The Student Room Group

Is a pedophile who doesn't act on their urges evil in your opinion.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Screwsocietyy
It would make them evil because they are sexually attracted to children.

So people are inherently evil now? Damn this is worse than the Bible and its apple.
So what if I am?

Do you think serial killers are evil?
Definitely-they still think like that...even though they didn't act upon it, I would still see them as a monster..
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Do you think serial killers are evil?

Depends who they kill.
Depends who they kill.

Well in your case it sounds an awful lot like everybody on the planet is the goal...
Original post by Nidhoggr
If they never act on it, they're not a peadophile.

Like if I dream about murdering everyone around me but never act on it, am I a murderer?.....of course not.

This is where an important distinction comes in.

A paedophile is sexually attracted to prepubescent children, whilst a child molester has sexual contact with children.

One can be a paedophile without being a child molester, but one can also be a child molester without being a paedophile.

Imagine the correlation being like a ven diagram.
Original post by picklescamp
lol grow up, I admire people who deny their natural impulses for the sake of other people's wellbeing.

how is this something to admire? surely it's the bare minimum you should do as a human being?

it's like saying, "wow, you had the urge to rape someone but you didn't. i admire that. go you"
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Evil is not a term I often use. It reeks of religion. I think it's admirable they possess the restraint to not act upon their desires.

I don't judge people for thoughts or desires that are our of their control. At the end of the day it's actions (and inaction) that matters.

Isn't that a dodgy route to go through? So only religion appreciates good and evil? (Not purposely trying to twist your words if it looks like it.)
Reply 68
They still think about it though.

Cool lets make some thought crimes
Reply 69
I don't think it should be accepted but it does not make someone evil.

The fact that salon.com says that people on the right are worse and uses a paedophile to do it is wrong.
Reply 70
An odd question,

the sexuality of one such person is out of their control, though that does not make these thoughts right in any way, shape or form. The thoughts themselves are evil, but is the pedophile instinctively evil if they don't act on it?

I am unsure, but to answer the question i don't think they are evil until they give in and act upon these thoughts.
Nope, not if they haven't acted upon it.

It is totally out of their control.
Reply 72
There will be a lot people who are sexually attracted to children but they will never act on it and harm a child. If you knew someone thought this way would you see them as a monster?

I am in no way saying condoling pedophilia but its a wiring of their brains thats wrong. They don't choose to feel what the feel, like most reasonable people can understand a homosexual doesn't choose to be a homosexual, its the way they are. When someone has those urges and never acts on them cos they know its wrong, i think that makes them a pretty amazing person in some respect
Pedophiles may not necessary chose to be attracted to children but they all should still be put down.

Not really, it's like saying homosexuals should be put down...

It's an uncontrollable attraction, I'm sure they would rather not feel like an outcast in society but they obviously can't help it. Why should they be put down?
Original post by LostGirlOnTheRun
Definitely-they still think like that...even though they didn't act upon it, I would still see them as a monster..

But why, it's not like they can control it?

I really hate this thought process, because honestly this is a perfect example of the stigma attached to mental illness and disorders. Which the same reason why these people you consider "monsters" never speak up about it and get any form of help.

It is honestly the same as saying "I see a schizophrenic as a monster because they aren't normal". It just isn't okay.
Original post by tanyapotter
how is this something to admire? surely it's the bare minimum you should do as a human being?

it's like saying, "wow, you had the urge to rape someone but you didn't. i admire that. go you"

I suppose there's urges and then there's something which you're hardwired to pursue which you have to suppress through your entire life. Being a rapist isn't a sexuality. Your sexuality is absolutely intrinsic to who you are as a person and it takes a lot of strength to suppress it. Most people can't even comprehend what that must be like. So yeah, I would say they have a lot more strength than most people and I do respect that strength.
Original post by LostGirlOnTheRun

They were born like that...
Reply 77
No.

I have thought about killing people. But those people deserve to be killed.

That's what every murderer tells themselves.
By classifying pedophilic thoughts as a mental illness we're putting it on the path to normalization.
But the still sexually attracted to them.

Yea but everyone has filthy disgusting fantasies, please.

It's about the self control factor and if you can control it cool. I dunno anyone with a completely stainless mind...and if they do have a prudent mind then they're technically not good people for not doing anything wrong...since they never think of doing anything wrong.

Thoughts are non existent and worthless until acted on anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending