The Student Room Group

Is a pedophile who doesn't act on their urges evil in your opinion.

Scroll to see replies

Evil is what a religious fanatic uses.

No, they're technically not a paedophile if they've never acted on their urges. I too find it admirable that they resist their urges but it is mandatory to do so anyway.
It's not their fault they're born like that but if they have self control then i think that's fine.
If OP thinks a paedophile should be put down even when they're causing no harm and controlling their urges then OP is a backward thinking idiot.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
I do not understand paedophillia. Is it a mental illness? A fetish?

I dont see it as a fetish, i think it is considered a disorder.
Original post by lolatmaths
Evil is what a religious fanatic uses.

No, they're technically not a paedophile if they've never acted on their urges. I too find it admirable that they resist their urges but it is mandatory to do so anyway.
It's not their fault they're born like that but if they have self control then i think that's fine.
If OP thinks a paedophile should be put down even when they're causing no harm and controlling their urges then OP is a backward thinking idiot.

They are a pedophile even if they,ve never acted on their urges idiot.
Original post by Screwsocietyy
They are a pedophile even if they,ve never acted on their urges idiot.

Ok so if they dont act on their urges then a) how would you know they're a paedophile and b) why does it matter?
Original post by lolatmaths
I dont see it as a fetish, i think it is considered a disorder.

Hmm Any interesting evolutionist theories for Paedophilia ?

Anyway back to the topic question. I sometimes fantasise about boning attractive women i see, am i evil? Are my urges more natural than Mr Paedo's urges?
There will be a lot people who are sexually attracted to children but they will never act on it and harm a child. If you knew someone thought this way would you see them as a monster?

Of course not.

People who are sexually attracted to minors are not that way inclined due to a conscious choice. If they make the choice to act upon their desires then they should be punished to the full extent of the law however portraying somebody who has an attraction towards minors but never acts upon said attraction as "evil" does far, far more harm than good.

All that you achieve by painting those people as "evil" is you make it less and less likely that they are going to come forward to seek help to control their urges, and so instead of them seeing a professional who can help them understand their desires and find coping strategies to help them keep them under control and prevent them from acting upon their desires they suppress them, keep them hidden, and it makes it far more likely that at some point in the future they will give in and do something unacceptable.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Hmm Any interesting evolutionist theories for Paedophilia ?

Anyway back to the topic question. I sometimes fantasise about boning attractive women i see, am i evil? Are my urges more natural than Mr Paedo's urges?

Like there's no gay gene, i assume there's no Paedo gene either. I could be wrong but idk.

Well yes it is more acceptable in society to fantasise about shagging an attractive women than it is to fantasise shagging a kid. It's technically not more 'natural' since whilst you're naturally attracted to women, a paedo is naturally attracted to children.
lol do people really think that it's not their fault? Perhaps the most disgusting ones who go for kids who haven't even got anywhere near puberty, but most of them are just sick weirdos.
so you a pedophile supporter?

If they dont act on it they're not evil, that is my point
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Evil is not a term I often use. It reeks of religion. I think it's admirable they possess the restraint to not act upon their desires.

I don't judge people for thoughts or desires that are our of their control. At the end of the day it's actions (and inaction) that matters.

I use the term "evil" reasonably often in my own thoughts, but only to describe actions and institutions, not people. Hence owning slaves is an evil act and the slave trade was an evil institution, but a slaveowner is probably just a misguided idiot.
Original post by mackemforever
Of course not.

People who are sexually attracted to minors are not that way inclined due to a conscious choice. If they make the choice to act upon their desires then they should be punished to the full extent of the law however portraying somebody who has an attraction towards minors but never acts upon said attraction as "evil" does far, far more harm than good.

All that you achieve by painting those people as "evil" is you make it less and less likely that they are going to come forward to seek help to control their urges, and so instead of them seeing a professional who can help them understand their desires and find coping strategies to help them keep them under control and prevent them from acting upon their desires they suppress them, keep them hidden, and it makes it far more likely that at some point in the future they will give in and do something unacceptable.

Exactly. If we treat paedophiles the same whether or not they act on their desires, that's not going to help them not act on their desires, is it?
Original post by richpanda
lol do people really think that it's not their fault? Perhaps the most disgusting ones who go for kids who haven't even got anywhere near puberty, but most of them are just sick weirdos.

I think you're talking about child molesters there, not paedophiles. The groups overlap but they're not synonymous.
Original post by shawtyb
what is it with all these thread topics lately

it makes a change from Muslim bashing :rolleyes:
There will be a lot people who are sexually attracted to children but they will never act on it and harm a child. If you knew someone thought this way would you see them as a monster?

No, we're drawing a very fine line and cutting it close but people see the act of pedoing on a child as wrong, nothing wrong with it, if it stays in your head. Also is this a pedo bashing thread?
Pedophiles may not necessary chose to be attracted to children but they all should still be put down.

Whats wrong with killing people?

And its evil.

You gave the correct answer xD
Reply 54
It is a psychiatric disorder according to the World Health Organisation
I don't think you should punish or judge someone for something they cannot control like their thoughts - you'd never know they were a pedophile if it was all in their head anyway. For all you know the person that sits next to you every day could be a pedophile.
However they can control whether they act on those urges or not.
tfw OP contested everyone but you :mmm:
They still think about it though.

Have you never had an intrusive thought in your life before?
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Have you never had an intrusive thought in your life before?

No.

I have thought about killing people. But those people deserve to be killed.
But those people deserve to be killed.

idk fam based on your other posts you seem to hate every human being, I have you down as a repressed serial killer
Original post by Retired_Messiah
idk fam based on your other posts you seem to hate every human being, I have you down as a repressed serial killer

So what if I am?

Quick Reply

Latest