The Student Room Group

Myth-Busting Mondays: How many marriages end in divorce in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tiger Rag
If people weren't allowed to get divorced, I wouldn't be here now. Both sets of parents parents were divorced and both moved and remarried.

It's also unfair on children for them to be stuck in a home where both parents are constantly fighting and generally unhappy, no?

this doesn't make any sense i'm afraid. you only have one 'set' of parents, and not two?!?
Original post by Helenia
I honestly don't think people "rushing" into marriage is the major cause of the high divorce rate. Compared with previous generations, couples these days tend to have been together considerably longer AND be more likely to have cohabited prior to marriage, both of which should help! "Shotgun" marriages are also much rarer as having children outside of marriage is no longer something to be ashamed of. I was one of the quickest to get married in my group of friends; we got engaged after 3.5 years and married after 4.5 years together, having been living together for just over 2 years by that time.

I think the factors causing an increased divorce rate are many and varied. Off the top of my head, a few ideas are: -

Divorce is no longer stigmatised as it once was, so people are less afraid of being judged by society for splitting up.

Women have more rights and independence than they ever used to, so are both less likely to settle for poor treatment/being unhappy and know that they will be supported if they do leave. We have our own careers and aren't so afraid of being left with no money and no skills in the event of divorce.

Society as a whole has changed from the "stiff upper lip" mentality of the early 20th century, so people won't just tolerate a bad situation but will do something to try to change it.

The country has become less religious overall, so the pressure from the Church in favour of staying married is less.

People have become more educated and more mobile, so are more likely to meet more different people and experience different ways of life than before, which both opens our eyes to life and people outside our local community (allowing you to realise that certain "norms" really aren't ok!) and makes cheating easier.

Likewise, technology makes it easier to cheat.

I have actually known lots of men, from friends to taxi drivers, who have been used by their other half, for a visa in the the country, and then as an easy meal ticket on behalf of her majesty's government. All the woman has to do is cry 'abuse', and she is sorted for life!??
Original post by john2054
this doesn't make any sense i'm afraid. you only have one 'set' of parents, and not two?!?

Obviously you didn't read what I wrote. Both sets of parents parents, meaning both grandparents split up.
Obviously you didn't read what I wrote. Both sets of parents parents, meaning both grandparents split up.

you should have written both sets of parent's parents. =bad grammar
Original post by john2054
you should have written both sets of parent's parents. =bad grammar

:s-smilie: I did
Original post by BurstingBubbles
The stats on this are quite varied, however going by the Office for National Statitics by the government, the stat is 42%. I'm aware some sources say about half do, so you can have a point if you said 48% too :wink:

Why do so many marriages breakdown? Should people wait longer to get married or try harder before getting a divorce?

Relationships inevitably break down. Emotions change, circumstances change. People get married because they are naive enough to think how they feel in that period will remain consistent for eternity.
:s-smilie: I did

You were missing an apostrophe.
Original post by Supersaps
How's knocking down those straw men going for you? ^^

Perhaps you should audition for a spot as a flying monkey in the Wizard of Oz?

I was literally just replying to your points. But at least now I know you understand how stupid you sounded with that ridiculous reply. Especially with that stupid 50% statistic
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending