The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Forensic Studies at BU

Hello ,

My name is Felise Martin and i have been given an offer by BU to study Forensic Science there. I am hoping to find students who intend to study , currently studying or have studied the Forensic courses at BU to gather as much information as i can before i start. Any information or thoughts such as facilities available, problems you may have faced, what people struggle with mostly in this course, or a general comment would be great to hear. Hopefully this will answer not just my questions but for others who intend to do this course also.

Thank so much !!!!! Felise

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Felisemartin
Hello ,

My name is Felise Martin and i have been given an offer by BU to study Forensic Science there. I am hoping to find students who intend to study , currently studying or have studied the Forensic courses at BU to gather as much information as i can before i start. Any information or thoughts such as facilities available, problems you may have faced, what people struggle with mostly in this course, or a general comment would be great to hear. Hopefully this will answer not just my questions but for others who intend to do this course also.

Thank so much !!!!! Felise

Hi Felise

My name is Amy and I am a third year archaeology student and ambassador at BU.

I am not sure about all of the facilities you will use as I do straight archaeology and not forensics, but I can tell you a little about our bone labs. We have some of the largest bone labs in the country, with a massive collection. You will get to work with real and fake remains, and will learn how to identify the various bones etc. The library is very good and open till 11pm generally, and there are plenty of books online in the ebook collection as well. The lecturers are very good and passionate so fingers crossed you will enjoy the lectures!

umm generally: really good. BU is great if you want a job in the degree you are studying. Lots of practical and hands on experience, and the crime lab is apparently awesome. I have a friend (also third year) doing forensic archaeology and they starting out in the crime labs working with "where a fire started" and more.

If you have any specific questions about BU I would love to help out (sorry I can't be more specific for your course!)

Amy
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Hello Amy ,

Thank you so much , you have helped a lot . I came to the applicant day and I loved the crime scene facility there so I am really looking forward to studying at BU so hopefully I can get the grades to get in ! Thanks again and good luck with the rest of your final year!

Felise

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Felise, i'm studing forensic science at bournemouth uni in september, i was just wondering is this your firm choice and if so where are you planning to stay?

Catriona
Hi Catriona ,

That's great you are the first person I have spoken to that is taking this course . BU is my firm choice and I thinking of selecting Cranbourne as my accommodation . What about you ?

Felise xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have it as my firm choice too and I'm thinking about Lyme Regis but I'm really not sure! There are too many to chose from. 😂 Do you live around the area?

Catriona xx
Haha I know there are lots of options I'm going to an open day in July just to look at the accommodation as I did not get to see all of them when I visited last time . I live no where near BU haha , I live just outside London in Watford so I am new to the Bournemouth location haha xx What about you , are you local ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
When is the opening day in July? I haven't been to see yet I'm just going on what the website is saying and what everyone else is saying on this about the university! I'm from Belfast in Northern Ireland so I'm no where near it and know no one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh wow yeah you are nowhere near . I'm going to the Saturday 2nd of July open day just to see the housing . It's a really great university the crime scene facilities are great and they are moving their location from Landsdowne campus to the Talbot campus where we will do all our lectures , so they have more space . And when we go in September the new science labs they have been building will be done so it's practically all brand new there ! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Honestly I'm glad to talk to someone who has been, it sounds like such a good course! It's honestly so scary, I'm glad I'll actually sort of know of someone! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah same , I literally don't know anyone that was doing this course so I'm so glad to talk to you . It's so scary to go on your own ! Are u planning to come to an open day then ? Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm considering it, my only problem is getting there! I could get a plane to London and then a train but I'm trying to see if there are any closer airports! I would love to be able to go and have a look around! At least when it comes to are first class we can worry less cause we'll actually know someone haha xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh yeah getting there must be a nightmare ! From where I live it's 40 minute train to London then 2 hours to Bournemouth station but that's nothing compared to how far you have to come . At least you would have seen the uni before going in September . Yeah that's true , I think half of the neves is not knowing anyone so at least we will ! X where are you currently studying now or just left ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is there a train that goes directly from London to Bournemouth? Are you bringing a parent along or friend or are you going down by yourself? I'm sitting my a-levels right now, so I finish next month! What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah there is a train that goes from my local station in Watford to another station called Clapham station then from there is a train straight to Bournemouth . I am going with my mum to see the housing as we will drive down there . Last time I went to the applicant day with a friend by train as I did not want to drive all that way haha. And yeah same I am doing a-levels also , what subjects are you taking ? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's good to know I'll be able to get a train straight down. I study business, ICT and Applied Science! What do you study? Do you have a Facebook and I can add you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh wow they are a great mix of subjects ! I study English literature and language , biology and art ! Yeah sure it's just Felise Martin ,!I'll try to find u are add you xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Catrionaflavelle
Is there a train that goes directly from London to Bournemouth? Are you bringing a parent along or friend or are you going down by yourself? I'm sitting my a-levels right now, so I finish next month! What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey Catriona,

My name is Steve and I'm an ambassador for BU here on TSR.

We do have an airport here in Bournemouth, but getting here from Belfast would mean a return price of £500, and you'd have to use Alicante as a transfer airport! :tongue:

Just to make you aware, the direct line from London into Bournemouth is Waterloo. If you can to Waterloo it doesn't involve any changes and it's a really easy ride.

It would be really good if you could get to an open day. The next days available are Saturday 11th June and Saturday 2nd July.

Steve Moss
Original post by SteveMBourneU
Hey Catriona,

My name is Steve and I'm an ambassador for BU here on TSR.

We do have an airport here in Bournemouth, but getting here from Belfast would mean a return price of £500, and you'd have to use Alicante as a transfer airport! :tongue:

Just to make you aware, the direct line from London into Bournemouth is Waterloo. If you can to Waterloo it doesn't involve any changes and it's a really easy ride.

It would be really good if you could get to an open day. The next days available are Saturday 11th June and Saturday 2nd July.

Steve Moss

Hi Steve,

I am actually having a lot of problems trying to find the train from waterloo to Bournemouth. I will be getting a plane to Gatwick so ill have to get the Gatwick express to Victoria station, do you know if it is easy to get from there to waterloo station?

Catriona
Original post by Felisemartin
Oh wow they are a great mix of subjects ! I study English literature and language , biology and art ! Yeah sure it's just Felise Martin ,!I'll try to find u are add you xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I Don't know how you do 4 subjects haha, I can barely deal with 3. I was looking at the accommodation again and i'm thinking of changing it up, lyme regis you have to pay a lot more than some of the other halls before hand. Though I really would like to go to the opening day and see them and meet up for a bit with you. xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending