The Student Room Group

What AS grades would I need to get into a Russell group university?

Scroll to see replies

It depends on your personal statement, what you want to study and the university.
Original post by 160998
I have my final S1 exam to go, but so far all my exams have gone a lot worse than anticipated. Worst case scenario I will retake the AS' needed and apply to uni for the following year.
I was wondering what grades are usually required for Russell group universities, and if anyone has done worse than predicted and still got offers?

Also, do we apply with these AS grades or our predictions? I thought the system changed now, seeing as most of my AS' do not count towards my final grade, but I'm unsure.

There is no set of results you need to obtain. University admissions, just like most things, are holistic processes. They're going to look at every single piece of information available to them, from your grades to references to the average performance of your school etc etc to help them make their decision. As a result, no one can say 'you need to get xxxx at AS to get an offer' because that simply isn't how it works, although obviously having better grades is going to help to put you in a stronger position than someone with lower grades. Just do your best and worry about this stuff later
Reply 22
Original post by lucabrasi98
My teacher made it sound like you'd need 4A's lol. I got BCCC yet got offers from Manchester, Cardiff, Birmingham, Exeter and Nottingham for civil engineering. That being said I think I'm on course for A*AB now. But I think predictions matter more. If you have a genuine reason why you flopped then your teachers need to put it in your references.

bs. What University was it? I don't know any medical school in the country that would accept that. There's always extreme cases but that's too much lol. That being said, my friend got an mechanical engineering offer from Queen Marys and an electrical engineering offer from Kings.... His AS grades were DDEU. I didn't think it was possible. Honestly just from hearing that I'd never apply to any of those courses at any of those Unis. How can you let people in that easily lol

BS? Hm, not sure what my motivation would be to lie. It was a very highly respected medical school as well. Like I said, GCSE's and extracurricular's play a big part.
And it's become so easy because universities aren't restricted to how many offers they can give out. If you had CCC at AS and come out with AAA at A2 then hat's off to you and you've earned your place at most uni's, that's the mentality.
Reply 23
Original post by thad33
BS? Hm, not sure what my motivation would be to lie. It was a very highly respected medical school as well. Like I said, GCSE's and extracurricular's play a big part.
And it's become so easy because universities aren't restricted to how many offers they can give out. If you had CCC at AS and come out with AAA at A2 then hat's off to you and you've earned your place at most uni's, that's the mentality.

How relevant are GCSEs? I did quite averagely as stupidly didn't revise. I've learnt now though, it's just annoying.
Also do they give credit for taking some gcses early?
Depends of the uni and course. I know someone at KCL who got Bs and Cs so don't stress too much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by 160998
How relevant are GCSEs? I did quite averagely as stupidly didn't revise. I've learnt now though, it's just annoying.
Also do they give credit for taking some gcses early?

It's more that they look at the overall picture.
If you do really well at GCSE, say 6A*+ but get below average A levels they can see that you just a had rough time with the exams.
Good A Levels cancel out poor GCSEs as long as you aren't applying for Oxford and or Medicine/Dentistry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thad33

You still haven't even said the name of the University. I bet you're going to say you don't remember or something (although you conveniently remembered how prestigious it was). Not even the worst medical school in the country would let you in when applying with 3B's at AS. Let alone a highly respected one. I know several people who got rejected from the lower end medical schools in the UK with 4A's at AS. All had at least 6A*'s at GCSE's and loads of work experience. Brilliant entry exams and I'm assuming they had great interviews. I think about 6 of them got at least 2 rejections. Only 1 got 4 rejections though.

So how can you say this person got a place at a highly respected school with BBB.
(edited 7 years ago)
:facepalm: some of the advice in this thread about what universities look for is terrible

your PS will rarely make a difference in whether you get an offer or not (apart from for some courses where significant numbers of people are rejected like medicine or nursing or primary education).

Likewise your GCSEs will rarely be looked at other than to check you've got english and maths.

As for some universities snapping up sporty people or those with lots of ECs.....nope

You apply declaring the grades you've got (AS) if your school/college doesn't offer AS then your referee should provide a mock result for the end of Yr 12 and some background about the policy and subject choice available to you. You'll also have predicted grades for the subjects you're taking at A level.

Original post by 160998
I have my final S1 exam to go, but so far all my exams have gone a lot worse than anticipated. Worst case scenario I will retake the AS' needed and apply to uni for the following year.
I was wondering what grades are usually required for Russell group universities, and if anyone has done worse than predicted and still got offers?

Also, do we apply with these AS grades or our predictions? I thought the system changed now, seeing as most of my AS' do not count towards my final grade, but I'm unsure.

What subject are you looking to study? There's a big difference between the entry requirements for medicine and the entry requirements for environmental science or criminology or languages...even a single university will have hugely different selection criteria for different subjects.
ABBB - BBBC minimum realistically

Some courses at 15-20 ranked universities still need A*AA-AAA (Law, Maths)
Reply 29
You still haven't even said the name of the University. I bet you're going to say you don't remember or something (although you conveniently remembered how prestigious it was). Not even the worst medical school in the country would let you in when applying with 3B's at AS. Let alone a highly respected one. I know several people who got rejected from the lower end medical schools in the UK with 4A's at AS. All had at least 6A*'s at GCSE's and loads of work experience. Brilliant entry exams and I'm assuming they had great interviews. I think about 6 of them got at least 2 rejections. Only 1 got 4 rejections though.

So how can you say this person got a place at a highly respected school with BBB.

I couldn't care less whether you choose to accept it or not.
The fact is, a top medical school accepted someone with BBB. I won't be naming the school for several reasons but it's a well respected RG uni.
In fact I also know of another who received an offer from a different RG uni with ABB and a resit A2 year.

I'm not a child so I'm not going to lie on a meaningless Internet forum. I was using extremes from my own experience on how you can still get to where you want to go despite having a set back.
Hopefully OP got the message but you crack on kid, think what you want.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by PQ
:facepalm: some of the advice in this thread about what universities look for is terrible

your PS will rarely make a difference in whether you get an offer or not (apart from for some courses where significant numbers of people are rejected like medicine or nursing or primary education).

Likewise your GCSEs will rarely be looked at other than to check you've got english and maths.

As for some universities snapping up sporty people or those with lots of ECs.....nope

You apply declaring the grades you've got (AS) if your school/college doesn't offer AS then your referee should provide a mock result for the end of Yr 12 and some background about the policy and subject choice available to you. You'll also have predicted grades for the subjects you're taking at A level.

What subject are you looking to study? There's a big difference between the entry requirements for medicine and the entry requirements for environmental science or criminology or languages...even a single university will have hugely different selection criteria for different subjects.

My reference to sport was someone playing to a very high level. And from what they said about the conversation they had with the admissions tutor it definitely played a part.
(I'm talking sport at a national level)

Agreed otherwise it's pretty irrelevant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well i got AAU and got offers from RG Unis:smile:
Original post by thad33
My reference to sport was someone playing to a very high level. And from what they said about the conversation they had with the admissions tutor it definitely played a part.
(I'm talking sport at a national level)

Agreed otherwise it's pretty irrelevant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's more that people playing sport at a national level will receive extra funding or support to compete while studying. It's rare that it would make a difference in whether they're made an offer or not (and would usually only be places like bath or loughborough for sport related courses where it would have any influence).
It's impressive but isn't going to mean an offer if your predictions are way off the standard offer. The standard selection criteria will be used (otherwise a university is breaking the rules on fair admissions practice).
Reply 33
Original post by Ayaz789
Well i got AAU and got offers from RG Unis:smile:

I'm probably going to get something similar this year

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would say BBC at the low end, perhaps lower if other parts of your application are very strong or exceptional. Also it depends which Russell Group unis you are looking at, and for which courses as they vary greatly. But if your AS grades do turn out this low if you still get good predicted grades at/exceeding the standard offers of the courses you apply to, then you still have a good chance and won't be too disadvantaged.

And yes, you have to apply with all your AS grades (it doesn't matter that they are reformed), as well as your predicted grades which your school will enter. If you don't include your AS grades and get found out, all your applications can be disqualified.
Original post by Fish40
I'm probably going to get something similar this year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Try aim for better though
Original post by thad33
I couldn't care less whether you choose to accept it or not.
The fact is, a top medical school accepted someone with BBB. I won't be naming the school for several reasons but it's a well respected RG uni.
In fact I also know of another who received an offer from a different RG uni with ABB and a resit A2 year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lmao that was so cringe worthy to read. What possible reasons would you have for not giving a name? It's not like I'm asking for the name and year or the student. Or that I'm looking to blast the Uni. You've clearly stated that it's a great Uni. It's because you know once you post a name people can just google the Uni and show you proof that you're not even getting an interview with BBB AS grades. But I'm not surprised. The instant I saw you defending your BBB statement, I knew you wouldn't give a university name.

Keep in mind that the one of the lowest ranked Uni's in the UK that still offers Medicine is the University of Brighton who are 90th on the complete university guide.And yet their entry requirements for it are AAA.They're also the 5th lowest ranked medical school Central Lancashire is another one. Lowest ranked medical school in the UK. 99th overall Uni in the UK. Still only accepts applicants with at LEAST AAB for medicine. So if that's Brighton, and central Lancashire, you're telling me a top 20 Uni (I'm assuming. You said a respected RG) let someone in who applied with BBB?

You could've at least made your lie more believable by saying it was a lower end Uni. Maybe then I wouldn't have bothered calling you out lol. I'll never understand why people lie on anonymous forums anyway.
(edited 7 years ago)
You don't even need that high grades, though you should try as hard as you can to secure as many A grades as possible. There will be numerous russel groups who take you with BBB come results day
Reply 38
Lmao that was so cringe worthy to read. What possible reasons would you have for not giving a name? It's not like I'm asking for the name and year or the student. Or that I'm looking to blast the Uni. You've clearly stated that it's a great Uni. It's because you know once you post a name people can just google the Uni and show you proof that you're not even getting an interview with BBB AS grades. But I'm not surprised. The instant I saw you defending your BBB statement, I knew you wouldn't give a university name.

Keep in mind that the one of the lowest ranked Uni's in the UK that still offers Medicine is the University of Brighton who are 90th on the complete university guide.And yet their entry requirements for it are AAA.They're also the 5th lowest ranked medical school Central Lancashire is another one. Lowest ranked medical school in the UK. 99th overall Uni in the UK. Still only accepts applicants with at LEAST AAB for medicine. So if that's Brighton, and central Lancashire, you're telling me a top 20 Uni (I'm assuming. You said a respected RG) let someone in who applied with BBB?

You could've at least made your lie more believable by saying it was a lower end Uni. Maybe then I wouldn't have bothered calling you out lol. I'll never understand why people lie on anonymous forums anyway.

Cringeworthy? I just stated that what I said was accurate and I couldn't care less that you don't believe it. Doesn't affect my day.
I know what will happen, despite you saying otherwise, people will start digging and sticking their nose in and I don't want to be the one giving out information on people.
Am I saying that people with BBB normally get offers for medicine? Obviously not. What I'm saying is someone with those grades did get an offer to a well respected medical school, that's a fact. I couldn't believe it either but it obviously happens, I don't see why you immediately point the finger shouting liar when you have no information.
Your last paragraph seems to be about A2 grades. I agree no one getting BBB at A2 is likely going to be getting accepted but that isn't what we were talking about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thad33
despite you saying otherwise, people will start digging and sticking their nose in and I don't want to be the one giving out information on people.

Lol. Digging their noses? By quickly googling a university? I don't know how you expect anyone to identify the name of a person just from a university name and nothing else.
You could just PM the Uni name but I'm not expecting you to.I'd respect you more if you just admitted it didn't happen instead of holding onto "I know the name but I'm not telling you!".

There's being hopeful then there's being realistic. I'd strongly advise no one with BBB to apply for a medical school. As it is, 60% of medicine applicants get 4 rejections. The vast majority of those applicants would've had brilliant BMAT/UKCAT scores, great GCSE's and a few A's at a level.

BBB sends you straight to the rejection pile. By lying you're just giving people who may be reading what you're saying false hope.

It's a pity that people like you thrive off spreading misinformation. The UK actually has a cap on how many medical school places are allowed to be opened to applicants per year. That's why they don't just casually make exceptions and significantly drop their standards for some people. I mentioned the University Brighton earlier. The one 90th overall and one of the lowest ranked medical schools. But even then, the percentage of applicants that receive offers for medicine there is 12%. I'd bet money that none of those 12% got BBB or worse. Keeping in mind that it's Brighton, consider how much higher the entry standards for a respected RG Uni would be for the most competitive course in the country.

I guess this is the part where you reply saying "I don't have anything to prove to you. Believe me if you want". Then you log off TSR in embarrassment. But don't please bother replying if you're still not saying the university name. There's no point continuing.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest