The Student Room Group

travel insurance - how and where

going to spain for the first time this year, how do i get travel insurance and where do i get it from?
theres 4 of us that needs insurance

thanks
Any insurance comparison site.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by DiddyDec
Any insurance comparison site.

Posted from TSR Mobile

will the prices given be based on one person? as i put in all of us, but it came up with one price
Original post by shawtyb
will the prices given be based on one person? as i put in all of us, but it came up with one price

One price for everyone because it is only one policy.
Reply 4
One price for everyone because it is only one policy.

why so cheap?!
Original post by shawtyb
why so cheap?!

Because travel insurance is cheap. I don't pay much more than £10 for extreme sports cover.
Reply 6
Because travel insurance is cheap. I don't pay much more than £10 for extreme sports cover.

oh ok :smile: i expected insurance to be loads, just prove how much i travel lol
Your bank may also do it. I got mine through the post office.
Reply 8
Original post by Tiger Rag
Your bank may also do it. I got mine through the post office.

oh yea forgot about them!
my bf has it with his bank and as his the one paying it, will his travel insurance cover us all?
Original post by shawtyb
oh yea forgot about them!
my bf has it with his bank and as his the one paying it, will his travel insurance cover us all?

No. It's per person. You all have to buy your own insurance.
Reply 10
No. It's per person. You all have to buy your own insurance.

see thats what i told but he was insistant that as his paying for the holiday, it would cover everyone
Original post by shawtyb
see thats what i told but he was insistant that as his paying for the holiday, it would cover everyone

He needs to check his travel insurance. It will only cover the person named on the documents.
Reply 12
He needs to check his travel insurance. It will only cover the person named on the documents.

which would only be him, glad i got my own quote now :wink:
You cna get a group policy to cover everyone or buy one just for selected people. the group policy should work out cheaper.
You get what you pay for. You will need to do some research.
Your bank account might have a package attached.

This is an ok summary of the things to look for including repatriation and if you ware doing sprts, then get sports cover.
http://www.moneysupermarket.com/travel-insurance/destinations/spain/

You should all, also take your European health Insurace card (EHIC) card for free emergency treatment.

Famous names Aviva, Direct Line, Post Office, Columbus and of course for Students STA travel. If you will be making sveral trips in a year then a multi trip policy will work out cheaper by far.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/cheap-travel-insurance#indwinter

They do suggest these people who are alarmingly cheap, but havent done any research on feedback, so you have to go with the idea that MSE wouldnt recommend them unless theye were kosher.

https://uk.protectyourbubble.com/travel-insurance.html?agg30=PRIME&promocode=MSE15&utm_source=PRIME&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=standard
(edited 7 years ago)
I used the post office and had no problems with them. Also, I'd personally pay slightly more and go for a company I've heard of, rather than the first one that comes up in your search.
Reply 15
Original post by 999tigger
You cna get a group policy to cover everyone or buy one just for selected people. the group policy should work out cheaper.
You get what you pay for. You will need to do some research.
Your bank account might have a package attached.

This is an ok summary of the things to look for including repatriation and if you ware doing sprts, then get sports cover.
http://www.moneysupermarket.com/travel-insurance/destinations/spain/

You should all, also take your European health Insurace card (EHIC) card for free emergency treatment.

Famous names Aviva, Direct Line, Post Office, Columbus and of course for Students STA travel. If you will be making sveral trips in a year then a multi trip policy will work out cheaper by far.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/cheap-travel-insurance#indwinter

They do suggest these people who are alarmingly cheap, but havent done any research on feedback, so you have to go with the idea that MSE wouldnt recommend them unless theye were kosher.

https://uk.protectyourbubble.com/travel-insurance.html?agg30=PRIME&promocode=MSE15&utm_source=PRIME&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=standard

We all have our EHIC cards so thats ok, il look at the comparer now, thanks :smile:

I used the post office and had no problems with them. Also, I'd personally pay slightly more and go for a company I've heard of, rather than the first one that comes up in your search.

i'll check with the post office when im in there next, thankyou :smile: actually il look online haha
Original post by shawtyb
going to spain for the first time this year, how do i get travel insurance and where do i get it from?
theres 4 of us that needs insurance

thanks

Sorry just seen this. My Mum works in insurance and suggested the Post Office. It is really good. I always use them. In fact I am living abroad and I got a whole year for £136.

You can fill the form in online and print all the revelant information. They cover lots of things such as up to £300 on lost or stolen items. Plus up to £1million in medical insurance. I have claimed twice on 2 stolen phones and they were really helpful. Would definitely recommend them.
Reply 17
Original post by Sportycb
Sorry just seen this. My Mum works in insurance and suggested the Post Office. It is really good. I always use them. In fact I am living abroad and I got a whole year for £136.

You can fill the form in online and print all the revelant information. They cover lots of things such as up to £300 on lost or stolen items. Plus up to £1million in medical insurance. I have claimed twice on 2 stolen phones and they were really helpful. Would definitely recommend them.

that is so good!! wow thats cheap!!
if your mum works in insurance and suggests the post office then il defo choose that :smile: a few others said the same. thank your mum for me please :smile:
i dont plan on racking up a 1mil bill haha!
Original post by shawtyb
that is so good!! wow thats cheap!!
if your mum works in insurance and suggests the post office then il defo choose that :smile: a few others said the same. thank your mum for me please :smile:
i dont plan on racking up a 1mil bill haha!

They do special discounts for long periods of time. When I went on holiday to Holland, Sweden and Portugal with friends I found that within Europe it will be about £20-30 for a week or two. Seeing how much I have claimed it is worth it.

Do make sure you do it more than 24 hours before your flight as if I remember rightly it takes that long to kick in should we say. If you do it more than 24 hours in advance they will cover any problems with your outbound flight such as cancellations or severe delays.

Check out their website and see what is covered. I would stick to the 'Super Economy' as even with that you get up to £2 million in medical insurance, £1000 in cancelled flights, £1000 in lost baggage, £1000 for additional accommodation (due to delays), £1000 if you cancel your trip if delayed for more than 24hours, plus more. They claim to have won multiple awards for best travel insurance.
Reply 19
Original post by Sportycb
They do special discounts for long periods of time. When I went on holiday to Holland, Sweden and Portugal with friends I found that within Europe it will be about £20-30 for a week or two. Seeing how much I have claimed it is worth it.

Do make sure you do it more than 24 hours before your flight as if I remember rightly it takes that long to kick in should we say. If you do it more than 24 hours in advance they will cover any problems with your outbound flight such as cancellations or severe delays.

Check out their website and see what is covered. I would stick to the 'Super Economy' as even with that you get up to £2 million in medical insurance, £1000 in cancelled flights, £1000 in lost baggage, £1000 for additional accommodation (due to delays), £1000 if you cancel your trip if delayed for more than 24hours, plus more. They claim to have won multiple awards for best travel insurance.

ok great thanks :smile:
i plan on doing it asap

Quick Reply

Latest