The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Blue_Mason
Why do people smoke?

Lots of reasons, peer pressure, interest, family/freinds smoke and then then people get addicted
Original post by ajsmith171
As the title suggests, as a smoker, ask me anything...

How much do you spend on cigarettes in a year?
Reply 62
Original post by may_1
you excited for lung cancer

Not really, hopefully I don't get it
Is a quick fix of nicotine really worth reducing your life for? Throat cancer? Lung cancer? Heart disease? I know a woman who had been smoking for 40+ years and had to have her leg amputated due to clotting of her blood from smoking. When your young you dont realise the consequences. Quit now while you can!!
With Silk Cut smooth you can choose long ones or short ones which ones are better or is there no difference? x
Reply 65
Original post by Captain Jack
How much do you spend on cigarettes in a year?

Well I spend about £10 on a 25g of Golden Virginia which makes me about 45 cigarettes which lasts me about a week, so thats about £520 a year on that. Filter tips are about £1 for 120 which lasts about three weeks and so it costs about £17 a year and then 50 rizla's are about 30p which is about £15 a year. In total about £550 a year. I find it much cheeper then factory made cigarettes.
Reply 66
Original post by Ellah857
Is a quick fix of nicotine really worth reducing your life for? Throat cancer? Lung cancer? Heart disease? I know a woman who had been smoking for 40+ years and had to have her leg amputated due to clotting of her blood from smoking. When your young you dont realise the consequences. Quit now while you can!!

I'm not a heavy smoker and I am slowly cutting down. The person you described had been smoking for 40+ years, and how many cigarettes did she smoke a day?
Reply 67
Original post by abc_123_
With Silk Cut smooth you can choose long ones or short ones which ones are better or is there no difference? x

I've only smoked Silk Cut purple, which even then was only a couple of packs as I found them pretty tasteless and I didn't really get a buzz so I don't really know much about silk cut.
I've only smoked Silk Cut purple, which even then was only a couple of packs as I found them pretty tasteless and I didn't really get a buzz so I don't really know much about silk cut.

Can you get flavoured tobacco like you can get flavoured shisha?
Reply 69
Original post by abc_123_
Can you get flavoured tobacco like you can get flavoured shisha?

You can get it, but I've never tried it
Honest question, not trying to be aggressive or anything :smile: Why do you continue to smoke despite all of the research showing it's incredibly dangerous for your health?
I'm not a heavy smoker and I am slowly cutting down. The person you described had been smoking for 40+ years, and how many cigarettes did she smoke a day?

Im sure when she started at 17 she never expected to still be smoking at 65 with an amputated leg :/
Reply 72
Original post by Inexorably
Honest question, not trying to be aggressive or anything :smile: Why do you continue to smoke despite all of the research showing it's incredibly dangerous for your health?

I don't question any of the research, I know any number of cigarettes isn't good for your health but I only smoke 5 or 6 a day and the majority of people with impacts from smoking smoke 40 a day and have done for 40 plus years. I am slowly cutting down and I do hope to stop
when r u going to give up?
do you regret starting?
Reply 75
Original post by Ellah857
Im sure when she started at 17 she never expected to still be smoking at 65 with an amputated leg :/

I'm really sorry about the person you mentioned. Yeah, the big problem is the addiction that comes with smoking and it can gef out of hand. I've been smoking for a couple of years now and I have managed to keep it pretty consistant at about 6 a day, and if anything I've cut down and I will continue to cut down in the future
I don't question any of the research, I know any number of cigarettes isn't good for your health but I only smoke 5 or 6 a day and the majority of people with impacts from smoking smoke 40 a day and have done for 40 plus years. I am slowly cutting down and I do hope to stop

Ah I see, I'm glad you're cutting down - it's for the best :smile:
Reply 77
Original post by john2054
when r u going to give up?

Probably within the next 2 years or so. As i've been doing I will cut down with the hope of cutting down to about 4 a day by the end of this year and then eventually stopping. It will be a gradual process
Probably within the next 2 years or so. As i've been doing I will cut down with the hope of cutting down to about 4 a day by the end of this year and then eventually stopping. It will be a gradual process

nice isn't it? and do you know the best way to stop? (cold turkey)!!
Reply 79
Original post by New- Emperor
do you regret starting?

In many ways, yes I do because if I hadn't I would have saved a whole lot of money, saved my health and I wouldn't have to think about having to go through the process of quiting. But, on the other hand, I do quite enjoy it and the fix, I find it quite relaxing and I like the social aspect of smoking. In a strange sort of way I feel that it sort of made be closer with some of my mates who smoke or used to smoke. So it's 50/50 really

Latest