The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Find by comparing change in momentum and using impulse formula ( I = mv-mu )
m1v1+m2v2=m1u1+m2u2

m1 - mass of particle a
m2 - mass of particle b
u1 - initial speed of a
u2 - initial speed of b
v1 - final speed of a
v2 - final speed of b

Sorry for the lack of detail
Reply 2
Original post by Blazyy
Find by comparing change in momentum and using impulse formula ( I = mv-mu )
m1v1+m2v2=m1u1+m2u2

m1 - mass of particle a
m2 - mass of particle b
u1 - initial speed of a
u2 - initial speed of b
v1 - final speed of a
v2 - final speed of b

Sorry for the lack of detail

so i've drawn this as my diagram

I did 14= 2xv - 2x5 is that right?
Reply 3
the part on the left is conservation of momentum.
Reply 4
B will have more momentum than A, so the particles will move in the initial direction of B. One Impulse is always negative, as there are equal and opposite forces acting on the particles when they collide.
Reply 5
Original post by thxmas7
the part on the left is conservation of momentum.

Original post by thxmas7
B will have more momentum than A, so the particles will move in the initial direction of B. One Impulse is always negative, as there are equal and opposite forces acting on the particles when they collide.

oh so since values of B are bigger the final velocity of A should be going left?

so either the arrows point away from each other or towards each other? because they both exert an impulse on each other?
Reply 6
Original post by poundsoffat
oh so since values of B are bigger the final velocity of A should be going left?

so either the arrows point away from each other or towards each other? because they both exert an impulse on each other?

When a collision takes place, one object (A) will provide a force on the other object (B). The other object (B) will provide an equal and opposite force on the that object (A). No the arrows (velocity) could be both be point the same way before and after the collision. But the transfer of momentum (impulse will be in opposite directions).
Reply 7
A has had a negative force acted on it by B (if right is positive), it will have a negative Impulse (as impulse = Ft). B has had a positive forced acted on it, and will have a positive impulse.
Reply 8
Original post by thxmas7
When a collision takes place, one object (A) will provide a force on the other object (B). The other object (B) will provide an equal and opposite force on the that object (A). No the arrows (velocity) could be both be point the same way before and after the collision. But the transfer of momentum (impulse will be in opposite directions).

so when it says impulse exerted on B by A that means that A provides the force so .... i'm still confused as to which direction the final velocity of A goes...
Reply 9
Original post by poundsoffat
so when it says impulse exerted on B by A that means that A provides the force so .... i'm still confused as to which direction the final velocity of A goes...

The direction is the direction which converse momentum. If B is on the right and moving right to left. And A is on the left moving left to right. A and B will collide . After the collision B is still moving Left, A has to now be moving left as A cannot go through B.
Original post by thxmas7
The direction is the direction which converse momentum. If B is on the right and moving right to left. And A is on the left moving left to right. A and B will collide . After the collision B is still moving Left, A has to now be moving left as A cannot go through B.

ok thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest