The Student Room Group

Arts Vs Academic

What do you think about 'creative' subjects. Are they valued more than 'Academic' subjects. is that fair?
Oh dear. Prepare yourself. You just invited an influx of arguments.
STEM Masterlords incoming
I think it's a bad idea to pit them against eachother. It's clear to me that the government favours academic subjects and there's a clear need to see the creative ones survive, but viewing them as fundamentally opposed isn't in any way useful- it just makes the students who wish to be more creative, in particular, have a much harsher time in education.

From my experience I see that society is demanding those who do science and technology much more than they do the artsy people, but both are necessary for a stable society and in many ways they can compliment eachother- for example in architecture. It's important that we allow platforms for both sides of education and that we don't favour one over the other or stop offering the chance to study subjects from either side, thereby limiting the freedom of students.

'Arts vs. Academia' is the issue. Why do we have to assume that one is better than the other? Why not allow students of all kinds to perfect their talents in whatever chosen subject they like? In doing so we'll creat a generation of far happier people who haven't had to suffer discriminatory education
Reply 4
I think there are a few conflicting views on this debate. I believe there's a certain stigma about 'creative' subjects. Some people seem to view them as an easy way out kind of thing. Like I'll tell some friends what I'm doing in a drama lesson (performing, rehearsing etc.) and I'm usually greeted with phrases like 'I'd much rather be doing that!' and 'Wow, Drama sounds so chilled out! I wish I'd taken that instead of Philosophy! Next, as enjoyable as creative subjects are, I think they can present a rather dangerous atmosphere in several ways. First, the classes are often a LOT more judgemental due to the sheer nature of what the subjects are. Judging performances in drama, judging drawings in Art etc. This can be constructive and a helpful critique for future improvement, but often times it can stray into being off putting and disheartening. The other element of risk in taking these subjects as that all the careers these subjects lead to are rather exclusive and hard to make a living in. Therefore, more academic subjects, such as Science, Maths etc. are comparatively easier than becoming the next Di Caprio or Van Gough.

In conclusion, I believe everyone should partake in at least one creative subject or more should they wish, but I think this should always be backed up by a few academic subjects too. Academic knowledge is integral to gaining jobs etc. Creative subjects? Not so essential unless you're absolutely sure you're going for a career in that particular creative subject. I'd say that creative subjects are a useful asset, as they provide a decent backup plan should more academic pursuits go awry, however, taking them as subjects may no be essential as there are plenty of out of hours means of gaining knowledge of creative subjects (drama clubs, writing classes etc.). If one plans on pursuing creative subjects then an unbreakable will and a thick skin is essential.
Original post by sianne4c
What do you think about 'creative' subjects. Are they valued more than 'Academic' subjects. is that fair?

I am personally bias towards science and logic, so are most. Being said, someone was always going to discover Einstein's theories not anyone could paint the Monalisa. Arts are terribly undervalued by most, myself included.
Reply 6
Original post by Maryljames
I think it's a bad idea to pit them against eachother. It's clear to me that the government favours academic subjects and there's a clear need to see the creative ones survive, but viewing them as fundamentally opposed isn't in any way useful- it just makes the students who wish to be more creative, in particular, have a much harsher time in education.

From my experience I see that society is demanding those who do science and technology much more than they do the artsy people, but both are necessary for a stable society and in many ways they can compliment eachother- for example in architecture. It's important that we allow platforms for both sides of education and that we don't favour one over the other or stop offering the chance to study subjects from either side, thereby limiting the freedom of students.

'Arts vs. Academia' is the issue. Why do we have to assume that one is better than the other? Why not allow students of all kinds to perfect their talents in whatever chosen subject they like? In doing so we'll creat a generation of far happier people who haven't had to suffer discriminatory education

Thank you for your feedback I have to say that I completely agree with what you have said however needed to have both sides of the argument to come to a full understanding of what society thinks. Your views should be shared by all but unfortunately they're not. Thanks again
Reply 7
Original post by Mathemagicien
Einstein's theories are valued a lot more than the Mona Lisa. Someone would have discovered them eventually, but how many decades later? Every decade later pushes back scientific and technological progress. It would also have exacerbated global warming, by pushing back nuclear power stations. We could also have seen a World War III, if it weren't for nuclear weapons developing as early as they did (although Einstein had only a limited role in indirectly advancing nuclear weapons).

So overall academic subjects are valued more as they help society greater ? Thanks for adding to the debate
Reminds me of this:
27f7e300359a464ad8ed4b58792b3eee.jpg

But to be honest, the general population know that they'll gain very little if they were to pursue the arts. Looking at the top actors and actresses of the country, people do get the impression that going into drama and being a success within it is reserved for the wealthy elite.

On the other hand, with academic subjects, someone can work hard in school, get top grades, go to a top uni and open doors to decent salaries and careers. It does seem like a much easier route to get further in life :redface:
Original post by Mathemagicien
Depends on who we're talking about. The general population probably values science higher than creative subjects, but the younger generation probably values music more than science, if not the other creative subjects. The sciences are definitely more valued by employers in general, of course. The creative subjects are valued more in religious circles.

Lol reminds me of my 12 year old self:

'Music is the only reason I'm alive. I wanna be like Tulisa from N-Dubz'
Reply 10
Original post by sianne4c

I personally see creative subjects as hobbies
Reply 11
This is an argument someone put forward what do you think about it :

In the beginning I thought that the arts was being heavily undermined and that more and more young people were being pushed away from ‘artsy’ subjects and pushed more towards subjects deemed as being more academic. Whilst I still hold this view I have gained a better understanding of why the people I have encountered think and feel this way and what is being done to change it. Research into other people’s views has shown me that most people think the same, that the Arts is important but society doesn’t deem it so. Whilst this seemed paradoxical at first, as the majority of the people I spoke to had a positive attitude towards the arts and that majority makes up society, therefore society should then have a positive outlook on the Arts, after further talks with students and adults it became clear that the younger generations value the Arts more so than the older generations do. Whilst my views on some art subjects have slightly changed, for example I now believe Art is slightly easier if the individual has natural talent and is naturally creative. However I still believe the arts should be valued in the same way that academic subjects are especially considering both require hard work and skill if not the Arts requires more hard work as the student is forced to actively challenge themselves. In Science or Math the student is asked to remember formulas and regurgitate facts and figures, whilst this is also difficult, I feel we as a society shouldn’t be able to discriminate against certain subjects, when not everyone in society understands or is aware of how hard those subjects are. All subjects should be looked at with equal weight.One of the key reasons, I have come to understand, as to why schools within my local area and adults within my local area value more academic subjects is because there is a push for schools to do well on government league tables. My secondary school, the Oxford Academy, focused largely on well achieving academic students who they thought could boost up the school's average whilst students taking less ‘academic subjects were given less attention. Other people I have spoken to have pointed out that, this is how society works however it is clear if the arts continue to be undervalued like they are, and cuts continue to be made, the arts will cease to exist and an unimaginative, drone ike society is all that will be left. It is not fair to value certain subjects over other subjects, nor is it fair to deem certain subjects ‘soft’ just because they don’t entail the ‘practical’ work that people falsely believe other subjects do.
Every subject is quite useful. Every career is important. The world needs doctors & nurses? Of course . But what about garbage men or janitors? What if they don't exist? Who will look after the maintenance & cleaning?

1464813100963.jpg

1464813122777.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending