The Student Room Group

I don't know where to turn. Help me, please.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tammio
It's not that hard to not copy.

I am glad that you had a good education and was taught the foundations of writing a controlled assessment on a book. I didn't have that chance. I did my GCSE English Language within eight months not two years. I applied for my GCSE English thinking of doing my foundation exam instead I am doing the Higher paper. I left school at thirteen.
Perhaps you re take English with another exam board privately? Controlled assessments are not part of the new curriculum as far as i know so you could just sit the exam if you really wanted to ( of course it would be a lot of work!). I hope things turn out well for you although as other people have said , there isn't much you can do :frown: .

Posted from TSR Mobile
I appreciate you are a mature student and so various things about studying you are no fmailiar with.

Your main objective it so clear your mind nad get on with other exams.

If you are doing an access to education course and you need GCSE English as part of your uni offer, then sit it to try and get a C and then resit it again at your leisure.

I think the Quality manager's report was fair.
1. Whether or not you knew you were breaking the rules is not important for this case. Its whether or not you carried out the prohibited act.
2. Read the report and see what they found.
3. Ask for a copy of the form.
4. Part of this is the teachers responsibility as they sign a declaration form about the content of the coursework and their checks. If they are teaching new students or inexperienced ones and there is a sanction for plagiarism, then they should have made you aware. Its not just the college. If theyd seen and marked yours then it should have struck home that there was no referencing or bibliography. As far as i recall most of my information came from my lecturers, followed up by checking rules.
5. If you feel betrayed then follow it up and follow their complaints procedure and beyond. Ive already repeated you need to focus on your exams. Im not altogether convinced id feel the same level of betrayal as the rules are freely available. Dont let it eat you up till after your exams.
6. Not sure why the presence of a Students Union has much relevance. You can contact the main NUS This person appears to be their rep for FE
http://www.nus.org.uk/en/who-we-are/how-we-work/further-education/

Perhpas they cna help uoi focus what your complaint is and you get the balance correct. Goog luck anyway . You might just be able to do the coursework as the resit, you should check.
Reply 23
Original post by Michelle-Annie
I am glad that you had a good education and was taught the foundations of writing a controlled assessment on a book. I didn't have that chance. I did my GCSE English Language within eight months not two years. I applied for my GCSE English thinking of doing my foundation exam instead I am doing the Higher paper. I left school at thirteen.

Why did you leave school at 13?

and btw not copying someone isn't a lesson controlled assessments should teach you, its something that you should already know...
(edited 7 years ago)

If its with an aim of getting you onto another course, then get the C and then talk to the people in charge of the access course to ensure you are not affected.
Original post by leopard923
Perhaps you re take English with another exam board privately? Controlled assessments are not part of the new curriculum as far as i know so you could just sit the exam if you really wanted to ( of course it would be a lot of work!). I hope things turn out well for you although as other people have said , there isn't much you can do :frown: .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your reply. I have already been informed that I should succeed with my course even with 46/80.
Therefore, I should not have to re-sit my exam.
I am just upset at my college not taking responsibility just as much as I do.
Original post by 999tigger
If its with an aim of getting you onto another course, then get the C and then talk to the people in charge of the access course to ensure you are not affected.

Once again, 999tigger, thank you for your advice and support. I should attend Access To Higher Education at the same college in September. I have already been told there will be nothing on my file. Therefore, this incident will not affect my further studies.
I am looking for a summer course to assist me with non-fictional essay writing. I have no problem with creative writing, speaking, listening, debating, note taking, research, and I am also attending the Cambridge Advanced English classes. I just need to get more insight on how to do my search without being influenced by my findings and to dispose of bad habits so as to not repeat the same mistake. Because if it happens again then it won't be an accident.

I want to do a Degree In Law, therefore, an accusation of plagiarism was a total shock to me. However, it is better this incident happens now than while being in UNI.

Thank you
Thank you for your reply. I have already been informed that I should succeed with my course even with 46/80.
Therefore, I should not have to re-sit my exam.
I am just upset at my college not taking responsibility just as much as I do.

I'm sorry to hear about your current situation but they probably aren't taking as much responsibility on this subject since they are used to students knowing very well that plagiarism is something that is penalized. It's not your fault you didn't know but you have to understand that the majority of students that the college teach, know that by taking the exam have already agreed to not plagiarising their work.
Original post by Banana208
I'm sorry to hear about your current situation but they probably aren't taking as much responsibility on this subject since they are used to students knowing very well that plagiarism is something that is penalized. It's not your fault you didn't know but you have to understand that the majority of students that the college teach, know that by taking the exam have already agreed to not plagiarising their work.

I agree. Since my English writing and vocabulary is advanced, I believe they didn't take into account the fact that I never wrote non-fictional essays. In a way, I should feel flattered. Thank you.
I agree. Since my English writing and vocabulary is advanced, I believe they didn't take into account the fact that I never wrote non-fictional essays. In a way, I should feel flattered. Thank you.

No problem:biggrin: I've experienced this myself that coming from a grammar school , school/ colleges tend to assume that everyone's minds are on the same page without thoroughly checking if everyone has a great understanding of what they are supposed to be doing.
Good luck in the rest of your exams and don't let this occupy your mind any longer. In the end its one minor result that you will forget about completely when it comes to higher levels of education or uni..
Ahh so more my territory.

Sorry for all the repetition, but I keep trying to impress on you the importnat points as to what the correct battles to fight are.
... usual stuff about focus on exams.
... further stuff on if you want to complain, that does take energy, so if you want to take that forward, then complain well amd control your argument.
You dont see the teacher as responsible. I see its all three of you. When you get to do your law degree then you will be told ignorance of the law is no defence etc.
... It has been a very good lesson to learn to prep you for the degree. You just need to know how to reference properly. It wasnt a priblem till compiters, the unternet and essay writing made copying much more likely. Now you have been stung you can get your lecturer to address it directly.

Your law degree will part essays and part problem questions.
I haven't been completely honest with my first post. I felt ashamed :ashamed2:

Michelle-Annie

Just make a business, research about what the market as to offer you and go from there.
Don't waste your time.

Thank you for your reply. I have spoken to other students in my class, and none of them recall signing a form where our sources, etc. could have been quoted. We signed a student notes form before each controlled assessment, not a declaration that the work provided was entirely ours. We indeed signed a form about our assessments, alongside other paperwork before Easter Monday, but once again everyone I have spoken to do not recall this form was to quote our sources. We were being rushed to signed all our documents that day because the Programme Manager English. Essential Skills. School of Humanities and Applied Sciences wanted all the GCSE English paperwork forwarded to AQA as soon as possible. Even, our teacher was surprised about the rush.
I thank you for your advice.

The front sheet of the AQA declaration form has a section which asks if you had help from anyone other than your teacher and below that, to list any books etc which you have used in writing your essays. It's the first thing you are asked after your name and centre number. Here it is:

http://store.aqa.org.uk/admin/crf_pdf/AQA-ENL03-W-CRF-16.PDF

(You may have done a different variation of syllabus to this, but the declaration is the same for all of them.)

You and your friends may not recall having signed such a thing, but I'm afraid that you did.
Original post by poundsoffat
Here's story time, i remember the first time i just copied an essay and handed it and somehow out of all the essays in the world another student in the same class as me also handed in the same essay, the teacher being super smart knew we plagiarised and asked us to actually do this essay again, at that time i'd also never heard of plagiarism and i was told about it and i was like ohhhhhh..... well then. (thankfully i didn't get in trouble)

however it's wrong of the place you were being taught at to not give you those, i definitely remember signing a sheet which said all the work i produced was mine and mine only.

unfortunately people just don't care now a days :frown: i feel sorry for you but like everyone else here has stated you must move on sadly

All I know is fighting for your rights gives you satisfaction and you might even win it
and you'll be an example for other people but this is going to be hard
and do u think that you should waste that energy on this than getting good results in other subjects or even putting more effort in this !!
my teacher lost my controlled assessments I got a D when I got an A
i worked hard and got a B overall
i got an A in the exam this made me feel atleast I didn't fail now I am at college and all this means nothing so WORK hard girl !! follow your instinct
Original post by Missimperfect18
All I know is fighting for your rights gives you satisfaction and you might even win it
and do u think that you should waste that energy on this than getting good results in other subjects or even putting more effort in this !!
i got an A in the exam this made me feel atleast I didn't fail now I am at college and all this means nothing so WORK hard girl !! follow your instinct

Thank you and congratulation!
Wow! Having your controlled assessment lost must be devastated! I feel for you. Well done. What an inspiration! 💪
Original post by Missimperfect18

Thank you and congratulation!
Wow! Having your controlled assessment lost must be devastating! I feel for you. Well done. What an inspiration! 💪
Perhaps I've gotten the wrong end of the stick here, but from your initial post this doesn't sound like the issue was that you weren't given an opportunity to properly quote your sources, it sounds like you've amalgamated several pieces of work not belonging to you, to look like a unique piece of work. These are two very different things.

The first is someone inserting something that is clearly a quote from elsewhere, to support their own work, but have either forgotten to or not been able to properly reference it and therefore been penalised as a result. This is harsh, but happens and is a valuable lesson.

The latter is someone cobbling together multiple other people's work and passing it off on their own, which is pretty much the entire definition of plagiarism. This it totally deserved and it should be common sense that this isn't acceptable. This would be immediately picked up by the exam board's anti-plagiarism software (if not by the teachers reading it).

As I say, if it's the former then possibly the teachers have something to answer for, by not informing you how to reference properly. If it's the latter then it is obvious why this has happened - it isn't your work, regardless of how much effort putting together the different sources was. I have sympathy for you, but really I think you should count yourself as having gotten off fairly lucky given it will not appear on any record and you can still pass without this assessment.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
The front sheet of the AQA declaration form has a section which asks if you had help from anyone other than your teacher and below that, to list any books etc which you have used in writing your essays. It's the first thing you are asked after your name and centre number. Here it is:

http://store.aqa.org.uk/admin/crf_pdf/AQA-ENL03-W-CRF-16.PDF

(You may have done a different variation of syllabus to this, but the declaration is the same for all of them.)

You and your friends may not recall having signed such a thing, but I'm afraid that you did.

I believe this form is the one we signed before Easter Holiday. We were rushed and we had so many paperwork to check because the programme manager wanted all GCSE assessments forwarded to the examining board. Althought there still were four weeks deadline left!
Always read it before you sign up to it. Form couldnt be much clearer. I wouldnt worry though its just a bit of knowledge you need to learn.
I believe this form is the one we signed before Easter Holiday. We were rushed and we had so many paperwork to check because the programme manager wanted all GCSE assessments forwarded to the examining board. Althought there still were four weeks deadline left!

I'm afraid that you won't be allowed to plead that as an excuse. The college will have been given a deadline by the AQA to submit the coursework. The paperwork will have been sent by the board to the college with the required folders marked out, and the college will have had to submit them by that time. I'm afraid the responsibility rests with you to read what you are signing and to fill it in in accordance with the rules, as it does with all legally binding documents in all areas of life. The declaration is easy to understand. If you had cited your sources, then you would not have been committing plagiarism and the problem would not have arisen. I'm sorry if I sound unsympathetic, but as a teacher who has been responsible for getting hundreds of students, of all levels of ability, to fill in this form, I don't really think you can blame others for not your reading it properly. There will be no appeal possible for this. As I am sure you will understand, anyone could plead that they didn't understand or were in too much of a rush to read it properly, and that would make it impossible to prevent plagiarism.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest