The Student Room Group

Dream jobs ??

Scroll to see replies

I would be a pilot (JETS!!!)
Original post by Princepieman
Most people have 0 idea what traders do, I'd just ignore them..

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know exactly what they do. I just think it's stupid for him to dream of having a corporate job that's not helping anyone and which is going to be replaced by AI. The salary isn't even that good for traders at banks now
Ahaha, thay's the unfortunate reality of noncommercial research! I'm sure there are some well paid physics jobs out there, albeit the only ones that spring to mind are in oil and gas/mining.

Oh, because the US doesn't fully recognise the training undergone in the UK. They require most foreign docs to do a couple of years in what's equivalent to their 'residency' program to bring non-US docs up to speed with how medicine functions over there. I'm guessing it's all due to disparities between the NHS procedures and the private insurance driven procedures they have in the US. Not too versed in it all though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really fair compared to what the Americans get. :angry:

Oh makes sense thanks.
RAF Pilot but I'm not pursuing it
Disneyland imagineer
President of Nigeria
Original post by IXxi HIIDA ixXI
Colonel and Brigadier are field officer ranks.
Isn't Captain the highest non-field officer rank?

Yes, but it's best not to think of them in terms of Company and Field Officer ranks - especially when referring to the RAMC which is a non-combat unit. It's more descriptive to think of them as Junior and Senior Officer ranks. Captain is the highest Junior Officer rank. But a doctor with a lot of experience should expect to be able to reach the higher Senior Officer ranks
Original post by squish562
I know exactly what they do. I just think it's stupid for him to dream of having a corporate job that's not helping anyone and which is going to be replaced by AI. The salary isn't even that good for traders at banks now

Oh, what do traders do? Why do they exist? If they weren't helping anyone they wouldn't exist, it doesn't matter whether you think it's 'corporate therefore bad'.

Literally most jobs don't help 'everyone', they help their customers or clients. Whether you're a drug dealer, stripper, model, banker, doctor, accountant - it's all the same spiel.
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh, what do traders do? Why do they exist? If they weren't helping anyone they wouldn't exist, it doesn't matter whether you think it's 'corporate therefore bad'.

Literally most jobs don't help 'everyone', they help their customers or clients. Whether you're a drug dealer, stripper, model, banker, doctor, accountant - it's all the same spiel.

I was just saying that it wasn't the most ambitious dream he could have. There's no denying that other jobs like a scientist or a doctor or an engineer will be more fulfilling and also future-proof- something he needs to consider
I was just saying that it wasn't the most ambitious dream he could have. There's no denying that other jobs like a scientist or a doctor or an engineer will be more fulfilling and also future-proof- something he needs to consider

Oh? Is that why doctors are found to commit suicide at a higher rate than most other professions? No field is perfectly 'fulfilling', that's a fallacy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's no denying that other jobs like a scientist or a doctor or an engineer will be more fulfilling and also future-proof- something he needs to consider

Haha, if you think being a doctor is fulfilling maybe you should speak to one of us to find out how we really feel :wink: or watch/read the news...

As for being future-proof... I dunno. I kinda feel like technological advancements will mean that we'll become redundant fairly quickly actually. Nanobots will maintain the body in perfect health, and then any significant injuries will be dealt with by simply replacing body parts with personalised 3D-printed spares, with the surgical procedure carried out by a robot. You'll have very little use for us in a few decades

I'm learning how to code and I'm planning on doing a highly mathematical degree (maths with econ, maybe straight maths) so my skills could still be valuable in a trading career- I could always opt to do some further study and move into quant work if it gets really bad.

I think my work is still fulfilling- I'll be providing a service and learning a whole lot about finance. I will donate some of my salary to charity and looking to make some sort of contribution to the financial world as well (maybe a new model for pricing derivs, who knows?) but my main focus isn't saving the world- it's doing something I enjoy and making money at the same time,

Yeah I get that trading salaries aren't as good anymore but it's still pretty good (potential for £100000 after a few years)
Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy
Haha, if you think being a doctor is fulfilling maybe you should speak to one of us to find out how we really feel :wink: or watch/read the news...

As for being future-proof... I dunno. I kinda feel like technological advancements will mean that we'll become redundant fairly quickly actually. Nanobots will maintain the body in perfect health, and then any significant injuries will be dealt with by simply replacing body parts with personalised 3D-printed spares, with the surgical procedure carried out by a robot. You'll have very little use for us in a few decades

Lol don't worry- you're not getting replaced. Maybe some of the more simple surgery could be done but they'll always need doctors lol

Just for example, I tried using webmd and listed my symptoms (floaters in my eye) and it said that I was turning blind- doctor said that I was just getting too little sleep
Original post by Trapz99
I'm learning how to code and I'm planning on doing a highly mathematical degree (maths with econ, maybe straight maths) so my skills could still be valuable in a trading career- I could always opt to do some further study and move into quant work if it gets really bad.

I think my work is still fulfilling- I'll be providing a service and learning a whole lot about finance. I will donate some of my salary to charity and looking to make some sort of contribution to the financial world as well (maybe a new model for pricing derivs, who knows?) but my main focus isn't saving the world- it's doing something I enjoy and making money at the same time,

Yeah I get that trading salaries aren't as good anymore but it's still pretty good (potential for £100000 after a few years)

Either way, trading jobs aren't the best thing to be aiming for right now. Do what you want though- just don't blame anyone if you lose your job.

(maths with econ ain't going to cut it if you want to get into quant roles, btw)
Original post by Trapz99

As a fake doctor on Brazzers my work will be far more fulfilling than yours so ha.
Oh? Is that why doctors are found to commit suicide at a higher rate than most other professions? No field is perfectly 'fulfilling', that's a fallacy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

All right, Didn't know that.
Original post by lolatmaths
As a fake doctor on Brazzers my work will be far more fulfilling than yours so ha.

LOL
Reply 76
Original post by cashcash871
"Greed is the source of all problems" just remember that

Greed is good
Original post by Gaya Ramanathan
Child Psychology and currently doing Maths/Psychology/Sociology A-Levrls. You?

Nice stuff girl !!! :smile: keep it up
I am doing chem bio maths and urdu A levels
Aspiring Cardiovascular surgeon right here :tongue:
Uni lecturer.

(I wish :cry::moon:)
Original post by Legendary Quest
A Queen :cool:

AWW nice stuff I hope you do ONE DAY !!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending