The Student Room Group

Is a pedophile who doesn't act on their urges evil in your opinion.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wahrheit
Imagine if you found out a friend was a paedophile but they didn't do anything about it at all then you'd still see them differently, but no it doesn't make them evil.

I'm no psychiatrist, but paedophilia has got to fall under the umbrella of either mental health disorder, unfortunate fetish, or sexual orientation, none of which are a choice. Evil is defined by the choices we make, so somebody has the urge to do an "evil" thing but doesn't act on it then they're not evil. It's kind of like every person alive has imagined killing another, yet the vast majority of us don't do it.

But no, I wouldn't see them as a monster. I would feel very sorry for them, though.

Whats wrong with killing people?
Original post by Screwsocietyy
They still think about it though.

And? Having errant thoughts does not an evil person make.
Original post by Hydeman
And? Free societies do not criminalise thought.

And its evil.
If they're denying their sexual urges for other peoples wellbeing then they are the opposite of evil since they are worrying about others and society
And its evil.

It's a non sequitur, more like. Having thoughts that do not meet some external standard does not merit the label 'evil.'
Whats wrong with killing people?

Decreases quality of life for society by creating disharmony and fear.
Original post by melhoneybee17
If they're denying their sexual urges for other peoples wellbeing then they are the opposite of evil since they are worrying about others and society

so you a pedophile supporter?
Original post by Hydeman
It's a non sequitur, more like. Having thoughts that do not meet some external standard does not merit the label 'evil.'

yes it does.
yes it does.

Saying it repeatedly won't make it true. :rolleyes:
Just answer the question you dumbass

and what grounds do you have to call me a dumbass
Reply 30
If they resist, they're probably good people, if anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Evil is not a term I often use. It reeks of religion. I think it's admirable they possess the restraint to not act upon their desires.

I don't judge people for thoughts or desires that are our of their control. At the end of the day it's actions (and inaction) that matters.
Reply 32
I wouldn't see them as evil - it's not their fault at all so I'd feel sorry for them. I'd expect them to get some kind of psychiatric help though because pedophilia I assume would be some kind of mental disorder.
There will be a lot people who are sexually attracted to children but they will never act on it and harm a child. If you knew someone thought this way would you see them as a monster?

I wouldn't.
Original post by Izzebie
... pedophilia I assume would be some kind of mental disorder.

It is, yeah :yep:

Unfortunately it's not something that can be 'cured' as such, so treatment generally focusses on helping them to prevent themselves acting on their desires. I've read numerous times that it would be as impossible as trying to 'cure' homosexuality.
There will be a lot people who are sexually attracted to children but they will never act on it and harm a child. If you knew someone thought this way would you see them as a monster?

If they never act on it, they're not a peadophile.

Like if I dream about murdering everyone around me but never act on it, am I a murderer?.....of course not.
Reply 36
No. But evil isn't a well-defined term anyway.
No.
Original post by Nidhoggr
If they never act on it, they're not a peadophile.

Like if I dream about murdering everyone around me but never act on it, am I a murderer?.....of course not.

A pedophile is someone sexually attracted to children.
I do not understand paedophillia. Is it a mental illness? A fetish?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending