going to be a breeze at all. why are you going to take 4 a levels, especially ones which overlap greatly and are considered 'abstract' and not valued much (e.g. law).

if you would like to be involved in business you 100% need to show maths skills, why not try doing A level maths, its the easiest subject there is! you could teach yourself 3 modules in 6 months max!

of course though if you want to take these subjects because youre really interested then i encourage you to take them. but you might be disappointed because the courses might be different to how you anticipate, e.g. geography doesnt really require you to memorise where places are, its all about case studies, the science behind the formation of natural landmarks etc

good luck!

I'm not to familiar with the world of A-levels as it is, I definitely have to do some more research into the complications of specific A-levels; Do they overlap one another, overlooked aspect and difficulty.

Quick Reply

Latest