The Student Room Group

I'm undecided: should I vote in or out?

It's not easy to come to a decision especially considering that this will probably be one of the most important things I have a say in, it doesn't help that I have little knowledge of economics/politics.
just explain the reasons for your decision. I just saw lord sugar say less trade and less investment means that there will be less growth and less jobs. IS HE RIGHT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BMRq96sAwk
Reply 1
Its a difficult one because both sides have positives and negatives. Personally i was undecided until recently and now i'm leaning to leave because the reasons to stay in have got ridiculous. The one that tipped me was the "you cant eat butter if you leave the EU" Economicly, everyone disagrees with everyone else. Manufacturers seem to usually want out as it will give them the possibility to sell to a wider audience. The idea that extra tariffs will be added to the import of British goods will be cancelled out by the amount that we will save sending to the EU
BUT
for In you lose the worry of having to re-establish trading agreements and economicly we will continue along the same path as we are.
No one really knows what is going on. Most academics don't know so its almost impossible to know everything about it but, you have to look at what is offered and pick the side that has the good things you find more important. When looking for information i wouldn't recommend staying with the BBC for all info. that who i tried and its very one sided.

Good Luck
Reply 2
Have you seen brexit the movie yet?
Reply 3
vote out , Alan sugar and people like David Cameron are acting solely in their own interests and basically all of what they say is fear mongering Bs . So in short no he isn't right if we leave ,the uk economy will become far stronger , not only that we will also at long last have our own say in our futures at the end of the day why should some fat cat in Brussels determine how we live our lives
It is difficult to actually make a decision what with there being so much political spin and manipulation from both the leave and remain campaigns, that it is simply unfeasible to make a rational decision on the basis of these two since they both whip up completely irrational fears of immigration and the economy. Obviously if these 2 are the most common sources of information, it'd be critical to refer to a fact checking source (the BBC one is quite good for assessing the claims made incl. some reference to Alan Sugar's remarks albeit from a different set of lips: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35603388).

That being said many of the 'if we leave, if we stay then this will happen...' claims are just too speculative, we see it with our forecasts for economic progress that they are rarely fulfilled and so the claims from both camps should be taken with a pinch of salt. I am skewed in favour of remaining in the EU because then we can genuinely press forward with reforms rather than just abandoning it completely and leaving ourselves with no influence rather than little influence. The way I view it is that the infrastructure for many things in this country have been established in the context of the EU (with specific reference to trade deals) and so to leave would mean new trade deals would have to be initiated rather than continuing with the pre-existing, so that does slow things down. In reality you should gauge this on what affects you and not this 4800 quid per family nonsense because the likelihood is that in the bigger context, individuals will never see exactly 4800 come back into their accounts or the alleged 350 million spent on the EU being spent on hospitals and whatever else has been claimed - thus this is your best bet to take and from MY PERSPECTIVE this means remaining is the better choice. I guess the most important thing to do though is actually register and turn out to vote because really the representatives sent to the EU only 35% of people vote for them and this sends eurosceptic UKIP MEPs, so clearly not an accurate representation of the country to say the least, so please do make sure your voice is heard instead of allowing others to do it for you!
Reply 5
[video="youtube;LF3Ivy3_vIY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF3Ivy3_vIY[/video]
Honestly do your own research and make your own mind up.
Reply 7
Thanks for your replies
(edited 7 years ago)
We will probably keep most of the trade if we leave, but we will still be bound by regulations if we sign a trade deal with the EU, similar to Norway and Switzerland, and would likely still have to contribute to the EU although it would be a slightly smaller amount, and we wouldn't have a say in EU parliament which we do utilise. Bear in mind countries and companies have said the UK will be less desirable if it leaves the EU.

If 'democracy' and 'sovereignty' is an issue for you we would be able to make amendments to our own laws and regulations, however as mentioned previously if we wish to maintain trade we would still have to keep at least 10% of EU regulations. Bear in mind that the laws in the EU range from being designed to protect the single market to humanitarian acts e.g allowing free movement.

If you want an example of EU regulations in effect take the Talbot steel works, the government is not permitted to nationalise it completely as it would be an unfair disadvantage to competing companies, however it permits subsidies for private investors to buy a part of the company as well as allowing the government to by a small portion.
You may want to know:
10% of doctors and 4% of nurses are from the EU.
We are able to prevent EU nationals entering the UK without valid documents (in the EU).
We make a net contribution of £13b per year to the EU (we get £5b worth of subsidies).
Human rights are protected by the ECHR which we will not leave (this includes the deportation of criminals).
OPINIONS BEYOND THIS POINT

Spoiler

I do not mean to start an argument, please pick a bone with someone else :smile:
Reply 9
I am voting out!
Reply 10
You should always do your own research and form your own opinions, but if you want advice...

Vote Leave!
if your a millionaire vote in dade will protect you other wise vote out as your gonna get f***ed
Original post by sullyomo
It's not easy to come to a decision especially considering that this will probably be one of the most important things I have a say in, it doesn't help that I have little knowledge of economics/politics.
just explain the reasons for your decision. I just saw lord sugar say less trade and less investment means that there will be less growth and less jobs. IS HE RIGHT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BMRq96sAwk

If you cut all the random stats out (both sides seem to have good sounding stats and bad sounding stats and there's scaremongering weaved in among all of it so we could be here for years going back and forth) then the EU debate is more or less as follows:

If we stay in, we know what we're getting, we know what we're doing as in effect we keep doing what we're doing now. Some people think it's absolute rubbish, some think it's not.
The plan for leaving has a lot more hypothetical things, we don't really know for sure how much things like trade will be effected, or how the government will use the saved money (although we can immediately disregard some of the brexit people I've seen on facebook who appear to believe the money will magically save the NHS). The reality is the out camp doesn't really have a solid, completely thought out plan, becuz politik spin means every out voter is voting out for slightly different reasons. It's more of a gamble, really.

My opinion, which is probably the part you wanna ignore most of to come to your own decision:

Spoiler

Reply 13
Original post by Retired_Messiah
If you cut all the random stats out (both sides seem to have good sounding stats and bad sounding stats and there's scaremongering weaved in among all of it so we could be here for years going back and forth) then the EU debate is more or less as follows:

If we stay in, we know what we're getting, we know what we're doing as in effect we keep doing what we're doing now. Some people think it's absolute rubbish, some think it's not.
The plan for leaving has a lot more hypothetical things, we don't really know for sure how much things like trade will be effected, or how the government will use the saved money (although we can immediately disregard some of the brexit people I've seen on facebook who appear to believe the money will magically save the NHS). The reality is the out camp doesn't really have a solid, completely thought out plan, becuz politik spin means every out voter is voting out for slightly different reasons. It's more of a gamble, really.

My opinion, which is probably the part you wanna ignore most of to come to your own decision:

Spoiler

Thanks!!:smile:
Reply 14
What Lord Sugar said was right, it will ultimately lead to reduced investment thus reduced government spending (i.e. not making the NHS any better, and would probably mean you'll have to start paying for your own treatment).

However, ceteris paribus, the Bank of England will make sure interest rates fall even more to increase consumption and then investment. I don't think it would make much of a difference considering it has been at it's lowest since 2009...

Anyway, yeah man like what others have said you should do your own research and make up your own mind. I would chose to stay in though, because my background is from immigrant parents and I think having the opportunity to travel around Europe is a good thing for business and for leisure.
Don't fall for either side's scaremongering tactics. Do your own research and understand what and how the EU influences Britain economically and socially and then see if you're happy with it. I am personally against a federalist Europe but that's purely because I don't believe in 'big' government and centralised rule.
Original post by 999tigger
Honestly do your own research and make your own mind up.

You can say that again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
I will vote out!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending