The Student Room Group

Cue the witch hunt.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thunder_chunky
It is her fault. It's her child, her responsibility. If he even looked for a second like he was going to jump over and in then she should have been on him, holding him close to her. It's her responsibility. If it were my child, I'd hold him close to me at all times, irrespective of whether or not he was even thinking of climbing the rails.
The problem these days is that there is no accountability or responsibility. Everyone is a victim, everything is someone else's fault. No, this is her fault. She is a moron.

So when you have a kid, are you going to keep them with you for every single second of the day? Until what age?
Original post by DiddyDec
Who? ****ing lol.

I take it you are a vegetarian.

Care to explain?
Original post by 999tigger
Care to explain?

He's being edgy for the sake of it
The number of nutjobs who apparently value the life of a gorilla over a 4 year old child is disturbing.
Care to explain?

Do you eat meat?
Original post by GwynLordOfCinder
He's being edgy for the sake of it

You clearly don't know me at all.
Do you eat meat?

I got the first bit and no I'm not a vegetarian. What has that got to do with it?

What was the first point of your post? I got the lol bit , so im just wondering about the expletive? Is gwn correct and it was an attempt at being edgy?
You clearly don't know me at all.

Let me correct it then, he's being edgy because he doesn't realise how cringey it makes him look
Original post by Guru Jason
Lol no one gave the MCCann parents this much of a hard time for leaving there child unattended and that ended in a tragedy. The hypocracy is unreal.

Lol have you been living on another planet? They have been criticised from day one.
Original post by BasingstokeBoy
So when you have a kid, are you going to keep them with you for every single second of the day? Until what age?

If/when I have kids, I'll kniw when to keep them on a short leash and when to let them roam further. Especially when they are four or five years old. What kind of incompetent halfwit allows this sort of situation in the first place?
The blame does lie with the parent(s), period.
Reply 29
It should not have been so easy for a child to get into the enclosure. It is much easier to avoid a design mistake like that than it is to avoid a temporary lapse in attention. I don't know for how long or in what manner the woman's attention slipped. But jesus christ, there are plenty of actively malevolent, selfish and immoral people in the world. How on earth does this woman deserve such vitriol. Look at it from her point of view. Imagine how absolutely terrifying that experience was for her. And then the hate mob descends for no other reason other than people like to feel superior to others, and think about how things ought to be done and how things ought to go and how they would never make such a heinous mistake; oh, they are so perfect and wise.
edit: Well, another reason is people like animals that are endangered or "majestic" or "beautiful". You are only valuing that animal in terms of its worth to you as something you enjoy seeing just the same as you value pigs because they taste nice. Stop acting like some altruistic defender of innocent creatures or apply your principles consistently
(edited 7 years ago)
I got the first bit and no I'm not a vegetarian. What has that got to do with it?

What was the first point of your post? I got the lol bit , so im just wondering about the expletive? Is gwn correct and it was an attempt at being edgy?

How is the killing of this animal any different to the killing of the animals you eat?

Animals are its, not whos.

If/when I have kids, I'll kniw when to keep them on a short leash and when to let them roam further. Especially when they are four or five years old. What kind of incompetent halfwit allows this sort of situation in the first place?

What kind of incompetent zoo has such poor fencing that a kid can easily get inside it? I have a 3 year old cousin and he often wanders around by himself and he's never fallen in a gorilla pit.
A tragic event which could easily have been prevented by better enclosure planning. That being said, the only accidental part of this situation was the boy getting into the enclosure. The shooting was no accident, they had no choice but to kill Harambe. The mother doesn't deserve all of the hatred but I would expect slightly more remorse/accountability on her behalf. Especially considering the Zoo's decision to prioritise her child over Harambe. Maybe in the future she'll keep a better eye on the kid.
Lol have you been living on another planet? They have been criticised from day one.

You're joking right? The media was with them from day one. If there is any blame then it is with the zoo for not having better barriers. The zoo made the right call and did what needed to be done.
Original post by tengentoppa
The number of nutjobs who apparently value the life of a gorilla over a 4 year old child is disturbing.

4 year olds aren't a critically endangered species.
Original post by BasingstokeBoy
What kind of incompetent zoo has such poor fencing that a kid can easily get inside it? I have a 3 year old cousin and he often wanders around by himself and he's never fallen in a gorilla pit.

Before this had happened, how many people had fallen into that enclosure? How many had jumped? How many were children? The problem is less to do with the fencing, and more to do with the parenting. Once again, it's about responsibility.
Ultimately, the care and wellbeing of a child falls to his/her parents. The buck stops with them. They should have seen what the fencing was like and kept the kid close to them at all times. Ultimately, it was their fault.

Original post by Guru Jason
You're joking right? The media was with them from day one. If there is any blame then it is with the zoo for not having better barriers. The zoo made the right call and did what needed to be done.

A great deal of people were not on their side though , and had twitter existed in its current capacity back then, it would have been vastly more obvious. It is irrelevant really.
As for the blame, the parents deserve blame. Without a doubt. And I think he shooting of the animal, whilst sad and avoidable, was necessary.
Reply 36
Original post by Dom2375

Why does it matter that the species is endangered?
Original post by The Roast
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36416350

"The mother of a boy who fell into a gorilla enclosure at a US zoo has become the victim of online abuse after zookeepers shot the animal dead.

Some even called for Ms Gregg to be dismissed from her job.
Ms Gregg posted on Facebook after the incident and at about the same time a Facebook group called Justice for Harambe was set up.
An online petition signed by more than 300,000 people was also created, calling for her to be held accountable for Harambe's death"

What's done is done. Going after this woman serves no purpose other than to waste resources. Kids are not robots, you can't control them 24/7. None of you were there, you don't know specifics.
Instead of going after this woman, why don't you all focus on that woman and her partner who repeatedly abused her son, intentionally, until he could take no more and died at age 2. But no, you're right, this is more important. A moment of lapse of concentration over 2 years of intentionally child abuse.
God should've protected the gorilla.
Original post by Dom2375

It's a bloody 4 year old child. Its life is more important than any animal. Even if that gorilla was the last of its kind on earth, shooting it would still have been the right call.

That the life of a human is dearer than the life of an animal is not a point of contention.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending