The Student Room Group

I don't know where to turn. Help me, please.

Poll

Should I make an appeal?

I haven't been completely honest with my first post. I felt ashamed :ashamed2:
I did my first GCSE English Language's Controlled Assessment, and it was marked by my college. However, AQA sent a report for plagiarism back to my college, and I lost all my marks. :cry2:

I had never heard of plagiarism until last Monday. I had never written an essay about a book before. I assumed that retrieving information from books, websites and others published works was acceptable as long as I did not provide an essay of 1200 words that entirely belong to one author. Therefore, I did hours, weeks of research. I selected what I wanted from a dozen of sources and amalgamated it together. I reworked my essay seven times and learned 1200 words by heart. :cry:
I was marked 23/30. Unsatisfied, I asked to have my essay moderated. I was shocked at not getting more marks after all the hours of research and hard work putting everything together and learning my lines. After moderation, I was allocated one more mark. No question was ever asked.

I left school at 13. I never sat a GCSE final exam! I self-taught myself grammar, punctuation and vocabulary. I am an addict of crosswords. I did my ESOL Basic to Higher Intermediate in 1992-1993. No essay writing was involved. I am working to achieve an overall A. I did get an A for all my other Controlled Assessment (17/20, 17/20, 18/20, and 43/45). All were entirely my work.

We never signed a declaration of authenticity before, during, or after sitting our current assessments. We only signed our student notes. Four weeks ago, we signed much paperwork, and I remember signing a form for all our Controlled Assessments. I didn't see anything about adding my sources, etc. I assumed it was all right, because if asked, I had by folder with all my research. Then, a few days later AQA called a few of our class' Controlled Assessments, mine included. I was excited about it: 'maybe my marks would increase for my OMAM Controlled Assessment'.

I don't understand why Plagiarism was not discussed in class, Why we were not asked to sign a statement per each controlled assessments. After all, we are given a letter of regulation before our final exam. My college says that they can not support me:

[i]'With regard to the plagiarism in your GCSE English Language controlled assessment, it was AQA that raised this matter with the College. As requested a copy of the report from AQA is available for you to collect at College reception. We wish to support you through the rest of your studies, however, there is very little we can do with regards to a matter of plagiarism. The Joint Council for Qualifications (JCQ) regulations clearly stipulate that the following are not grounds for appeal :

the individual did not intend to cheat;
the individual has an unblemished academic record;
the individual could lose a university place;
the individual regrets his/her actions.

From the information I have received your justification falls within these criteria and therefore there are no grounds for appeal. AQA only accept appeals direct from the Head of Centre therefore contacting them directly will not assist you. The cover sheet which all students are asked to sign clearly asks candidates to ‘list any books, leaflets or other materials used to complete the work not acknowledged in the work itself. Presenting materials copied from other sources without acknowledgement is regarded as deliberate deception.’

I believe, they are washing their hands of their responsibility for failing to inform me about plagiarism. I did not know I was cheating, and not, 'I did not intent to cheat'.

I have asked other students if they recall signing a cover sheet where sources, etc. could be noted. None remembers.

I don't know where to turn. I am sick to my gut. I left the college never to return last Tuesday. I was going to drop out. My fellow students asked me not to give up. I sat the first part of my GCSE Higher Maths final exam, last Thursday, on the brink of tears. I have been unable to sleep for nine days. I feel betrayed. I had a look at the college student handbook, and there seem to be no Students Union.

The only person I could contact was the Quality Manager, who wrote the letter I copied above and concluded it with this:'I understand from the curriculum team that you are still able to succeed on the course and can assure you that there will be no record of the plagiarism on your student record with AQA, therefore would urge you to continue with your studies and move on from this matter.'

Any advice, please, anyone. Please do not judge me. I worked hard on my own to be where I am.

Michelle-Annie
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm sure you feel sick to your stomach over this, you worked hard to do your best and have accidentally broken rules you were unaware of. There's no way around the plagiarism rules so the only advice I can offer is to echo the quality manager for you try to move on. Do your 100% best with the exams you have left.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by gdunne42
I'm sure you feel sick to your stomach over this, you worked hard to do your best and have accidentally broken rules you were unaware of. There's no way around the plagiarism rules so the only advice I can offer is to echo the quality manager for you try to move on. Do your 100% best with the exams you have left.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with this. :redface: there is nothing you can do about it now so just try and do your best with your other exams
Original post by gdunne42

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your reply.
Original post by s.mo
I agree with this. :redface: there is nothing you can do about it now so just try and do your best with your other exams

Reply 5
please don't let one mistake (which wasn't really your fault) affect the rest of your exams.I'm in a similar situation. I revised and revised and revised for a chemistry paper and couldn't answer the questions, I just wanted to cry in the hall.I have one more exam to bring my grade up and i'm giving it my all.you have more exams coming up, more opportunities to get as many points and marks as possible.this is easier said then done, but don't ever give up! you obviously want to do well because you put so much effort into that piece of work.keep going and once you give it your all and you know you tried your best, it will all feel so much better than if you just let that mistake fester and effect everything else.learn from it and turn it into a positive, by making you a stronger and more determined and motivated person, who wont let (minor) set backs get in the way of your goals. xxxx
Original post by CERC
please don't let one mistake (which wasn't really your fault) affect the rest of your exams.I'm in a similar situation. I revised and revised and revised for a chemistry paper and couldn't answer the questions, I just wanted to cry in the hall.I have one more exam to bring my grade up and i'm giving it my all.you have more exams coming up, more opportunities to get as many points and marks as possible.this is easier said then done, but don't ever give up! you obviously want to do well because you put so much effort into that piece of work.keep going and once you give it your all and you know you tried your best, it will all feel so much better than if you just let that mistake fester and effect everything else.learn from it and turn it into a positive, by making you a stronger and more determined and motivated person, who wont let (minor) set backs get in the way of your goals. xxxx

Thank you. On the day I was told, I wanted to give up. It felt as if the world raised itself against me. Then I swallowed my pride and told my teacher and some of my fellow students what happened. They also were shocked. I cryed for three days. Then, I attended my first exam.

I was informed that despite loosing all my marks for the Of Mice And Men controlled assessment (0/30), if I achieved the same marks I received for my mock exam in my final exam, I will obtain a C medium. I suppose with a little push I could achieve a B.
I am upset at my college not taking responsibility and apologising to me. I don't blame my teacher. She is amazing. However, doing some further revision and practice before the exam held next Tuesday is merely impossible. It is half term and I am a single mother of a three year old child.

I am sorry to hear about your 'brain freeze'. Sometimes we revise too much and we suffer from information overload. I wish you all the best for your next exam.
Thank you for your advice. x
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Michelle-Annie

Do you think I could do something about it after the exam?
[QUOTE="Michelle-Annie;65353323"]I haven't been completely honest with my first post. I felt ashamed :ashamed2:
I did my first GCSE English Language's Controlled Assessment, and it was marked by my college. However, AQA sent a report for plagiarism back to my college, and I lost all my marks. :cry2:

I had never heard of plagiarism until last Monday. I had never written an essay about a book before. I assumed that retrieving information from books, websites and others published works was acceptable as long as I did not provide an essay of 1200 words that entirely belong to one author. Therefore, I did hours, weeks of research. I selected what I wanted from a dozen of sources and amalgamated it together. I reworked my essay seven times and learned 1200 words by heart. :cry:
I was marked 23/30. Unsatisfied, I asked to have my essay moderated. I was shocked at not getting more marks after all the hours of research and hard work putting everything together and learning my lines. After moderation, I was allocated one more mark. No question was ever asked.

I left school at 13. I never sat a GCSE final exam! I self-taught myself grammar, punctuation and vocabulary. I am an addict of crosswords. I did my ESOL Basic to Higher Intermediate in 1992-1993. No essay writing was involved. I am working to achieve an overall A. I did get an A for all my other Controlled Assessment (17/20, 17/20, 18/20, and 43/45). All were entirely my work.

We never signed a declaration of authenticity before, during, or after sitting our current assessments. We only signed our student notes. Four weeks ago, we signed much paperwork, and I remember signing a form for all our Controlled Assessments. I didn't see anything about adding my sources, etc. I assumed it was all right, because if asked, I had by folder with all my research. Then, a few days later AQA called a few of our class' Controlled Assessments, mine included. I was excited about it: 'maybe my marks would increase for my OMAM Controlled Assessment'.

I don't understand why Plagiarism was not discussed in class, Why we were not asked to sign a statement per each controlled assessments. After all, we are given a letter of regulation before our final exam. My college says that they can not support me:

'With regard to the plagiarism in your GCSE English Language controlled assessment, it was AQA that raised this matter with the College. As requested a copy of the report from AQA is available for you to collect at College reception. We wish to support you through the rest of your studies, however, there is very little we can do with regards to a matter of plagiarism. The Joint Council for Qualifications (JCQ) regulations clearly stipulate that the following are not grounds for appeal :

From the information I have received your justification falls within these criteria and therefore there are no grounds for appeal. AQA only accept appeals direct from the Head of Centre therefore contacting them directly will not assist you. The cover sheet which all students are asked to sign clearly asks candidates to ‘list any books, leaflets or other materials used to complete the work not acknowledged in the work itself. Presenting materials copied from other sources without acknowledgement is regarded as deliberate deception.’

I believe, they are washing their hands of their responsibility for failing to inform me about plagiarism. I did not know I was cheating, and not, 'I did not intent to cheat'.

I have asked other students if they recall signing a cover sheet where sources, etc. could be noted. None remembers.

I don't know where to turn. I am sick to my gut. I left the college never to return last Tuesday. I was going to drop out. My fellow students asked me not to give up. I sat the first part of my GCSE Higher Maths final exam, last Thursday, on the brink of tears. I have been unable to sleep for nine days. I feel betrayed. I had a look at the college student handbook, and there seem to be no Students Union.

The only person I could contact was the Quality Manager, who wrote the letter I copied above and concluded it with this:'I understand from the curriculum team that you are still able to succeed on the course and can assure you that there will be no record of the plagiarism on your student record with AQA, therefore would urge you to continue with your studies and move on from this matter.'

Any advice, please, anyone. Please do not judge me. I worked hard on my own to be where I am.

Michelle-Annie

Here's story time, i remember the first time i just copied an essay and handed it and somehow out of all the essays in the world another student in the same class as me also handed in the same essay, the teacher being super smart knew we plagiarised and asked us to actually do this essay again, at that time i'd also never heard of plagiarism and i was told about it and i was like ohhhhhh..... well then. (thankfully i didn't get in trouble)

however it's wrong of the place you were being taught at to not give you those, i definitely remember signing a sheet which said all the work i produced was mine and mine only.

unfortunately people just don't care now a days :frown: i feel sorry for you but like everyone else here has stated you must move on sadly
Original post by poundsoffat
Here's story time, i remember the first time i just copied an essay and handed it and somehow out of all the essays in the world another student in the same class as me also handed in the same essay, the teacher being super smart knew we plagiarised and asked us to actually do this essay again, at that time i'd also never heard of plagiarism and i was told about it and i was like ohhhhhh..... well then. (thankfully i didn't get in trouble)

however it's wrong of the place you were being taught at to not give you those, i definitely remember signing a sheet which said all the work i produced was mine and mine only.

unfortunately people just don't care now a days :frown: i feel sorry for you but like everyone else here has stated you must move on sadly

Thank you for your reply. I wish I was given another chance to write my controlled assessment. I am glad for you, thought.
Its impossible to say without seeing or reading the AQA report. It should be quite easy to recognise what plagiarism was and how they viewed it. I dont think you would have been caught if you had simply attached a bibliography and done some references. Without that it seems you were presenting other peoples work and ideas as your own because you didnt credit where it came from. You did break the rules.

Its parly your fault, but I agree your school and your teacher should have made this point clear. If you were signing declaration forms then you should have read and understood them. She says you signed a coversheet and the declaration was untrue.

So i was trying to figure out what the sanction was? its just a 0 score for that piece of work? You can either carry on and try to get a C or resit. You have had a lucky escape because there will be no record of this from AQA who cna ban you from the exam for a number of years or worse. You have been lucky and were I in your position, then i would be more annoyed at myself for not having understood the rules and signing something that was false. When you write assessments in future then check to see if they require a biblio.

My advice:

1. Decide if you wnat to try for a C or in any event just resit it next time to get the higher grade. Learn the lesson.
2. Dont let it spoil your other exams. This is a far more serious risk. You are in shock, but now you have to focus. Be angry or sad after the exams, but get your priorities right.
3. Write a complaint to the school and get some reassurance that they place a greater emphasis on the declaration form and more advice about plagiaraism.

ps I thought the letter by the quality officer was fair.
Can I just add again you need to get your priorities right and know when to pick your battles.
You are letting one small shock cloud your judgment and interfere with your remaining exams. That is not in your interest.

Your poll shows how you arent thinking clearly. Deal with it after the exams and dont see yourself as a victim.
Original post by 999tigger
Its impossible to say without seeing or reading the AQA report. It should be quite easy to recognise what plagiarism was and how they viewed it. I dont think you would have been caught if you had simply attached a bibliography and done some references. Without that it seems you were presenting other peoples work and ideas as your own because you didnt credit where it came from. You did break the rules.

Its parly your fault, but I agree your school and your teacher should have made this point clear. If you were signing declaration forms then you should have read and understood them. She says you signed a coversheet and the declaration was untrue.

So i was trying to figure out what the sanction was? its just a 0 score for that piece of work? You can either carry on and try to get a C or resit. You have had a lucky escape because there will be no record of this from AQA who cna ban you from the exam for a number of years or worse. You have been lucky and were I in your position, then i would be more annoyed at myself for not having understood the rules and signing something that was false. When you write assessments in future then check to see if they require a biblio.

My advice:

1. Decide if you wnat to try for a C or in any event just resit it next time to get the higher grade. Learn the lesson.
2. Dont let it spoil your other exams. This is a far more serious risk. You are in shock, but now you have to focus. Be angry or sad after the exams, but get your priorities right.
3. Write a complaint to the school and get some reassurance that they place a greater emphasis on the declaration form and more advice about plagiaraism.

ps I thought the letter by the quality officer was fair.

I have spoken to other students in my class, and none of them recall signing a form where our sources, etc. could have been quoted. We signed a student notes form before each controlled assessment, not a declaration that the work provided was entirely ours. We indeed signed a form about our assessments, alongside other paperwork before Easter Monday, but once again everyone I have spoken to do not recall this form was to quote our sources. We were being rushed to signed all our documents that day because the Programme Manager English. Essential Skills. School of Humanities and Applied Sciences wanted all the GCSE English paperwork forwarded to AQA as soon as possible. Even, our teacher was surprised about the rush.
I thank you for your advice.

Thank you for your reply. I have spoken to other students in my class, and none of them recall signing a form where our sources, etc. could have been quoted. We signed a student notes form before each controlled assessment, not a declaration that the work provided was entirely ours. We indeed signed a form about our assessments, alongside other paperwork before Easter Monday, but once again everyone I have spoken to do not recall this form was to quote our sources. We were being rushed to signed all our documents that day because the Programme Manager English. Essential Skills. School of Humanities and Applied Sciences wanted all the GCSE English paperwork forwarded to AQA as soon as possible. Even, our teacher was surprised about the rush.
I thank you for your advice.

Whether or not you signed the form , you gave implied consent to abide by the rules of the exam board when you take the exam. The teacher should know. They will also know that one of the things when they send your assessment will be a check for plagiarism. It seems you did break the rule, even if you didnt intend to. That is why the sanction is much lower.

You cna consider making a complaint to the college, but you have to acept a degree of responsibility for it yourself. Meanwhile stop beating yourself up about it and get some perspective. you cna resit it if you wish, you have other exams you are letting suffer and frankly there are more importnat things.

If I flt you had a case, then i would tell you.

When you study at a higher level then plagiarism is something that worries them a lot and they take very seriously, even kicking you out of uni for it. You have had a lesson to learn but also better to learn it now with hardly any consequences.
Reply 14
[QUOTE="Michelle-Annie;65353323"]I haven't been completely honest with my first post. I felt ashamed :ashamed2:

'With regard to the plagiarism in your GCSE English Language controlled assessment, it was AQA that raised this matter with the College. As requested a copy of the report from AQA is available for you to collect at College reception. We wish to support you through the rest of your studies, however, there is very little we can do with regards to a matter of plagiarism. The Joint Council for Qualifications (JCQ) regulations clearly stipulate that the following are not grounds for appeal :

Michelle-Annie

It's not that hard to not copy.
If you want you cna make a complaint to the college about why they didnt etahc you about plagiarism. Its likely your teacher could have been reprimanded as well as they jointly sign the declaration. Leave it till after the exam.

The rules are here
http://www.jcq.org.uk/Download/exams-office/malpractice/suspected-malpractice-in-examinations-and-assessments-2015-16
The declaration form is here. Annexe 1 P16.
http://www.jcq.org.uk/Download/exams-office/coursework/instructions-for-conducting-coursework-2016-2017
Whether or not you signed the form , you gave implied consent to abide by the rules of the exam board when you take the exam. The teacher should know. They will also know that one of the things when they send your assessment will be a check for plagiarism. It seems you did break the rule, even if you didnt intend to. That is why the sanction is much lower.

You cna consider making a complaint to the college, but you have to acept a degree of responsibility for it yourself. Meanwhile stop beating yourself up about it and get some perspective. you cna resit it if you wish, you have other exams you are letting suffer and frankly there are more importnat things.

If I flt you had a case, then i would tell you.

When you study at a higher level then plagiarism is something that worries them a lot and they take very seriously, even kicking you out of uni for it. You have had a lesson to learn but also better to learn it now with hardly any consequences.

What do you mean by: 'Whether or not you signed the form , you gave implied consent to abide by the rules of the exam board when you take the exam.' ?

If you mean the regulations of the final exam, then it has nothing to do with the controlled assessments. The regulations of the final exam were given to us after the Controlled Assessments were sent to AQA.
My post makes it clear that I do accept responsibility due to unawareness but my college does not.

I wish it was that easy for me to re-sit my exam. I am not 16 or 18, and I am a single mother of a three-year-old.
What do you mean by: 'Whether or not you signed the form , you gave implied consent to abide by the rules of the exam board when you take the exam.' ?

If you mean the regulations of the final exam, then it has nothing to do with the controlled assessments. The regulations of the final exam were given to us after the Controlled Assessments were sent to AQA.
My post makes it clear that I do accept responsibility due to unawareness but my college does not.

I wish it was that easy for me to re-sit my exam. I am not 16 or 18, and I am a single mother of a three-year-old.

Ofc it has to do with the assessments, its for the same qualification. I have linked you the rules to do with malpractice and also assessments. Anyone who is entered for the exam agrees to abide by their rules.

If you feel your college was to blame, then you should find out what their complaints procedure is and make one. You should also be making one about the teacher..

If that fails or you are unhappy then you make a formal complaint to the skills funding agency.

The details are here.
https://www.gov.uk/complainfurthereducationapprenticeship

If you believe they have caused you significant loss, wasted effort, then you should seek compensation as well.
(edited 7 years ago)
If you want you cna make a complaint to the college about why they didnt etahc you about plagiarism. Its likely your teacher could have been reprimanded as well as they jointly sign the declaration. Leave it till after the exam.

The rules are here
http://www.jcq.org.uk/Download/exams-office/malpractice/suspected-malpractice-in-examinations-and-assessments-2015-16
The declaration form is here. Annexe 1 P16.
http://www.jcq.org.uk/Download/exams-office/coursework/instructions-for-conducting-coursework-2016-2017

Thank you. I have just done that as I was commenting to you. I do appreciate your advice.

[..........] I have discussed with other students and third parties the issues of Plagiarism:

First of all, it seems that my case doesn't fall into The Joint Council for Qualifications (JCQ) regulations stipulating that the following is not grounds for appeal:

the individual did not intend to cheat. The fact is that I didn't know I was cheating since I wasn't aware of plagiarism.

Furthermore, I have spoken to other students in my class, and none of them recall signing a form where our sources, etc. could have been quoted. We signed a student's notes form before each controlled assessment, not a declaration that the work provided was entirely ours. We indeed signed a form about our academic year work, alongside other paperwork before Easter Monday, but once again, everyone I have spoken to do not recall this form was to quote our sources. We were being rushed to sign all our documents that day because [..........] wanted all the GCSE English paperwork forwarded to AQA as soon as possible. Even, our teacher was surprised about the rush since everything was to be received by 31st May 2016.

I believe [........] College should have, and should in the future, put greater emphasis on the declaration form and provide more advice about plagiarism. I am a capable student. However, I was penalised because I was unaware of plagiarism. [.....] College should accept some responsibilities for the sanction I received. My English teacher is an amazing teacher. I appreciated her support throughout this academic year. I have no doubt that I can be a difficult student. Without her patience, her advice and her help, I believe I would not have achieved as much as did within eight months. Our English class was one of the best classes I have attended over the years. Her teaching approach and compassion had a lot to do with this. I have no complaint nor issue to raise about my teacher. Warning students about plagiarism should have been [.......] College's responsibility.

I am extremely concerned about [......] College administration since I was faced with many issues during this academic year, such as:

sitting the Access To Higher Education assessment without being notified it would contain a Maths Assessment and will last 1 hour 30 minutes instead of 45 minutes.

attending a pre-arranged 1 to 1 meeting with a teacher concerning our English Language mock exam, which turns out to be held with another student, without me being properly notified. I booked this meeting to discuss a specified issue. I brought documents with me. However, my concern could not be discussed. I raised the issue with [...........], and she ignored my concern.

not being briefed about plagiarism while attending GCSE English Language classes, despite AQA is recommending incorporating an awareness-raising session on academic honesty in the induction process for new students. www.jcq.org.uk/Download/exams-office/malpractice/plagiarism-in-examinations
Section 13.

I am relieved that plagiarism will not feature into my study report and that no further sanction is taken against me. However, I feel betrayed by [.......] College.

I had a look at [..........] College's students handbook and noticed there is no Student Union. I am sitting my final exams next week. I, therefore, will look further into the issue after that.

Kind regards,
(edited 7 years ago)
aww i feel for you!

Quick Reply

Latest