The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ajsmith171
As the title suggests, as a smoker, ask me anything...

How do you feel about the EU banning menthol cigarettes from 2020?

I only smoke when i am golfing or having a night out and i like the smokes with the little menthol burst jewel in them. Have you tried them? Great stuff
Reply 81
Original post by john2054
nice isn't it? and do you know the best way to stop? (cold turkey)!!

I've heard that before, but my gradual withdrawal is working fine for me at the moment. If it doesn't work, I'll try that. Are you a smoker or former smoker?
Reply 82
Original post by Betelgeuse-
How do you feel about the EU banning menthol cigarettes from 2020?

I only smoke when i am golfing or having a night out and i like the smokes with the little menthol burst jewel in them. Have you tried them? Great stuff

I sort of quite like thes EU in general but I'm pretty pissed off of about the fact they are banning them from 2020. Yeah they're nice for a change from normal cigarettes and I smoke them every once in a while but not too often. Still annoyed that they will be going though. Will you change to normal cigs or just stop?
I've heard that before, but my gradual withdrawal is working fine for me at the moment. If it doesn't work, I'll try that. Are you a smoker or former smoker?

former smoker for five years. that's the problem with fags, it is so nice to have just one, more, but then you can't stop. trust me cold turkey is the best way to give up. and once you stop, don't look back!
I sort of quite like thes EU in general but I'm pretty pissed off of about the fact they are banning them from 2020. Yeah they're nice for a change from normal cigarettes and I smoke them every once in a while but not too often. Still annoyed that they will be going though. Will you change to normal cigs or just stop?

I vape so it wont impact me too much, i suspect i will just buy normal cigarettes for golfing or find a way not to crush my ecig when playing lol.

The problem is they are bringing in a lot of damaging regulations for vaping aswell as increasing the prices dramatically :frown: :frown:

Have you tried vaping? Can be a bit of learning at the beginning and a bit of trial and error in finding the right flavour and strenght eliquid but it really is great. (Especially if your loved ones are sick of the smell)
Reply 85
I vape so it wont impact me too much, i suspect i will just buy normal cigarettes for golfing or find a way not to crush my ecig when playing lol.

The problem is they are bringing in a lot of damaging regulations for vaping aswell as increasing the prices dramatically :frown: :frown:

Have you tried vaping? Can be a bit of learning at the beginning and a bit of trial and error in finding the right flavour and strenght eliquid but it really is great. (Especially if your loved ones are sick of the smell)

No, but it's supposed to be better (health wise) then smoking I think. Do they not smell as much as cigs?
No, but it's supposed to be better (health wise) then smoking I think. Do they not smell as much as cigs?

It undoubtedly is. Its cheaper, healthier, and has little smell. If there is any smell it is pleasant (Most of my eliquids are fruity like berry cherry / berry) so it is pleasant.
Reply 87
It undoubtedly is. Its cheaper, healthier, and has little smell. If there is any smell it is pleasant (Most of my eliquids are fruity like berry cherry / berry) so it is pleasant.

Yeah, I should try it. I don't like feeling that I smell of smoke much
Do you feel guilty smoking outside and slowly killing others who passively smoke?
Original post by lolatmaths
Do you feel guilty smoking outside and slowly killing others who passively smoke?

About as guilty as you feel firing up your cars engine :smile:
Reply 90

No, because I try to be considerate and don't smoke around non smokers. Even though I smoke, I accept that non smokers don't want to have to breathe in my smoke.
About as guilty as you feel firing up your cars engine :smile:

Well no because cars are fitted with a catalytic converter so smoking is much more harmful than engine fumes.
No, because I try to be considerate and don't smoke around non smokers. Even though I smoke, I accept that non smokers don't want to have to breathe in my smoke.

Ah right, well that's good but i wish all smokers (including my father) are more considerate like that.
Have you ever thought of quitting?
Well no because cars are fitted with a catalytic converter so smoking is much more harmful than engine fumes.

Doesnt matter what is more harmful, both are a selfish choice that negatively damages other people.

Source for passive smoke outdoors being more harmful to people than exhaust emissions?
Reply 95
Have you ever thought of quitting?

Yes, I hope to
As the title suggests, as a smoker, ask me anything...

3rd question.

How does it affect you financially?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 97
Original post by Impressive
3rd question.How does it affect you financially?Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I spend about £10 on a 25g of Golden Virginia which makes me about 45 cigarettes which lasts me about a week, so thats about £520 a year on that. Filter tips are about £1 for 120 which lasts about three weeks and so it costs about £17 a year and then 50 rizla's are about 30p which is about £15 a year. In total about £550 a year. I find it much cheeper then factory made cigarettes.

It cost me about £550 a year
Doesnt matter what is more harmful, both are a selfish choice that negatively damages other people.

Source for passive smoke outdoors being more harmful to people than exhaust emissions?

Not necessarily, for starters there's more toxins from cigarettes, plus the release of CO from cigarettes and all other things. Whilst both have an effect, car smoke only affects the asthmatic whereas cigarettes affect everyone and has a much more damaging effect.

Gcse biology.
My parents told me that they both used to smoke,
but they said they stopped when they wanted kids.

I remember from a young age seeing a baccy tin in my dads car and asking him about it,
and he dismissed it as something he used for work, which I obviously took in.

More recently I've kinda realised being a clock-fixer doesn't require a baccy tin, that he still has,
with zigzags in his drawer, does this mean he still smokes? A part of me thinks it's just cannabis as
I knew he used to a long time ago and recently he got arthritis and has been under lots of stress..?

Latest