The Student Room Group

Is this racist?banker claims black people are just not clever

Scroll to see replies

Original post by george-90
Read my posts. I provided the evidence that Mathemagician requested, and I provided a rebuttal for WBZ's argument.

My posts have been more relevant that your irrational ad hominem attacks.

There's no excuse lol. AS maths is very simple.
Reply 81
Original post by physicsphysics91
IQ tests done by race show Asian > White > Black though.

How much your parents read to you as a small baby/child has a much higher impact on IQ score than anything else.

If you would control for all factors, there would be very little difference between races.
I accept that, but I never said anything to the contrary. I don't know why you think that I did. Read my comments and you'll find out why your argument is not relevant to me.

There is intellectual validity there, but none that is applicable to my points.

Well if you accept that then what is your point? Obviously only the smart bunch would apply for the investment banking positions so at what grounds can you make stark generalisations? You're essentially suggesting even the smartest wont be able to get the top jobs? As far as we can see, you're asserting the stereotypes and making horrible generalisations. That or you're not being coherent.
Original post by Shumaya
There's no excuse lol. AS maths is very simple.

You obviously haven't read the entire thread so I'll summarise.

I didn't like maths so decided to drop it and I skipped lessons to read philosophy and economics. I turned up for the exam, got an E, dropped it, then decided to apply for PPE, resat C1 and C2 and have likely got two 74/75 marks.
Reply 84
Yeah yeah. All that and you can't even comprehend how Black immigrants in the UK are the most uneducated and poorest of all major ethnic groups. Get a grasp of the context before bringing up irrelevancies like the Nigerian sub-group in the US.

Why is it irrelevant?

The fact that they are the poorest leads to them being the least educated.

That group in the US shows quite clearly that given equal chances, they are just as successful as other races...
Original post by TrueDetective01
Really? How so? :s-smilie:

I've noticed you're very prepared to accept racism and discrimination in society. Are you really happy to live in a society where there are ppl like that banker exist and uphold abhorrent beliefs, a society where we dont have equal opportunity and the elite jobs are exclusive to upper class only and largely discriminates against the poor and non whites?
It isn't racist. It has been proven to be objectively true that overall black people have lower IQs. However it would be wrong to assume a black person has low IQ before witnessing it oneself.

We all know smart black people and dumb white people, but that doesn't change the average across the board.
Original post by inhuman
Why is it irrelevant?

That group in the US shows quite clearly that given equal chances, they are just as successful as other races...

This. Ignore him, just have to accept there are bigots in society.
Reply 88
Did you read under what circumstances that E was achieved? It has nothing to do with intelligence. I was dropping maths so I simply turned up to the exam because I had to be there. Surely a smart person would be able to infer something so basic. Evidently you are not.

What she said is not relevant. She is talking about a tiny Nigerian minority in the USA, whereas the banker is talking about the typical black youth in the UK. Surely I'm smarter than both of you if you are unable to comprehend this.

Go on, try and out-reason me, no ad-hominem, simply rational argument. You're not going to be able to.

I could have turned up to the exam and still gotten an A* without any studying. GCSE maths is so easy if you are any intelligent.
Original post by lolatmaths
Well if you accept that then what is your point? Obviously only the smart bunch would apply for the investment banking positions so at what grounds can you make stark generalisations? You're essentially suggesting even the smartest wont be able to get the top jobs? As far as we can see, you're asserting the stereotypes and making horrible generalisations. That or you're not being coherent.

I made two main posts. In the first I provided the statistical data that Mathemagicien requested on IQ. I didn't give an opinion or make a point there. I went on to say that concluding that 'blacks are dumb' is bad science in a follow-up post.

In my second I made the point that the Nigerian sub-group in the US cannot be used to conclude that blacks in the UK are the most educated class.

That is all - at least before our exchange.
Original post by inhuman
Why is it irrelevant?

It is irrelevant because not all blacks in the UK are Nigerian.

Original post by inhuman

I accept that. I never made a point contrary to yours.
Original post by Jebedee
It isn't racist. It has been proven to be objectively true that overall black people have lower IQs. However it would be wrong to assume a black person has low IQ before witnessing it oneself.

We all know smart black people and dumb white people, but that doesn't change the average across the board.

What a load of rubbish. Look at the first page bigot, someone has already shown how wrong this is.
Original post by Mathemagicien
IQ is a poor measure of intelligence. The fact that IQ differs depending on which test is used proves this.

Where are your sources anyway? Most studies I have seen put Asians around 2-3 points ahead of Whites, and Whites 6-7 points ahead of Black people. Its not a significant difference, and much less significant than the effect of studying for the test beforehand.

While genetics obviously has a significant role to play, more significant roles are played by culture, education, and upbringing. Test result differences between the average middle class white and middle class black would, I assume, be a lot smaller, and probably even smaller between children of scientists of any race.

+1 :biggrin:

I think these IQ tests should be carried out on people who have exactly the same level opportunity. Maybe in a middle class environment. The results would be interesting to say the least.
I made two main posts. In the first I provided the statistical data that Mathemagicien requested on IQ. I didn't give an opinion or make a point there. I went on to say that concluding that 'blacks are dumb' is bad science in a follow-up post.

In my second I made the point that the Nigerian sub-group in the US cannot be used to conclude that blacks in the UK are the most educated class.

That is all - at least before our exchange.

Yes, im talking about our exchange. And dont bother with the strawman.
there is so much wrong with this post that I'm not going to even waste my time on it lol
Yes, im talking about our exchange. And dont bother with the strawman.

Our exchange wasn't about any points that I had made - as I have just explained. Really, it isn't relevant to the thread because it turns out you weren't responding to my points, other than with ad hominem attacks about my maths grade.
Original post by physicsphysics91
IQ tests done by race show Asian > White > Black though.

What the hell are you on about?
What a load of rubbish. Look at the first page bigot, someone has already shown how wrong this is.

Fine, you can replace IQ with average salary and come to exactly the same conclusion.
Our exchange wasn't about any points that I had made - as I have just explained. Really, it isn't relevant to the thread because it turns out you weren't responding to my points, other than with ad hominem attacks about my maths grade.

You've already accepted that you were wrong and that the comparison with nigerian immigrants in US was perfectly valid. However i've already pointed out what you said that was wrong, making silly generalisations etc. I dont think you're a racist, that said you should have been more coherent and not assert silly generalisations.
Original post by Konahagakure
What the hell are you on about?

The fact that East Asians score highest on IQ exams, whites come 2nd and blacks come last (at least out of the three races mentioned).

Quick Reply

Latest